What's the big deal with Protein Powder?

Options
read the title in your Jerry Seinfeld voice....

Seriously though, what are you guys and gals using it for ? Does it aid in just muscle building, weight loss, and is it an energy booster too ?
What brand or type do you use and what's your experience so far ?

Replies

• popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It can be used for a few things. A lot around here use it to get the proper amount of protein in their daily diet to avoid losing muscle while losing weight. It's also used for gaining muscle when taken in higher doses for those who can use it in their workouts.

I use it to get my protein for the day. I just simply can't consume that amount in my diet. I've used GNC which is good but expensive. Just bought a 5lb of Optimum Nutrition that I've heard rave reviews about.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm actually considering it also.. I can never reach my protein goals.. >.< (not even by half usually)

Protein helps building muscle and muscle burns more calories than fat.. so muscle is your friend. Muscle likes to eat though, so ya gotta feed it not to lose it. We all love muscle more than fat even if it weighs more :)

I assume those are the main reasons, more info about protein powder/shakes etc is welcome though because I was just about to look that up.
  • perrymick
    perrymick Posts: 79 Member
    Options
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I just use a whey protein before and after I lift weights, as it's easy and absorbs quick, and just before I go to bed it have a casein protein that's suppose to be a slower release protein. Brands a chance a lot just to mix it up. But the best tasting iv had is cellucor
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It's just a supplement (same with protein bars, etc.); it's useful if you're having trouble hitting your protein goal, but if you're getting adequate protein just through regular food then there's no need for it.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I love my protein powder. My favorite so far (I choose for flavor, amount of protein and Calories) is Gnc - Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. I use 1 scoop 93 Calories and 20 grams of protein. I use it in shakes for a whole meal, I have and look for recipes that use it. I have one for protein pumpkin muffins( 10 Protein and only 88 calories) and one for homemade Quest Bars. There are a ton of ways to use it. :drinker:
    I just use it to get more protein in my day. :flowerforyou:
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I use it because I have a hard time meeting my protein goals, and it's tasty! I tend to mix it with my coffee in the mornings. Nommy.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Agree with all other posters. It is a nice addition to your nutrition plan when you are making sure you meet your calorie goals.... if you are eating on a deficit to lose weight, it is a great way to get your protein in without additional fat or carbs (depending on the type of protein powder you get) If you are under your calories for the day, it is a great way to "drink your calories" when you are just flat out not hungry. If you tend to get hungry at night, it is an effective meal replacement . I will say it kills hunger pangs for me so I learned to just use it at night. I carry protein powder in packets when I travel as sometimes the meal choices from a nutrition, price and appeal can be pretty darn dismal in some airports at certain times.
  • brillanta
    brillanta Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Is there any protein powder without sugar or sweetners? I don't use sugar on sweetners in my diet as they are triggers for me.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It's just a supplement (same with protein bars, etc.); it's useful if you're having trouble hitting your protein goal, but if you're getting adequate protein just through regular food then there's no need for it.

^^^^ this
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Is there any protein powder without sugar or sweetners? I don't use sugar on sweetners in my diet as they are triggers for me.

I think you can get unsweetened, unflavoured protein powder, but it'll taste gross on its own. But if that's what you prefer, it does exist. You can add it to food (e.g. as part of a recipe) rather than drinking it neat, that's probably the best way to get around this.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just to be different, I eat 150g-160g protein a day through my normal food. I did have Maximilk some time last year for a few days because I managed to get something like 8 bottles for £2. But I'd rather get protein through eating my victims.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Just to be different, I eat 150g-160g protein a day through my normal food. I did have Maximilk some time last year for a few days because I managed to get something like 8 bottles for £2. But I'd rather get protein through eating my victims.

I get adequate protein from woolly mammoth and woolly rhino. There was no protein powder in the middle palaoelithic era, in spite of people trying to sell palaoelithic protein powder: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/08/31/palaeolithic-protein-powder/
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    IDK never used it!
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    For those taking it or just in the know-- how do you know how much protein your body needs?
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes also contain BCAA's (branched chain amino acids) which are essential for muscle growth/maintenance & recovery.

As for the sugar content, they really don't contain that much sugar. I use Optimum Nutrition's 100% Gold Whey Protein. It contains only 1g of sugar per serving, which is 30.4grams. I mix it with Silk Light Almond Milk and it tastes great. I usually have one first thing in the morning, and then 1 immediately following a workout.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    For those taking it or just in the know-- how do you know how much protein your body needs?

A standard rule of thumb is 1g/lb of lean body mass. However, the newest research shows that a person who is dieting, and already pretty lean, benefits more from something more like 1.1-1.5g/lb lbm.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It's basically perfect to deliver protein and little else. Almost everyone tolerates it well, even lactose intolerant people, due to the very low lactose content in most brands.

It aids in muscle recovery after a workout and helps me reach my daily protein goal.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just another way of getting protein. It especially offers the option of getting lean protein with very little fat or carbs. It's also generally cheaper than other options like chicken breast.

Some people believe you should have protein straight after a workout - though if you've had a meal not TOO long ago with protein in it seems it's not particularly important (though the protein powder people would have you believe different.)

Protein is good for growing muscle.
    It is also good for keeping hold of the muscle you already have when eating on a deficit.