African American success stories?

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine pointed out that while i had posted in this thread before it got locked, i hadn't posted an actual success story. my bad, as for some reason i was thinking this was African American women success stories, but i stand corrected. since i haven't reached my goal i won't call this a success story, but i guess i can post my progress story.

here's me, running around 290 pounds, wearing some jeans that i bought large but ended up fitting like stretch pants as i gained more and more weight.

a2cz2CP.jpg?1

here's me, holding my then 6 month old daughter, wearing a shirt that i loathed, but was the only shirt i owned that fit.

I15MKLb.jpg?1

i tried a bunch of BS to lose weight. crash diets, weight loss pills, meal replacements, alli (DO NOT TRY ALLI) to no avail. i was considering expensive weight loss meal plans or even surgery. i just figured that i had tried everything and that nothing but the most drastic measures would work.

but then......i found mfp. i created an account, put in my data, and started eating to whatever my calorie goal was ( i think 2200 at the time). i started exercising on the regular, even tho i was waaaaay to out of shape to run. i couldn't make it to the end of my block without feeling like i was gonna die. hell, i couldn't make it past 3 houses without stopping. so i walked. and lifted. and ate up to my calorie goal each day. and ate back exercise calories. and ate the foods i loved, which included at least 5 McDonald's Double Quarter Pounders each and every week.

and you know what? it worked.

here's me semi-recently.

DQL67iJ.jpg?2

remember me in them tight *kitten*, catsuit-looking jeans? i had to give those jeans away to charity because they had 10 inches of slack in the waist. here's me trying on a new pair

dGrDdTx.jpg

the fat guy that hates running and couldn't run a single block trained his *kitten* off for 6 months and completed a 13 mile Tough Mudder course. i got hurt, but my team full full MFP Badasses dragged and pushed me all the way to the end.

5R84rur.jpg?1

oh, and my daughter is 6 years old now.

xGCYSEn.jpg?1

anyhoo, i hope what you take from this (whoever you are and whatever your race, ethnicity, sex, religion or home planet of origin may be) is that you can succeed here. the site has it's problems, but it works. the forums have their problems, but they work too. there's tons of fantastic information on here if you're willing to listen. there's also tons of terrible information if you're willing to be gullible. so listen and don't be gullible. and don't fall into the trap where you think that just because the person giving you advice is in shape that they couldn't possibly know the problems you face.
    OMG jumpjumpYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
  • V4everfit
    V4everfit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everybody for your support. The successes are amazing, you're looking good , oh & I can't wait to get to the gym in the morning, my gym isn't open 24hr on the weekends so I didn't have a chance to workout this weekend,after work in the evenings, but ugh ima get a good burn tomorrow. I'm excited to see more pics & stories, don't hold back.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine pointed out that while i had posted in this thread before it got locked, i hadn't posted an actual success story. my bad, as for some reason i was thinking this was African American women success stories, but i stand corrected. since i haven't reached my goal i won't call this a success story, but i guess i can post my progress story.

here's me, running around 290 pounds, wearing some jeans that i bought large but ended up fitting like stretch pants as i gained more and more weight.

a2cz2CP.jpg?1

here's me, holding my then 6 month old daughter, wearing a shirt that i loathed, but was the only shirt i owned that fit.

I15MKLb.jpg?1

i tried a bunch of BS to lose weight. crash diets, weight loss pills, meal replacements, alli (DO NOT TRY ALLI) to no avail. i was considering expensive weight loss meal plans or even surgery. i just figured that i had tried everything and that nothing but the most drastic measures would work.

but then......i found mfp. i created an account, put in my data, and started eating to whatever my calorie goal was ( i think 2200 at the time). i started exercising on the regular, even tho i was waaaaay to out of shape to run. i couldn't make it to the end of my block without feeling like i was gonna die. hell, i couldn't make it past 3 houses without stopping. so i walked. and lifted. and ate up to my calorie goal each day. and ate back exercise calories. and ate the foods i loved, which included at least 5 McDonald's Double Quarter Pounders each and every week.

here's me semi-recently.

DQL67iJ.jpg?2

remember me in them tight *kitten*, catsuit-looking jeans? i had to give those jeans away to charity because they had 10 inches of slack in the waist. here's me trying on a new pair

dGrDdTx.jpg

the fat guy that hates running and couldn't run a single block trained his *kitten* off for 6 months and completed a 13 mile Tough Mudder course. i got hurt, but my team full full MFP Badasses dragged and pushed me all the way to the end.

