confused about BMR and TDEE

Options
okay so confused about BMR and TDEE just calculated it and it is saying that I need to eat like 1562 a day. I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough on my 1200 a day. I do walk three to for times a week and didn't put that in there this is just sitting on my butt doing nothing. should I be listening to all of this or up my calories? I'm finding that for the first time in a long time I'm getting really hungry. Anyone have any answers that might help me?

Replies

• empenTen
    Options
    Are you eating 1200 and losing weight? If I were you I would up your kcals to around 1500 and then monitor it for a couple of weeks. If you continue to lose then great, if not then drop it to 1400 and see what happens.

I eat to my TDEE (ish) and find it much easier to stick to and am losing weight. MFP said I should eat 1200 but I was starving and miserable - not to mention prone to binge eating cause I felt like I was denying myself all the time.

Good luck x
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is basically what you burn, when NOT doing exercise, even sleeping. It's what you need to STAY ALIVE.

You're TDEE is what you burn when performing job duties, exercise, etc. it's not ALWAYS 100% accurate, but, it's pretty close.

Try taking in 1500 for a week and see what happens. You might go up in weight a small amount after a few days but that's just your body adjusting to the upped calorie intake/ carb intake/ fat intake/ protein intake.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    it all confused me too much..I stick to my 1200 eat back half my workout calories if I am hungry. But then again I am only 5 ft tall so I can't see it being much different on any other formula. I tried something else once it also gave me 1200 calories a day. I guess short people get no breaks..:laugh:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about BMR excessively - it's just a number.
    Some use it as a bit of a guide, but it really doesn't mean much.

TDEE, which is how much you burn in a day, is what DOES matter. This is what you can use to work out weight loss.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,614 Member
    Options
    I think MFP calculates your BMR based on you age, height and activity level. I'm 5'9" and they suggested I do 1200 cal/day. So, its not just because your short. I like to eat back about half of my activity cals also