WTF is it with yoga mats and dogs?!

Options
I have gone through two yoga mats in the past three years (one was the regular flat kind, one is a thick foam one). EVERY TIME I take in a dog (I own 2, I try to have one rescue foster at a time), the dog decides to use my yoga mat for a pee pad! It does not matter that the dog is potty trained! It does not matter that they were JUST outside! Something about the stupid yoga mats call to their puppy bowels and bladders.

Gah!

And because the culprits lately have been the rescues, I can't really yell at them because they get *SUPER* freaked out if their human is mad at them. I know how to train dogs, and I know I will train them out of this, but its just *bizarre*.

Does anyone else have to defend their yoga mats from canine excretions?

Replies

• cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    LMAO Is it possible to keep the dogs outside or at least in another room with the door closed when you are going to use the yoga mats. Also keep the mats in a closet or room that they can't get into. I think they are just trying to mark the mats as their territory... LMAO :wink:
  • NightWriteMermaid
    Options
    I had this with my cats when I had them. Also certain articles of clothing. I'm really not sure what it is about these particular items that causes animals to feel the need to "let go". I started storing mine in the closet and shutting the door. My then Akita decided to rebel in the name of her feline companions, and proceeded to rip apart one of my stuffed animals.

It's a war, I tell you. Just like men and toilet seats. ;-)

Edit: Just to clarify, I didn't get rid of any of my pets. My Akita passed away, and my old flatmate asked to keep the cats when my partner and I moved. (I re-read my post and realised that it looked like I forcibly removed my animals.)
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Maybe they were trained with (something similar to) these mats in the past? For instance in the pound?
  • riginthering
    Options
    And because the culprits lately have been the rescues, I can't really yell at them because they get *SUPER* freaked out if their human is mad at them. I know how to train dogs, and I know I will train them out of this, but its just *bizarre*.

Does anyone else have to defend their yoga mats from canine excretions?

If you truly knew how to train dogs, you'd know that yelling at ANY dog accomplishes nothing.

I don't yell, but if I even use my stern voice, they freak out and go hide. My dogs are rescues from fighting rings, not just puppies someone gave up.
  • riginthering
    Options
    Maybe they were trained with (something similar to) these mats in the past? For instance in the pound?

I doubt it. Both my dad's dog and my youngest dog, I got directly from their litters, and my current rescue was found tied to a pole outside, half-starved, and being used as a bait dog. I don't think anyone bothered with mats. :-/
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Cats & dogs must be trying to get back at the human race for those silly yoga cat/dog calendars (one of my guilty pleasures!). Seriously, I think the rubber/foam traps human scent and the pets feel compelled to mark over it. (BTW: I wash mine frequently so it should be relatively clean!) It's also possible that it resembles the potty pads they were encouraged to use elsewhere. And then when one pet marks it, no matter how well you think you cleaned it, the others (or the same pet) may try to re-mark it again… Very frustrating and gross - totally.

My suggestion - instead of fighting what may be a natural urge in pets, just try to keep your mat up & away from them. Such as kept in a closet or closed room, or rolled and propped upright. My mats often hanging from a shower or closet rod to dry/air out. (I hang mine to dry after washing or just to air them out... I also spritz with a homemade diluted witchhazel & essential oil yoga mat spray to help keep the nasties at bay.)
  • riginthering
    Options
    Cats & dogs must be trying to get back at the human race for those silly yoga cat/dog calendars (one of my guilty pleasures!). Seriously, I think the rubber/foam traps human scent and the pets feel compelled to mark over it. (BTW: I wash mine frequently so it should be relatively clean!) It's also possible that it resembles the potty pads they were encouraged to use elsewhere. And then when one pet marks it, no matter how well you think you cleaned it, the others (or the same pet) may try to re-mark it again… Very frustrating and gross - totally.

My suggestion - instead of fighting what may be a natural urge in pets, just try to keep your mat up & away from them. Such as kept in a closet or closed room, or rolled and propped upright. My mats often hanging from a shower or closet rod to dry/air out. (I hang mine to dry after washing or just to air them out... I also spritz with a homemade diluted witchhazel & essential oil yoga mat spray to help keep the nasties at bay.)

