How do you log homemade soup?

Options
II have a family recipe for tortillini soup. It has beef broth,ground sausage,tortillini,and vegetables. How do I know how much to eat and how to log it?

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    go to your food section on your profile and click on "recipes" from there you can add a recipe.

weight/measure all ingredients and add them to the recipe - click on save at the bottom - voila it's there for future use. Make sure you put how many servings it has also so the calorie count is right.

When you want to log it - go to add foods - click on recipes - check the box and 1 serving is added (if you ate more than one serving just change the 1 to 1.5 or whatever).
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I log all the ingredients and the serving size in MFPs recipe creator and then just use my own data for my diary entry.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    enter it as a recipe
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Got the the recipe section and enter it as a new recipe. List all the ingredients by weight and determine how many servings will your recipe be for. The database will do the calculations for you (calories and macros).

Enjoy!
  • phillrn
    phillrn Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You can go on this site to the recipe builder and enter all ingredients and it will calculate calories per serving for you:)
  • loiswilkerson
    loiswilkerson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would weigh and measure all the ingredients in the beginning as I'm putting the soup together to get a total number for the entire pot of soup. Then I'd try to figure out how many servings there are. I'd probably count 1 cup as a serving. So maybe your pot of soup is 12 cups total. Then you'd take your grand total of calories and divide by 12 and you'd know how many calories are in each one cup serving.
  • iris2811
    iris2811 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    create a recipe:
    log all the ingredients (i then weigh the finished product and call every 100g one portion so when you then weigh the soup into your bowl you know how many portions to use) - hope this helps
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    II have a family recipe for tortillini soup. It has beef broth,ground sausage,tortillini,and vegetables. How do I know how much to eat and how to log it?
    Recipe builder.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    I create a recipe listing every ingredient I have used. I measure the total volume I have made, and measure out my serving, and work out what fraction this is. For example, if the total of the ingredients is 600 calories, and I have a quarter, then my portion was 150 calories. Same with any meal I'm likely to cook again to save adding it repeatedly.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I create my own recipes, log all the weights/liquids sizes on everything, and then decide how much I want a serving to be. :)
  • Ktmax456
    Ktmax456 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh that's awesome! Thanks guys!
  • hollygoddess
    hollygoddess Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Go to my foods to enter your recipe ingredients, that way you can determine a serving size to be able to log it :-)
  • Geo1607
    Geo1607 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well, it's all OK if you have a creamy soup where you can blend all ingredients. The problem comes when you e.g. want to cook using a piece of meat. For example if you want to prepare a broth and you use a chicken, add vegetables, spices, pour water boil etc. Yes, you can calculate all ingreients, but while serving you won't eat all vegetables, they stay in the pot. Also you can use that piece of chicken for other cooking, but then it's not the same, as quite much of its nutrients were dissolved in the water. How to solve that?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Geo1607 wrote: »
    Well, it's all OK if you have a creamy soup where you can blend all ingredients. The problem comes when you e.g. want to cook using a piece of meat. For example if you want to prepare a broth and you use a chicken, add vegetables, spices, pour water boil etc. Yes, you can calculate all ingreients, but while serving you won't eat all vegetables, they stay in the pot. Also you can use that piece of chicken for other cooking, but then it's not the same, as quite much of its nutrients were dissolved in the water. How to solve that?

This thread is over four years old.

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

No, it works with any kind of soup. In your example, weigh the piece of meat to get the accurate calorie count, weigh the vegetables for the same. Weigh the water and assign zero calories. Add all the calories for all ingredients to get total weight for the soup. Then decide what you want to be 1 serving, 100 grams is a good start and easy to figure. Then when you dish up your soup, weigh it. If it's 250 grams, then you log it as 2.5 servings.

Also, nutrients from chicken aren't dissolved in water. It still has the same calories.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

This thread is over four years old.

You are right.

OP, please trash all the ingredients for your soup and start over. They would have definitely spoiled by now.
  • storyofodreams
    storyofodreams Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would weigh and measure all the ingredients in the beginning as I'm putting the soup together to get a total number for the entire pot of soup. Then I'd try to figure out how many servings there are. I'd probably count 1 cup as a serving. So maybe your pot of soup is 12 cups total. Then you'd take your grand total of calories and divide by 12 and you'd know how many calories are in each one cup serving.

What if I'm eating at someone else's home and the soup is already made? What do I do then?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

What if I'm eating at someone else's home and the soup is already made? What do I do then?

Either ask them for the recipe or do your best to estimate the ingredients and amounts used