I'm confused, what does "eating clean" really mean?

Options

Replies

• pixiewings101
    Options
    Thank you for these sites.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    "Eating clean" is diet-speak for being pretentious.

THIS!!!!!!
  • schotas
    schotas Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Tosca Reno has a great book called the Eat Clean Diet Recharged that explains it. Basically, it involves avoiding processed foods and sugar, and eating lots of fruits/veggies/complex carbs/lean proteins--you know...all the stuff we know we need to do to be healthy anyway:smile: . I started eating clean on January 1st, and I've lost 7 pounds so far. It has made me more mindful of what I eat even when we go out to dinner. I don't feel deprived at all. My niece is in excellent shape. She eats clean, and she inspired me to give it a try. I'm really glad I did.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think it is what is the best way to eat for you. For me, clean eating is no process foods, no preservatives, nothing from a can, no fast food, no soft drinks, and very little sugar. I am okay with eating bread made of white flour as long as it have only natural ingredients, no preservatives or added sugar. Some will say there is no way I am eating clean if I have white flour. I know some people who will not eat grains at all, and to eat clean they have to avoid them. I will eat pizza from a local pizza pallor that uses only fresh ingredients, but would never eat Pizza Hut, Domino's, or Papa John's. I I eat lots of fruit, veggies, and lean meat.

For a fast food, soda drinking , process food addict eating clean might just be avoiding those things.

I don't discuss it with people or compare, I know what is good for me and what is not. I feel great and am at my goal weight.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    It means nothing to me. I leave it on the table for other people to worry about it.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Tosca Reno has a great book called the Eat Clean Diet Recharged that explains it. Basically, it involves avoiding processed foods and sugar, and eating lots of fruits/veggies/complex carbs/lean proteins--you know...all the stuff we know we need to do to be healthy anyway:smile: . I started eating clean on January 1st, and I've lost 7 pounds so far. It has made me more mindful of what I eat even when we go out to dinner. I don't feel deprived at all. My niece is in excellent shape. She eats clean, and she inspired me to give it a try. I'm really glad I did.

How do you avoid sugar while eating fruits? Grape juice has twice the sugar of coke..

Not knocking it if it works for you, but we at some point decided that three teaspoons of sugar in a thing of grapes is awesome, but in a can of coke will kill you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

How do you avoid sugar while eating fruits? Grape juice has twice the sugar of coke..

Not knocking it if it works for you, but we at some point decided that three teaspoons of sugar in a thing of grapes is awesome, but in a can of coke will kill you.

But coke will clean an engine, do you want that in your body?!

Not srs.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    dirt, leaves and nuts and berries

pretty much.

stuff thats not processed, usually has only 1 ingred.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options

Not srs.

so does hydrochloric acid and yet it's in the body from birth to help digest stuff
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Not srs.

Now I want baked ham basted in Coke.
    Thanks a lot!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I started eating cleaner a month ago and have lost 8 pounds. For me, I followed recipes I found in Clean Eating magazine or www.cleaneatingmag.com I cut out pop, a lot of processed stuff, ate leaner meats, less cheese, and eat a ton more veggies and fruits. I would rarely eat veggies or fruits and if I did they were smothered in butter or deep fried. I was drinking at least 24 ounces of Dr. Pepper everyday and maybe a glass or two of water a day. I also went from eating out for lunch or dinner 4-5 times a week to maybe once a week. I was eating Whoppers at 10 at night before I went to bed. I would sleep horribly and wake up feeling even crappier. I decided I needed to make a change to a cleaner diet to improve my health.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    It means you wash your food
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

And / or showering before eating!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Not srs.

so does hydrochloric acid and yet it's in the body from birth to help digest stuff

You beat me to it. I don't personally drink coke because I hate anything fizzy (except maybe beer) but oh how I love to hear that particular cliche :smile:

I wander what clean eating has to say about alcohol? Is it "dirty" or "clean" ? Because it's been around forever, historically was often safer to drink than water, and even disinfects :smile:

ok, now I want a craft beer :drinker:
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

And / or showering before eating!

and your hands and utensils.
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    This is clean eating...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WG4x_pCxjo

Clean food has no advertisements....
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    This is clean eating...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WG4x_pCxjo

Clean food has no advertisements....

So Florida oranges aren't "clean".

No. Just no.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It means different things to different people.For the likes of me who are into super heavy lifting it means no junk and only protein.

Only??

It means eating protein rich food.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Not srs.

Yes I know. Like I said, "not serious."
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    For me? It means rinsing the hay off my chickens' eggshells or washing the dirt and random slugs off my lettuce from the garden.

Can also apply to the five second rule.
    Or food thats expired but not smelly yet.
    Or food you forgot at the back of the fridge but you rinse the ick off first.