Any gastric bypass patients on here

Options

Replies

• briendM
    briendM Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the surgery yet. But I have an orientation in March to go to.

Pros and Cons? What about saggy skin? How bad is it? I have a LOT of weight to lose...
  • bwilton77
    bwilton77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am having my surgery in the next month and am looking for some friends who have had it. Would love tips, recipes and support and motivation as needed.
  • mzbel
    mzbel Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, i had my bypass Dec of 2009, I have done great, lost 125 pounds. Recently well over the last year, I have put on about 20 pounds, now I"m struggling to get them off. Sometimes its hard to start over and get motivated. Anyone else going through anything similar??

Thanks,Isabella
  • Hello I am looking to add people that had gastric bypass or is waiting (like me) to have it done. I don't have anyone to talk to about it so it would be nice to have someone share any questions I may have. I was denied a couple of days ago because I didn't have all my supervised nutritional diets together. I moved from Texas to Missouri with no notice because my husband was getting a job transfer. So it took me awhile to find a doctor I could trust my life with. Which also made a gap in my 6th month diet. Which is why I was denied. So back on my 6 months of diets (yay not). I had one Friday. So 5 more to go. Even made all my appointments for the next 5 just to make sure noting happens. (Praying nothing does) So I am a little discouraged. Hoping nothing else comes up the next time around.
  • rosannaawadallah
    Options
    I had mine done about a year an half ago now, and about four month ago I started noticing that my cloths were getting a little tight. So yes I was gaining some of the weight back. I wanted to stop it right away. So I worked our about15 min more. You know nip it in the butt, but it wasn't even that. I'm still working on the reason behind my eating issues. We and I mean the people who eat because of everything and anything. I'm now seeing a nutritionist who is also a minister and we're trying to figure out why I feel like I have to turn to food for anything. But anyways as a general rule you should be eating out a cup of food for a meal and two sensible snacks. I have to tell myself all the time that for the first eight month after the surgery I lived through just fluid. So I will not die if I don't feel full or satisfied after a cup of food. I WILL BE OK AND I WILL CONTINUE TO LIVE. LOL So it's all about retraining our brain and that's a life time of work. But I believe in myself and I refuse to go buy a bigger size pants, shirts or underwear. Remember it took a life time for us to get over weight or obese so it'll take the rest of our life's to retrain our brains. I hope this Helps. And remember you can always keep asking questions. :-D
  • rosannaawadallah
    Options
    Yes it take every last bit of strength that I have to tell myself that 30-45 minute work out is worth it. But you know once I go to the gym I work out hard. But yes I gain 15 so I'm trying really hard to drop that 15 and more.
  • joellemj
    Options
    I had mine in 2003, which was 11 years ago. I lost 150 lbs..and now have gained 50 back.. I feel miserable and I need to get this weight off.. I am noticing that I am eating way too many carbs..craving them, and get shaky often...sigh..
  • Hnasmom
    Hnasmom Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm a potential candidate for gastric bypass or lap band, and working through the six months prior. I have a question about if it is worth it. It definitely is a huge life commitment and major surgery. If I had 110 lbs to use, wouldn't losing 1-2lbs a week get me there in a year, the same as the surgery? Isn't just that the surgery helps get the weight off quicker in the beginning.
    Also, as I evaluate any people feel strongly about one (bypass) or the (band) and any regrets? Anyone else planning to have it soon?
  • jennylynne79
    jennylynne79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've started my process for the Sleeve... Looking at surgery around the begining of April!! :bigsmile:
  • DaniLynn63
    DaniLynn63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had bypass on 1/8/14 I have lost 46 lbs and am doing well, some problems with meat but cant complain. I am interested in finding friends to share my journey to a new healthy life style. feel free to add me as a friend.
  • abccanizares
    Options
    Anyone still on here from this group? I am 4 yrs out went from 269lbs to lowest 139. I also lift heavy done two golds gym challenges and have gotten a personal training cert. I know what to do but the diets don't seem to work for me. When I eat chicken or eggs so get nauseated. Any advice dr gave no support after surgery.
    Colleen
    And yes lift ladies muscle burns fat even at rest
  • tricia2395
    Options
    Yes. I gained about 6 pounds since I had surgery in 2007. But, I had a bad A1c at my last doctor appointment and she has given me 3 months to try to get back to a good result or she wants me to go back on pills. I only lost 45 pounds after my surgery, but kept it off until 2013. I believe it was the two vacation trips to Mexico last year. I wasn't thinking about how much sugar is in those wonderful fruity drinks they serve you every time you turn around. I didnt gain any weight until Thanksgiving though, so I am not sure what threw the balance off, but it just went out of control. I am trying very hard to get back on track. Some days are much better than others though. I had the exact same lunch two days in a row. Two hours after the meal on the first day, my blood sugar was 153. After the meal on the second day (same exact meal) it was 217?? I am a little frustrated because it seems to be so much more than just what I eat. One night I took a reading before dinner when I got home for work..........it was 95. I don't think it has ever been that low and I had a usual day........nothing like I didnt eat all day or anything. And it has never been that low again. It is usally in the 130ish range or 140 at the best.
  • tricia2395
    Options
    congratulations on your weight loss. looks like you are doing great. I had surgery in 2007. I only lost 45 pounds, but I was off the meds and loving it. I remember it being very easy the first few years. I really didnt feel much like eating. But, then my appetite came back. I don't eat a lot, but I want more variety. I have gained a few pounds recently and I am working very hard to conquer that. I like the Lavash bread with turkey breast and veggies in a roll up. Very few carbs and lots of protein. My daughter created what we call BEAN PASTE PIZZA........sounds gross, tastes awesome. LAVASH BREAD, REFRIED BEAN SPREAD ON, SAUTEED ONIONS, GREEN AND RED PEPPERS, HOT PEPPERS AND LOW FAT CHEESE SPRINKLED ON TOP. 7 mins in toaster oven and it is so goooooooood. You should try it.
  • tricia2395
    Options
    That is so true about people thinking you do it just because you are too lazy to lose the weight yourself. I resisted the surgery for a long time until my cousin had it and found that she could do without her pills for her Diabetes. Then, I discussed it with my doctor. I was not looking to be a beauty queen, just be healthier. So, I decided to try the surgery even though I was told it wasn't always a "cure" for diabetes. But, it did work that way for me. Now, everyday, I use my will power to control my eating and exercise because I never want to go back to that lifestyle. It was so depressing and then the meds would stop working and trying all new ways to control your blood sugar. Very frustrating. Easier to feel healthy and so much better since the surgery. I never want to go back.
  • tricia2395
    Options
    I have heard lots of people having surgery to remove the loose skin after a big weight loss. I only lost 45 pounds and do have sag in stomach, but I am 64 years old and very happy with the way I look. Not trying to impress anyone. Just glad to be off meds for diabetes. That was my only goal. I really don't have much experience though. All I know is that if your doctor says the excess skin is a detriment to your health; your insurance might pay for the surgery. I couldnt get that and it is expensive, so I just live with it.
  • Paula64Lilly
    Options
    I had gastric by pass in 2007 I started out at 310lbs and lost down to 130lbs. On my 5'8" frame I started getting told that I looked un-healthy and need to gain some weight from family and friends. But no matter what I ate I couldn't. I was going through a lot of emotional issue at this time and I think that was primarily why I couldn't. After getting my life back together and became a saner person (lol) I started gaining weight that was 2 years ago and now I can't stop, so here I am back on the diet yo yo. I really don't want to get that skinny again just a healthy 150. So I could use all the support I can get. So if you have any advice I'm open to all suggestions and feel free to add me as a friend, maybe together we can fight this cycle of up and down weight. Cause I'm ready to get off this Mary-Go-Round. ????
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am sooooooooooooooo disappointed in myself.........I never got to my goal weight, BUT I was so ok with the weight I stayed at for 4 years, until I had my boy, but after the pregnancy and being GLUED to my home, I have put on 35 pounds, I am so very miserable, nothing I wear looks good...........I have always worked and staying at home can get really old, I am thankful to be raising my boy but it does get VERY routine.......it's been a huge change for me.......and of course my husband has no clue what I mean, he works 7 on 7 off, so for one week I am home with my boy alone, then the next he spends the week doing what he wants to do, while I am again at home...........can anyone tell I am not a happy camper today LOL, I love my honey, and he is a good man but they really can be oblivious to our need to "get out"

