How do you reward yourself + stay focused?

Options
When you reach a mini goal, how do you reward yourself without sabotaging your bigger goals?

During all of my previous (unsuccessful) diets I would lose some weight, be elated, then I'd tell myself 'oh, I can eat this or skip the gym because I've earned it!' and then those 'rewards' would set me back to where I started - or worse.

How do you stay on the right track while recognizing and rewarding yourself for the hard work you put in?

Replies

• UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I haven't reached my first goal yet, but my reward will be treating myself to Chelean Extreme and Weights - it'll make me stay on track!

I love food + booze (<== maybe other way 'round) so I can't use those for rewards, per se.

Good luck! The other folks here that have reached multiple goals, etc. will surely have some ideas for you!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I've noticed some people here on this site buy something when they reach a goal. I've seen mani-pedis, clothing, etc. Do something to pamper yourself rather than eat

I seem to do the same thing.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have not planned rewards, I am more energetic and feel better about myself and for me that is reward enough . . . well getting to buy clothes in smaller sizes is a reward too I soppose but I am still in the buying 2nd hand stuff stage as I don't want to spend the money on new clothes when I don't plan on being my current size for long.
    Guess my reward at the end will be the new wardrobe I will need to purchase.

How good I feel now is reward enough for me!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    My rewards are NEVER food related. I will drink wine from time to time, but I never put it in my mind that I DESERVE a food or drink item.

I reward myself with:
    new workout clothes
    new socks and running shoes
    red nail polish for my manicure instead of plain white tip.
    New clothes.
    New phone for myfitnesspal app.

That's how I've rewarded myself in the last two months.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have realized that my mini goals are just as big as the big one I have set. I will reward myself with something I usually don't give myself, like a 3 oz. cut of steak, but then I add in my veggies and a small sweet potato. I will also reward myself with taking a LIGHTER day working out, versus a whole workout. My husband rewards me with a little shopping trip to buy a new outfit. Nothing big, but it's really whatever you feel like you deserve, without going over what you need.
    You could always just reward yourself with a manicure, pedicure, or something that will keep you on track. My last mini goal reward was a new pair of New Balance Running shoes. That was the best one yet!
    Good luck on your journey.
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I set my rewards this week and I am so excited. Because normally I reward myself with food so I was excited when I came up with something else.

I got new shoes when I made it to 350.

At 300 I'm getting myself a bodybugg or some other GOOD HRM.

At 250, a gym membership

At 200, a personal trainer

At 150, any plastic surgery I need in order to look the way I think I should

These are all things that I wish I had now. They are all things that I can't justify spending money on. So as I work when I hit my next goal I reward myself with something that will help me increase or intensify thus helping me meet my next goal.

My motivators - my 20th high school reunion is coming up in like 16-18 months (2012). I was the fat girl in school and I don't want that to be what they see now. My kids - I don't want to be the fat mom, I don't want them to continue to be the fat kids, etc.

Good luck. Find what works for you and motivates you.

You'll do it !!

Eva
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Clothes, honey!!! :happy: I've had to go shopping for new clothes at least four times since I started really seeing a difference in my body. I went from a super tight 14 (I'm talking, breaking buttons off your pants tight) to now a getting looser 12. It doesn't sound like much but I can tell a BIG (pun intended) difference in my body. Since it was spring when I first had to go shopping, I bought a skirt and a couple dresses... by summer, they were too big. I don't even own them anymore because they don't fit & made me look bigger 'cause they were too big! I've had to buy new jeans twice in the last couple months - they're all the same size, just different fits... and all of them are starting to get to the point where after two times, I have to wash them again to tighten them back up...whereas when I bought them, I could wear them a lot more & they still stayed pretty snug against me.

