will i lose weight on high protein plan?

Options
2»

Replies

• Melissa72187
    Melissa72187 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was going by what mfp said to do for daily calories which set me for like 1450. Since I completed t25 two weeks ago and haven't found something I want to follow yet I used the Harris Benedict formula to set my calories manually and that's at 1550 now. I guess i don't understand how the program works if its not following how many calories you're suppose to have?

What is your height weight and age? Also, how many hours a week do you workout? I can look at setting up a plan for you.

I am 26 5'6 at 150 lbs looking to get down to 135. I work out roughly 3 hours total a week, 5 days a week 30-40 min a day. I like her meal plan but the weight lifting will be hard to do at home when its supposed to be done at the gym for the most part

I would have you eat 1650 calories total (not net); macros at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 35% fats. Also, if that program is meant for the gym, just change to another program. I am a huge fan of the p90x series (currently doing x3 doubles) or chalean extreme. Or there are other free at whole workouts. I just don' t have links to them. But you can search the fitness section.
    I'm not good at looking at ingredients and if things are healthy,I more or less just made sure I ate under my calories and this meal plan looks really appealing to me being that theres certain starches, meats, and unlimited veggies I can do by following a certain list for each category. I just didn't know if doing a program like t25 with the meal plan would work if I'm not watching my calories? I'm looking to lean out, I have unwanted extra fat in my stomach from eating poorly in past and having my son. I guess overall im just looking for a sense of direction
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The energy value of a calorie is still a calorie.

A mile is also a mile whether you drive it in a car or walk it on foot.

These arguments over individual macronutrients in circumstances where the middle is excluded are ridiculous and they don't serve to educate the person just looking to get a simple question answered.

People do not eat diets strictly composed of HFCS.

In the context of diet where calories and macronutrients are set reasonably towards an individual's goals, the type of carbohydrate you choose isn't going to make much of a difference assuming you're using some common sense in your diet.

OP: Your change of weight will largely be determined by state of energy balance. Macronutrients will influence body composition and training stimulus will do so to an even greater extent.

QFT!
  • allittakes110
    Options
    How high of protein are you talking? Eating too much protein over a prolonged period of time can be detrimental to your health. Because protein contains nitrogen, which your body cannot readily store, it must be broken down and excreted in the form of urea. This can really put stress on your kidneys over time, while also dehydrating you since urine needs to pull fluid from somewhere. Additionally, your body's main energy source is glucose, which comes from carbohydrates but can also be made from fat and protein in the body. If you are not consuming an adequate amount of carbohydrates to maintain your glycogen stores, your body will not be able to spare protein, which means that it will begin to break down muscle in order to make glucose to fuel your body. People who switch to high protein diets do typically lose weight very quickly initially because you essentially dehydrate your body and therefore lose all of your water weight. Over a longer period of time, if you remain on this kind of diet, you will lose muscle mass. It is recommended that you consume between 0.8-1.2 g of protein per kg of body weight. Anything above that is excessive. Hopefully this helps.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I was going by what mfp said to do for daily calories which set me for like 1450. Since I completed t25 two weeks ago and haven't found something I want to follow yet I used the Harris Benedict formula to set my calories manually and that's at 1550 now. I guess i don't understand how the program works if its not following how many calories you're suppose to have?

What is your height weight and age? Also, how many hours a week do you workout? I can look at setting up a plan for you.

I am 26 5'6 at 150 lbs looking to get down to 135. I work out roughly 3 hours total a week, 5 days a week 30-40 min a day. I like her meal plan but the weight lifting will be hard to do at home when its supposed to be done at the gym for the most part

I would have you eat 1650 calories total (not net); macros at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 35% fats. Also, if that program is meant for the gym, just change to another program. I am a huge fan of the p90x series (currently doing x3 doubles) or chalean extreme. Or there are other free at whole workouts. I just don' t have links to them. But you can search the fitness section.
    I'm not good at looking at ingredients and if things are healthy,I more or less just made sure I ate under my calories and this meal plan looks really appealing to me being that theres certain starches, meats, and unlimited veggies I can do by following a certain list for each category. I just didn't know if doing a program like t25 with the meal plan would work if I'm not watching my calories? I'm looking to lean out, I have unwanted extra fat in my stomach from eating poorly in past and having my son. I guess overall im just looking for a sense of direction

There really arent foods that are healthy vs non healthy. If you want to maximize your caloric intake then eat whole foods, lean meats, fruits and veggies. But feel free to add in whatever food you enjoy. I finish each night with a Klondike bar as it helps me adhere to my intake requirement and gives me enjoyment. With that said, I also hit my protein goals before I eat my klondike. Where you will make the greatest strides is having a food scale and learning which foods help you succeed; mine are chipotle burritos, red robin burgers and pretty much meat, lol. With the exception of this past week (I was on vacation) you can look at my diary.

Also, the type of food doesnt impact fat storage in your midsection, genetics does. So overall body fat reduction is necessary. But you definitely aid this process when you maintain your lbm. Feel free to friend me if you have more questions.
  • i tried the low carb diet for over a month,,,i decreased spuds,,,rice,,,pasta,,bread and it killed me going against my italian/irish cooking,,,,,,I PUT ON 7 POUNDS AAAARRRGGG,,,looking at the reports increased protein,,,also increased fat,,,SO BACK TO WHAT I WAS DOING BEFORE,,,portion control,,,and low fat and sugars (including fruit sugars),,,i lost a stone last year doing that
  • Melissa72187
    Options
    Here is the meal plan? Its for 12 weeks.

BREAKFAST

egg whites

vegetables
    Unlimited

starch
    1 serving

MID-MORNING

turkey or chicken muffins

Other Options:
    4 homemade protein bars
    Small meal option

vegetables
    Unlimited

LUNCH:

lean meat (chicken breast, white meat turkey; white fish like tilapia and orange roughy)
    6 oz

starch
    1 serving

salad and vegetables
    Unlimited

MID-AFTERNOON:

turkey or chicken muffins

Other Options:
    4 homemade protein bars
    Small meal option

vegetables
    Unlimited

DINNER:

lean meat (chicken breast, white meat turkey; white fish like tilapia and orange roughy)
    6 oz (8 oz for fish)

starch
    1 serving

salad and vegetables
    Unlimited

EVENING:

egg whites
    5-6

vegetables
    Unlimited
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Define unlimited veggies? Because calories add up, especially in more starchy veggies. But it doesn't look too bad.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    There have been some preliminary research indicating that egg whites, without some of the enzymes/chemicals present in the yolk, can interfere with some vitamin absorption. Egg yolks have gotten a bad rap, but they're actually pretty good for you.
  • Melissa72187
    Options
    Its shows pretty much anything green! Lol
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Its shows pretty much anything green! Lol
    If that is the case, you are probably low on protein if you follow MFP's standards. Any chance you will open your food diary?