I kind of know what you mean! I have a 15 month old, I am back at work but for the months I was at home I couldn't get any weight off and my hubby had no idea that I was sllllooooowwwllllllyyyyyyy going INSANE! lol! I just told him i had booked an exercise class at the local leisure centre and he had to have the baby!
  • SassySinger17
    Options
    Greetings MFPers! I just joined this site today because I need a kick in the pants!! I had RNY in 2007, lost over 100lbs and was doing great. But over the past 2 years, I've been gradually gaining again and I'm so pissed at myself. :-( My lowest weight, and where I was totally happy, was 155. I mean, I actually weighed what my drivers license said I did. WOOT! But now, 30lbs heavier, and I'm so discouraged. Yeah, I chose what I ate and all that, and it's all my own doing. But being this way has put me in the "screw it, I'm just destined to be fat" mentality and that's no bueno. I LOVE food! And I sometimes eat when I'm not hungry. Yes, BAD MICHELE! C'mon, we have a popcorn machine at work and it flows in abundance! How do you resist FREE popcorn, fer cryin' out loud?!?!

So I recently discovered Personal Trainer Food and I do like it. I just need to STICK TO IT! It's there, it's easy, and it's good food. But I also have one of those boyfriend things that can eat whatever, whenever. He's a manager of a bar that also serves food, and the food is pretty dang good. I don't eat there often at all but it's so tempting. OH! Let me get this in...I'm Italian so I LOVE to cook too! It's hard to stick to the PTF when I want to cook for my guy. He totally understands, and is fine with me eating dinner without him, or before I see him. But *I'M* the one that wants to cook and make all the delicious stuff for him.

I also know I need to get butt moving but I've just become so lazy and unmotivated lately. I did my best impression of a slug this weekend and totally NAILED it! Probably goes with the "screw it..." stuff from above. And I have a gym membership. Do I go? Nooooooo!!! That would make sense.

Anyways, maybe being accountable to others, not just myself, is what I need. Anyone in the Sacramento, CA area?
  • olgav70
    olgav70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    I had my GBP done in Augusr 2013. I went from 218 to 173 as of today! I was stragling for years to beat 200, but no matter what I did, it just couldn't. I had lap band for 2 years, and its only made me sick. But now I have more poweful tool! Yes, even now it's not easy, but I"m getting there. My MD wants me to get down to 160-165, but my goal is 150. And this webtool is helping me a lot to analize what I do wrong , if I dont lose on not lose enaugh.My personal secret is to get 70-75 g of protein and 68 oz of non-calorie fluids. It's relly work for me. But some days i just tired and bored, so I crave for the sweets. My sweet tooth is smaller now, but still here. At least I can control myself better. So I know it will take time, dedication nd a lot of motivation to get to my goal and keep it down. This is why I'm here today.
  • SassySinger17
    Options
    Good job, olgav70! You can do it!!! :bigsmile: