Strength training and HRM

Options
Heya there
Today I did my workouts finally with an HRM. Doing my strength training, I got my heart up to 150b/m average for 30 mins. Thats alot, so convert into calories and wow about 250 calories. My cardio, I did an hour of different stuff, biking, running, jump rope. My average heart rate doing the biking was 165b/m, running 135b/m and 5 min jump rope 165b/m. Now obviously I would burn more if I did longer sessions of cardio, I did up to 15 mins.

Now the question, is it possible to burn so much doing strength training? I feel the burn, and do get out of breath. I heard that HRM, when you do strength training, are not reliable, also that cardio burns more than strength training.

I hope one of you lovely people can help out!

Replies

• briniepoo
    briniepoo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I can burn any where from 350-500 in an hour of strength training. Keep building muscles. They'll burn more calories all day long.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not accurate for strength training. It is artificially elevated as your heart rate increases at a rate that is not commensurate with the energy expended.
  • Mslibb
    Mslibb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this topic too... So if a HRM isn't accurate, what's a good method for estimating how many calories your burn during strength training? Thanks!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Now the question, is it possible to burn so much doing strength training?

Not really, no. But that's not really the point of the resistance training, you're using that to maintain lean mass, improve strength and muscular endurance.
    I heard that HRM, when you do strength training, are not reliable

It's not. The algorithms in the HRM are designed for steady state training and CV intervals. The pattern of resistance training really isn't appropriate for that method of measurement.
    , also that cardio burns more than strength training.

CV training is certainly a lot more efficient at burning calories, but that's not really the point of CV training either. CV training works your CV system. As an example I ran for 80 minutes yesterday and burned 1000 cals, trying to do that whilst bored to tears throwing weight around would have taken a lot longer than 80 minutes. I'm about to go out for another 40 minute session this morning, anticipate about 500 cals there.

fwiw those figures that you quoted don't look right to me. I'd be expecting to see a higher HR while running than cycling, but if you're only doing 15 minutes of each then you're probably not reaching an optimum HR consistency to really judge.
  • briniepoo
    Options
    @kingscrown
    How do you know how much you burn? Do you estimate?

@Sarauk2sf
    Thanks for the info, so how do you find out what you burn with weight training, is the whole thing an estimation?

@MeanderingMam
    Thanks for the help. When I run, I only do about 8 to 9km/h. I alternate 1 min at 6km/h, 2 min 8km/h, 1 min 9km/h, 2 min 8km/h, 1 min 7km/h, then 8.5 for 2 min, 1 min at 9.5, 2 at 8.5, 2 min at 8, then 1 min at 6km. So yeah, I dont go to fast.

When I cycle I do over 90rpm and I try to keep that rotation as I up the weights on the bike, I dont know the weights, all I know is that I start at level 8, then 9 then 8 then 9, 10, 9, 10, 9, 8, etc.

The reason I only do 15 mins each is that, I get bored to death doing one exercise or another for too long. But I do intend to do 1 long cardio session once a week. Because I only do a short time, I try to go as hard as possible.
  • ChinoHDT
    ChinoHDT Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think you need to get a HRM with a calorie counter installed so possible one with a strap.

I for one know that Strenght training can have a major burn. I've done from 1hr to an 1hr and a half training and burnt from 500cals to nearly 1,000 cals doing strenght training alone.

Yes Cardio does burn tons however if your're looking to tone up then I wouldnt just focus primarily on cardio to get you that figure you want.

Instead add in both to your workout routine so start with strenght training and then cardio, be it 30-40 mins highincline walk or HiiTtraining for 10-15 mins
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    The reason I only do 15 mins each is that, I get bored to death doing one exercise or another for too long. But I do intend to do 1 long cardio session once a week. Because I only do a short time, I try to go as hard as possible.

Whats your objective?

I can fully understand why machines dont inspire you, but subject to where you are in Japan you should have some opportunities for outdoor training.

From my perspective I started training for weight loss and in a short time recognised that I was more interested in my training performance as priority. Much running, and some resistance training, later I have a significantly reduced body fat percentage, clothes fit me better and my resting heart rate is reduced.

My weight hasnt reduced in a month or so but other indicators are demonstrating a measure of success.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There is no reasonable way to know what your burn is. This is why many people that lift use the TDEE method, rather than the NEAT method, which is the MFP way, where you eat back calories burned.