Awesome. Witch hazel makes a lot of sense. I've been using simple green, since this mat is too big to fit in the washer, but I *hate* how that stuff smells.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    Simple Green (or any degreasing-type cleaners) *might* break down the mat materials. (Or not - I'm no expert.) I had a yogi warn me against spraying my mat with Lysol spray (Heck, I didn't know better.)… and then she shared some tips about making my own mat spray, which I use after washing with a teeny bit of gentle and natural dish soap and lots of water. I don't do it in the laundry either, I wipe it with a soapy cloth and hose it off in the shower... or outside in the summer. I also do Bikram (hot) yoga, so I can't not wash the mat or I'll gross myself right out of half locust pose.

Here's "my" homemade yoga mat recipe:
    http://fitnessista.com/2013/10/homemade-yoga-mat-spray/

This one uses unscented witch hazel (recommended so it doesn't conflict with the oil scents). Tea tree and eucalyptus oil have anti-microbial properties - and smell good too. Don't forget you can totally make your own custom essential oil cocktail. I visit natural foods stores and collect oils when they go on sale. (WF sells tea tree and eucalyptus oils in big bottles for cheap, but most of their other oils are pricey - so watch for sales!) Also look for some cute spritzing bottles, too.

You can also use white vinegar if you prefer:
    http://ohsheglows.com/2012/05/11/all-natural-yoga-mat-cleaner-my-exercise-routine/

Enjoy and namaste!!!

Edited to fix wrong link. Doh.
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Too funny (sorry). But I've had that with my dog where he would chew the crotch out of anything I wore from the waist down----
    even if it was CLEAN!! Must be a territory thing. And then a cat who would pee on the bed.

I wanted to say thank you to you for taking in these animals. I am not able due to where I live, but I can say I am thankful for the people who do.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    My dogs are under the impression that the yoga mat is their bed. My cats think its a scratch pad.
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Maybe your dog is making a social commentary on yoga?
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I KNOW, RIGHT?! I've gone through so many.....my little dog would pee on it all the time (once when I was using it!). But, unfortunately he passed away and thankfully, my big dog doesn't do that (although, she LOVES laying on it. She tries to push me off to lay on it!).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    So weird! Mine is in a room that stays closed. My cat has used it as a scratching post when she sneaked in there though.
  • riginthering
    Options
    Yeah, my cat totally has shredded my previous yoga mat. Part of the reason I finally put it aside. Now the cat has decided she's married to my roommate, so she's almost never in my room anymore. I usually keep my yoga mat out on the floor in front of my bed so I can roll out of bed into pilates.

When I DO do yoga or pilates, I have to lock my animals out of my room because the big dogs act like I'm having a seizure. They start sniffing me, licking my face, and nosing me hard enough to topple me out of my pose. They're like, "Oh my glob! What are you doing? Are you having some sort of cramp? Here, my tongue fixes cramps! Ack! You're doing something else now. Here! Lay down! *push* Oh, good, you're laying down. Now you're at licking height!"

Butts.
  • riginthering
    Options
    I wanted to say thank you to you for taking in these animals. I am not able due to where I live, but I can say I am thankful for the people who do.

I'm grateful I have a rental that has a yard, and that I can have dogs and that my husband and I make enough money that we can afford to support an extra dog here and there.

This current one had demodetic mange when I got her, and she's just a love-heart, and just lies there while I go over her raw skin for ingrown hairs and impacted pores and stuff, then gives me kisses afterwards. <3
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options

I'm grateful I have a rental that has a yard, and that I can have dogs and that my husband and I make enough money that we can afford to support an extra dog here and there.

This current one had demodetic mange when I got her, and she's just a love-heart, and just lies there while I go over her raw skin for ingrown hairs and impacted pores and stuff, then gives me kisses afterwards. <3

Awwwwwww... You are very kind. :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My cat scratched my yoga mat. Now it sheds green flecks everywhere.