well that was a slap in the face. :(

Options
i went grocery shopping last week and bought a bunch of healthy food. i was so proud of myself! about to really get to it. get these last pesky 15-20 pounds off.
for a snack (this morning its my breakfast) i'd purchased a large tub of nonfat vanilla yogurt and some frozen mixed berries to put in it for flavor.

then i checked the label... 36g of sugar in one serving!? ugh.. all this time i've been eating it thinking - this is awesome. its so filling too. but now i realize with all that sugar, i'll never get anywhere. especially geting rid of this belly flub. :frown:

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt is awesome! I buy plain, it has 6 g of sugar, and add vanilla extract lol. It works! Its yummy and has zero fat and TONS of protein :)
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Ouch! Yeah, that yogurt is sneaky! Try adding your fruit to the non-fat, plain Greek style...yum! Also, be sure to check the labels of the frozen fruit as I have seen sugar sneaked into that too.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Always check the labels. The store I went to had two greek style yogurts. One had twice the calories and added sugar. Always check the labels.
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt is awesome! I buy plain, it has 6 g of sugar, and add vanilla extract lol. It works! Its yummy and has zero fat and TONS of protein :)

I second on the greek yogurt!! it is great stuff, I eat it everyday. I love the Chobani brand. It is a little more expensive than regular yogurt, but I think the trade off of less sugar, more protein is worth it!
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is so expensive though! know of any cheaper kinds?
  • Arghhh how annoying! You practically have to be Einstein these days to stay ahead of the game, do the maths and avoid all those sneaky bad sugary things on sale! It really makes me cross. I'd try the Greek yog :o)
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I balk at Greek yogurt's price as well. I usually use the fat-free plain yogurt. Not as much protein but no sugar and easier on the wallet.
  • naturebaby
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • aprylkemper
    aprylkemper Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean - it is a big surprise the amount of sugar they put in most yogurt. if you buy Greek Yogurt, my very favorite it Fage 0% Plain greek yogurt, and you add a packet of Truvia and some frozen no sugar added berries so you'll have a much better treat. Chobani is also a good brand if you can't find Fage but watch out for the Dannon version, they've called it Greek to jump on the bandwagon so it is strained and thicker but it still contains all the sugar and very little protein.
  • millermichellelea
    Options

I love the greek yogurts, FAGE brand is the best!! I buy the kind that has the fruit puree, It does have 26 grams of sugar :sad: .
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Yoplait light non-fat yogurt has 19 grams of carbs. I eat that practically every day. I haven't had any problems.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is so expensive though! know of any cheaper kinds?

I stock up when its on sale and freeze it. There's always coupons out for it in the Sunday paper, too. I would try just regular plain yogurt if you can't buy the Greek.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I refuse to watch my sugar as well as my calories! :laugh:

As long as you're eating a balanced diet, with lots of protein, fruit and veg, I don't think a natural yogurt with natural fruit is going to sabotage your efforts!!

Just my take :flowerforyou:
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I second on the greek yogurt!! it is great stuff, I eat it everyday. I love the Chobani brand. It is a little more expensive than regular yogurt, but I think the trade off of less sugar, more protein is worth it!

I keep hearing about this Greek Yogurt but can't seem to find it. Is it a product that you buy in the states or does someone from Canada know where it is???
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Bummer!! I have to say though... 15 more lbs? Where will it come from?! You're so skinny already!
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bummer!! I have to say though... 15 more lbs? Where will it come from?! You're so skinny already!

oh, trust me its there! belly, thighs... quite jiggly. :laugh:
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    costco has pretty reasonable greek yogurt
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options

As long as you're eating a balanced diet, with lots of protein, fruit and veg, I don't think a natural yogurt with natural fruit is going to sabotage your efforts!!

I am right there with you on this one!!
  • ennoid
    Options
    I add a little honey and fruit to my plain yogurt or Greek yogurt. It gives it just the right touch of sweetness.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options

I am right there with you on this one!!

I third that lol....especially if its sugar from fruit