I think clothes are the best way to reward yourself because you really can see how much you've lost. And don't get discouraged when a smaller size doesn't fit. Not every designer uses the same measurements. I almost quit shopping after trying on a couple 12s at JCPenney...then I went to Ross and found 2 different brands of 12s that fit me amazing and made me look HOT! :bigsmile:
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would say you should NEVER reward yourself with skipping the gym. That is the first step in not going back. (IMO) I have been there and done it is why I say it. I think maybe a good reward is like others have said buy your self a new shirt, a 30 min trip to the SPA, or I have found my self buying food but its been something like a fresh Pineapple or something that I dont normally get. Also if you haven't done this yet you could go buy your self a new pair or shoes to help with your walking/jogging/running. I love a good ttrip to my local running store.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    When i get to my goal, one of those UnderArmor shirts
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I like to go buy clothing. The sense of accomplish when I bought a size 12 jeans for the 1st time since high school!
  • MyWishfulShrinking
    Options
    I have 10 pound mini goals. For my first 10 pounds I bought makeup, 20 pounds I'm getting a mani-pedi, 30 pounds getting my hair cut and colored, and so on and so fourth till I'm at my goal.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    If your working out... I buy a new workout video...or a piece of equipment. If I have lost enough, new clothes....when the old ones just look to baggy. I did just get a peddi for myself. I do something for myself when I feel I should have a treat. Like passing up cake at a birthday...only having 1 drink, and not over doing it. If everyone is having pizza and I stop at 1 piece. I figure I deserve something I really want (not food) for changing my ways.
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    To stay focus I always take it one day at a time and if I have trouble I always take a look at my starting pictures.
    As far as rewards, once I hit ONE'derland I am treating myself to a pedi. I haven't decided yet what my other rewards will be. I will obviously need new clothes ect. But just the thought of being able to run with my boys again (age 7 & 5) is a reward in itself!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have not planned rewards, I am more energetic and feel better about myself and for me that is reward enough . . . well getting to buy clothes in smaller sizes is a reward too I soppose but I am still in the buying 2nd hand stuff stage as I don't want to spend the money on new clothes when I don't plan on being my current size for long.
    Guess my reward at the end will be the new wardrobe I will need to purchase.

How good I feel now is reward enough for me!

I am doing the exact same thing - buying 2nd hand stuff because I don't plan on being the current size I am and I refuse to buy brand new clothing!! I haven't really rewarded myself much other than my hubby & I just purchased a new elliptical machine for our home. Maybe my ultimate reward will be a new wardrobe too!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I like to go buy clothing. The sense of accomplish when I bought a size 12 jeans for the 1st time since high school!

I still have my prom dress, I'd like to see if I can fit it in ten pounds from now.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I think the reward of looking into the mirror and not seeing fat everywhere is more then enough but clothes shopping has become a big thing for me lately because none of my old clothes fit anymore.
  • ttaylortulsa
    ttaylortulsa Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I still have my prom dress, I'd like to see if I can fit it in ten pounds from now.

Oooh! You've inspired me. I think my reward would be for my prom dress to be too big! (I was pleasantly plump in high school)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I can't bring myself to figure out mini goals...so I just buy things that will aid in my weight loss...like a scale and a HRM...some new sports bras are like gold for me lol...
  • grogers421
    grogers421 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Boy can I relate to you and your rewards. Although I rewarded myself with a gym membership last week when I hit 350. Like you I don't want to be the fat parent. I am sick of being the largest person in the room, of having to sit at a table instead of a booth in restaurants, and worring about wether a friends patio furniture will hold me.

We are all in this together. That is why we join these boards, to get support from others that are having the same struggles and feelings we do.

Addd me as a friend if you would like.
  • flossicle
    Options
    I have weekends off..granted i dont go crazy but if i fancy a maccy d's i have one n if i fancy a can of cider i have one.. but i do try to exercise too and it's constantly in the back of my head..if i do have my beloved maccy d's i'll have maybe an omlette for dinner to minimise the damage..i couldnt stick to this if i couldn't have some treats/days off!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!