i know you hate hearing "I can't hit my calories" but..

Options
I can't. Not this early in the game where my old bad eating habits are still trying to be unlearned and I'm in the middle of getting ready to move 1400 miles away. I'm too distracted and busy to completely overhaul and re educate myself on how to eat. However, I am trying, so give me some credit before you all jump on me and call me a moron for not figuring out how to eat.
My protein tends to be low, as does my potassium and vitamins. Should I look to protein powders or supplements to help with this? If so, can that stuff be made with coffee as I hate any drinks that are 'milk' tasting and or sugary in the first place.
And if it matters, I'm doing the 30 day shred plus extra cardio. Current weight 192 at 5'5". In case that affects your advice.
Thanks. Be kind. I know you hate these posts.

Replies

• Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Eat nuts or peanut butter..
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I hope nobody comes on here and says such cruel things. These boards haven't been so nice lately. I too struggled to eat all of my calories.. and I'm only having 1200. How do I go from eating everything in sight to not being able to eat 1200 calories? I don't know. A lot of people said to eat full fat/full calorie foods or drink shakes.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should put this off until you are in a less stressful situation than go at if half-cocked
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    If you've removed a lot of foods that you feel are unhealthy you may be wrong. There are many calorie dense foods that are considered healthy, like avoicado, peanut butter, olive oil, full fat yogurt, butter, coconut oil, nuts and seeds........it doesn't take much of any of these to add 300-500 calories. Don't be afraid of food that have higher natural fats......if your going to have fish, have salmon, and if your going to have chicken, leave the skin on and if your going to have red meat have a rib steak.......nothing like a fatty rib steak.:wink:
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I hit reply and more responses posted, but DEFINITELY more protein.
  • JennaHW
    JennaHW Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try to up your proteins in the morning, so that gives you plenty of energy for the day. Eat pizza or something. I found that if I eat a larger breakfast, I don't get so hungry anymore and eat junk. I love potato chips. This way I can have a lighter lunch and a regular dinner. I take a multivitamin, B-complex and iron at bed time. (You don't have to take iron, I'm anemic). I have those milk drinks like slim fast but I found that if I eat the big breakfast, I don't need it because my appetite is curbed. Also if you are a coffee drinker, limit yourself to 2 cups a day in the morning. caffeine is an appetite suppressant. I'm still tweaking my meal habits but it's getting easier now to stay on track and I'm starting to see weight loss again after being on a plateau for 3 months.

I'm a foodie, I love to eat.
  • Vessecora
    Options
    You seem to be doing pretty well so far :)

I find the best way for me personally to hit my goals is to first know what I'm going to be eating later in the day so I can plan earlier meals accordingly so I usually end up having a high calorie (and nutrient dense hopefully c: ) breakfast.

But maybe like someone else said, you'd be better off focusing on good choices rather than calorie goals for the moment until stuff gets sorted out?

*hugs*
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have never tried protein powder in coffee but you could stir some into your oatmeal or yogurt to give it a protien/calorie boost and I always add some to my smoothies it doesn't turn out creamy it just blends in.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    If I'm having a really low day I have some raw cashews or some peanut butter... Or I add some olive oil to my dinner. Easy peasy. You'll find your niche.. Goodluck.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should put this off until you are in a less stressful situation than go at if half-cocked.

Half cocked is better than giving up
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you make protein shakes with coffee, make the shake first, make some coffee (slightly cooler than normal, perhaps) then add the shake to it as you would milk. Otherwise, the protein will denature upon impact with the hot coffee and you'll essentially get lumpy coffee.
  • AngeliaDR
    Options
    I had tried to search other posts on this topic and saw a lot of "you're an idiot if you can't eat 1200 calories" type responses so i was worried.
    I hate eating. I know, how did i get fat in the first place then? Working 100 hours a week drinking 4 or 5 venti lattes a day and out of fast food restaraunts every day. If i could live on coffee alone it'd be all I'd consume.
    Maybe i should wait, but I haven't seen my husband in a year and I want to look good when I finally move us up to where he works. The 30 day shred is doing wonders. I've lost over 10 inches eight days in and 4lbs. I just worry I'm going to negate or plateau my progress by not eating my calories or not getting my protein to support the muscle toning I'm doing.
    Are ptotein supplements a good idea or are they just for those who are already 'in shape' but bulking?
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I had tried to search other posts on this topic and saw a lot of "you're an idiot if you can't eat 1200 calories" type responses so i was worried.
    I hate eating. I know, how did i get fat in the first place then? Working 100 hours a week drinking 4 or 5 venti lattes a day and out of fast food restaraunts every day. If i could live on coffee alone it'd be all I'd consume.
    Maybe i should wait, but I haven't seen my husband in a year and I want to look good when I finally move us up to where he works. The 30 day shred is doing wonders. I've lost over 10 inches eight days in and 4lbs. I just worry I'm going to negate or plateau my progress by not eating my calories or not getting my protein to support the muscle toning I'm doing.
    Are ptotein supplements a good idea or are they just for those who are already 'in shape' but bulking?

Protein powders are for anyone who needs more protein in their diet.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    protein powder is for anyone who wants to meet a certain number of protein regardless of their fitness level:smile:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Protein powders are for anyone who needs more protein in their diet.
    lol
  • AngeliaDR
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Is the protein best to take before or after workouts?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions here.

I wanted to add that if you do try adding protein powder to your coffee don't just add it straight because it will curdle. Instead mix it with a little milk or water and make a slurry. Then add that to your coffee.

Or at least that what I've heard. I prefer my protein powder in baked goods. :wink:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

If you are having trouble getting protein and meeting your calories do what you must. Especially if you are working out on a regular basis. I actually like protein powder in my smoothies - eating enough protein isn't an issue for me. If you like eggs they are a good source of protein and as others have already posted nuts, peanut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken (I almost always have roasted chicken or chicken breast in my fridge - it's handy for a "go to" food when you need something). At least try to eat your 1400 calories at minimum on your exercise days and then a bit more if you can.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I see you like yogurt. Try buying plain unflavored yogurt and mix your scoop of protein powder into that. It will taste more like pudding that way. Maybe a chocolate flavored powder. Your numbers are pretty close, it's your exercise calories burned bringing you under. Long John Silver and Taco Bell wouldn't be my first recommendation, but I'm pretty sure no doctor has ever signed a death certificate with "Too many hush puppies" for cause of death. I don't think your food consumption is as bad as you were fearing.