Do you use MFP the right way.

Options
I have been looking at people posting there exercise routines and was wondering.

Do you have your MFP set up to allow for exercise?

Do you manually log your exercise?

Or do you have MFP set up to allow for exercise and also manually log it so you are really counting your exercise twice?

I don't add no exercise routines to MFP because I have already allowed for it when I set up MFP.

What is your take on this and how do you have yours set?

For all purposes, I don't go by the calorie deficit that MFP set up for my. I calculated my BMR (basal metabolic rate) then found my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) then subtracted between 15 to 30% for deficit and set my calorie intake by that.

Dan

Replies

• sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Im set that I don't do any exercise and I just count what I do :)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I think you misunderstand how MFP sets your goals.

The exercise you tell MFP you're going to do every week when you set up your profile is NOT included in your daily intake goal. It's just there as a goal for you to reach. The intake goal MFP gives you is what you should eat if you do NO exercise. The system is designed so that you DO log your exercise burns and then eat those calories back so that you maintain the same net intake every day, regardless of whether your exercise or not.

But in your case, you're using the TDEE method (i.e. figured out what your intake should be on your own, including exercise, and subtracted a deficit from it). This is also what I do. In this case, because exercise is already factored in to your daily goal, then no, you wouldn't log exercise (except to track it - many of us who prefer the TDEE method log our exercise as "1" calorie burned just to have the log).
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Im set that I don't do any exercise and I just count what I do :)

That's what I do! Although, it feels silly for me to log anything on the days I only do like... 2 minutes of jump rope, so I don't. lol
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i love logging my exercise on mfp, love watching the minutes clock up over the week, but i take absolutely no notice of the calories it says i have burned, i have set my own calorie goal (using scoobys workshop) and rarely eat any of the extra calories i've "earned" it works for me, won't work for everybody
  • perrymick
    perrymick Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    But in your case, you're using the TDEE method (i.e. figured out what your intake should be on your own, including exercise, and subtracted a deficit from it). This is also what I do. In this case, because exercise is already factored in to your daily goal, then no, you wouldn't log exercise (except to track it - many of us who prefer the TDEE method log our exercise as "1" calorie burned just to have the log).

I do this, like many others so I can keep a track of the days I exercise and for how long :)
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    I think this goes back to every person is different.
    If you have it set so you do nothing but a desk job all day.
    Then you run out and ride a bike for 2 hours on weekend.
    Then you should factor in that bike ride.
    IF you have it set for an active job and then watch tv most of day then ride a bike for a 30 minute session.
    Then you shouldn't log it.

That is just me :D
  • Suzibluski
    Suzibluski Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am with Sarahmoo. I have nothing entered in my profile so it doesn't account for it, then I log it.. I tried both ways and it gave me the same calorie amount to eat so I don't think it matters which way you do it
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have mine set with no exercise and enter it as I do - I figure then I won't overeat when I don't - if I am on night shifts sometimes I won't exercise for 3 or 4 days.