Strength training probably burn around 150 to 200.

This...I don't eat mine back...I switched to TDEE the day I started lifting as I know there is no way to really calculate the calories burned lifting...

HRM are only good for Steady state cardio as long as they are setup correctly and they have a chest strap.
  • briniepoo
    Options

Whats your objective?

I can fully understand why machines dont inspire you, but subject to where you are in Japan you should have some opportunities for outdoor training.

From my perspective I started training for weight loss and in a short time recognised that I was more interested in my training performance as priority. Much running, and some resistance training, later I have a significantly reduced body fat percentage, clothes fit me better and my resting heart rate is reduced.

My weight hasnt reduced in a month or so but other indicators ae demonstrating a measure of success.

Yip, when I can I do hike in the mountains for about 2 hours (hour there and back). My objective is to lose another 6kgs to get to 60kg, and I also wanna reduce fat. I am also trying to get my knee strength back since my second ACL operation.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    My objective is to lose another 6kgs to get to 60kg, and I also wanna reduce fat. I am also trying to get my knee strength back since my second ACL operation.

In that case I wouldn't worry too much about calorie expenditure in resistance training, not accounting for it should just lead to a slightly faster weight loss, unless you're intake is already a bit low for healthy reduction in which case you might need to factor it into the approximations.

If you're burning a lot in CV training then it just gives you more flexibility around your diet. From a personal perspective if I don't burn and just eat to my goal then I feel unsatisfied. By burning extra I can eat more and feel more satisfied :) win/ win
  • mayerrocks
    mayerrocks Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not accurate for strength training. It is artificially elevated as your heart rate increases at a rate that is not commensurate with the energy expended.

Can you please explain this in little bit more detail?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Can you please explain this in little bit more detail?

Here is a good blog that breaks it down a bit
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My HRM tells me calories burned. It takes into account my HR and my weight and makes an educated guess I'm sure, but it's working for me. *see weight loss ticker.
  • growtinymuscles
    growtinymuscles Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Really? HRMs are not accurate in relation to calories burned? Isn't it true that while you are strength training your heart rate is increased? Isn't it also true that raising your heart rate is what burns calories (beyond what your body requires to function)?

When I strength train, my body is in a steady state of cardio. On my current routine, I rest for 30 seconds in between sets and only take the amount of time going from one exercise to another...maybe a couple of minutes. My workout is complete in less than an hour and I burn around 700-800 calories per session. When I am just doing cardio, and I don't do steady state. I do HIIT cardio and they never last more than 40 minutes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,661 Member
    Options
    Really? HRMs are not accurate in relation to calories burned? Isn't it true that while you are strength training your heart rate is increased? Isn't it also true that raising your heart rate is what burns calories (beyond what your body requires to function)?

When I strength train, my body is in a steady state of cardio. On my current routine, I rest for 30 seconds in between sets and only take the amount of time going from one exercise to another...maybe a couple of minutes. My workout is complete in less than an hour and I burn around 700-800 calories per session. When I am just doing cardio, and I don't do steady state. I do HIIT cardio and they never last more than 40 minutes.
    If just a raised heart rate were all that were necessary to burn calories, then one could just watch scary movies and suspense dramas and lose weight. And we know that's not happening.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • growtinymuscles
    growtinymuscles Posts: 37 Member
    Options

If just a raised heart rate were all that were necessary to burn calories, then one could just watch scary movies and suspense dramas and lose weight. And we know that's not happening.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Well thank you for that bit of information and to think that all this time I thought that I could just walk around and have people scare me or I could just hold my breath...lol

So you are telling me that a HRM does not reflect calories burned while strength training? Please explain, because I am just not able to get my mind around that...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Well thank you for that bit of information and to think that all this time I thought that I could just walk around and have people scare me or I could just hold my breath...lol

So you are telling me that a HRM does not reflect calories burned while strength training? Please explain, because I am just not able to get my mind around that...

I linked two excellent explainations above.

HR is not directly related to calories burned. HRM calorie estimation formulas are based on a known relationship between VO2 and HR during moderate intensity steady state cardio. Strength training, unlesss very high intensity circuit training, does not fall under this.
    The second link I posted actually shows the difference in VO2 max during different activites.