Healthly Toppings for Whole Wheat Pasta?

Options
Anyone have any toppings for whole wheat pastas? Dr. Oz says whole wheat pasta is a good thing. So, what are some good things to top it with that won't use all the calories/fat/carbs that you have available for the day?

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I like some Olive Oil with garlic, broccoli and fresh parsley.
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    Fat free sour cream and spinach :flowerforyou:
  • happy115
    Options
    pesto, capers and mushroom
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    homemade tomato sauce? Ground turkey bolognese? grilled chicken and veggies? Basically anything healthy you would put on regular pasta.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    roasted cauliflower w/ flat leaf parsley, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, olive oil, some cheese and breadcrumbs.
    i usually like to keep my apt stocked w/ these basics and then i switch up the veggie.

if you need more protein you can add chickpeas!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I put some olive oil, then put about 3 table spoons of parmesan cheese , and go to town................ My weakness is pasta, so whnen I saw where he recommened it, wow, I was in 7th heaven...

I try to eat it , within a few hours after working out, that way it will burn the calories, and to be honest, Im not that hungry for the rest of the day...........Dr Oz is the man..................Lloyd
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like a stir fry of baby zucchini, red peppers, onions and ripe tomatoes. I add the tomatoes after everything else has caramelized and the cook the tomatoes down to a sauce. You can add a protien if you want, I add shrimp, and when making it for the family, I also add sliced chicken breast. Spice it up as you wish, too.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Diced tomatoes, chopped garlic, olive oil, diced onions, shrimp, chicken, spices, a little bit of fresh grated cheese...
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Brown some garlic with olive oil and sautee some spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, tomato, zucchini and summer squash. Healthy and SUPER FILLING pasta primavera!

ENJOY!
  • sanrog
    sanrog Posts: 68
    Options
    Knorr Pesto sauce (use more water and less olive oil than directions call for), Roasted grape tomatoes, roasted green peppers, and alittle parmesan cheese. yum
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    They all sound great! Keep going! Great ideas!!!
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I make a chicken onion mushroom artichoke, spinach and alfredo sauce to put over mine. Yummy, healthy, and super filling.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I also do this with rice.

I take some cut up chicken breast and cook it in the pan with a little bit of honey and garlic (not premade stuff, but actually honey and actual garlic), then once it caramelizes a bit I add some thawed out frozen veggies or fresh ones depending on what kind I want that night and mixed it all up. then once you have your veggies to the consistency you want it in, go ahead and add the pasta, you can either mix it all in, or I just put it on top of the pasta. It adds just enough flavour to the veggies and pasta when you mix it in without a thick coating being needed.

It is also good if you add some cayenne to the mix while cooking the chicken, but not everyone's taste buds like that.