5R84rur.jpg?1

xGCYSEn.jpg?1

anyhoo, i hope what you take from this (whoever you are and whatever your race, ethnicity, sex, religion or home planet of origin may be) is that you can succeed here. the site has it's problems, but it works. the forums have their problems, but they work too. there's tons of fantastic information on here if you're willing to listen. there's also tons of terrible information if you're willing to be gullible. so listen and don't be gullible. and don't fall into the trap where you think that just because the person giving you advice is in shape that they couldn't possibly know the problems you face.

In for all of this sexiness and more. :smokin:

Yep. Damn Dave.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Let's take a magical journey down what I like to call "The path of being less of a fatbutt" as told in pictures.

165 pounds and drunk. Not cute
    MPT0fXZ.jpg?1

Somewhere between 155 and 160.

1lvLFMU.jpg
    41wMf5Y.jpg?1
    UnCKyuk.jpg?1

Around 147
    sEHNi53.jpg?1
    kPwIn4I.jpg?2
    zKEFgY7.jpg?1

Around 140 (bad pictures are bad)

vLthDlY.jpg?1
    8aSANKn.jpg?1

Still trucking along. So more in progress than success.

:love: :love:

I dunno, I think 165 pounds and drunk is kind of cute.

I am also happy to see this thread back. I hope it stays unhidden and drama free.

DITTO TO BOTH STATEMENTS!!

Agreed.

Before picture is cute. But now picture is just, wow **fans self***
  • MizPassion
    MizPassion Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I agree. We as african American women have different body types. So it's good to success stories of people with those similarities. No racism at all. I also enjoy everyone else's stories as well.
    Amazing job guys! I don't find this thread offensive. I just wish it was a little more inclusive considering not all Blacks on MFP are African American.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Let's take a magical journey down what I like to call "The path of being less of a fatbutt" as told in pictures.

165 pounds and drunk. Not cute
    MPT0fXZ.jpg?1

Somewhere between 155 and 160.

1lvLFMU.jpg
    41wMf5Y.jpg?1
    UnCKyuk.jpg?1

Around 147
    sEHNi53.jpg?1
    kPwIn4I.jpg?2
    zKEFgY7.jpg?1

Around 140 (bad pictures are bad)

vLthDlY.jpg?1
    8aSANKn.jpg?1

Still trucking along. So more in progress than success.

:love: :love:

I dunno, I think 165 pounds and drunk is kind of cute.

I am also happy to see this thread back. I hope it stays unhidden and drama free.

DITTO TO BOTH STATEMENTS!!

Agreed.

Before picture is cute. But now picture is just, wow **fans self***

I'm kind of a sloppy smiley gap toothed drunk. But thank you all.:happy: :drinker:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I agree. We as african American women have different body types. So it's good to success stories of people with those similarities. No racism at all. I also enjoy everyone else's stories as well.
    Amazing job guys! I don't find this thread offensive. I just wish it was a little more inclusive considering not all Blacks on MFP are African American.

Some people don't like the use of the word blacks and so, as MFP is based in America and most of it's user base will be American it's a term that can be used without potential offense. I'm sure the OP won't have you tossed out for being British or African or Canadian.

Well. Maybe Canadian.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

a2cz2CP.jpg?1

I15MKLb.jpg?1

here's me semi-recently.

DQL67iJ.jpg?2

dGrDdTx.jpg

5R84rur.jpg?1

xGCYSEn.jpg?1

I had no idea that you were around my size when you first started. You just gave me a bit more hope.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Some people don't like the use of the word blacks and so, as MFP is based in America and most of it's user base will be American it's a term that can be used without potential offense. I'm sure the OP won't have you tossed out for being British or African or Canadian.

Well. Maybe Canadian.

>:O
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

a2cz2CP.jpg?1

I15MKLb.jpg?1

here's me semi-recently.

DQL67iJ.jpg?2

dGrDdTx.jpg

5R84rur.jpg?1

xGCYSEn.jpg?1

:smile: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Beautiful success stories!!! Love it! :love:
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Cheers to everyone's success. Hope you are all feeling as great as you look :drinker:
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE the success stories. Great job you all. Very inspiring:)!!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I really like this thread, congrats to all sharing their success and progress.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I love this thread, so happy to see it back up and running and can't wait to see more progress stories because everyone that has posted look :love: :love: :love: WOW!!
  • MsTru2U
    MsTru2U Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Interested in a new friend? Please add me. I could use some motivation without drama!!!
    I'm at work right now, but I will try to add my success pics this evening. Great job and congrats to everyone!!! Much continued success to you!

BTW, I do have a weight loss "collage" pic in my profile if interested.
  • biggjenn
    biggjenn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! I love seeing all of the success stories.
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Love this thread. I'll be adding my own success pics soon!
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I don't know why my photo went blank.

But here is my progress so far.

48424913_8795_zps212dbdbf.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!