Need more calories at the end of the day

Options
So after making thoughtful choices on food all day, I find that I'm still too far below 1200 calories. If I've only eaten 900 calories .. Should I force myself to eat more in the evening so I get closer to 1200 when I'm really not hungry? a 300 calorie snack feels wrong!

Guidence?

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Yes. Can't see your diary, but I seriously doubt you're eating enough protein eating 900 calories. Do that long enough, and you won't have that dream body once you get to goal weight. Eat anything to fill the calories, but if you want, I recommend a protein shake.
  • AmyBinthe603
    AmyBinthe603 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think I changes my settings so people can see my profile??

A protein shake is a great idea - Thank you
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Still can't see it.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You did not - still no diary showing up. And for what it's worth, eating only 900-1000 calories a day is NOT good for you. I call BS on you being satiated and full of energy all day long on that few cals. Obviously I don't know your stats (height, current weight, age, activity level), but no grown woman who appears to be young in profile pic should eat so little.

Edited cuz I didn't see my spelling error until after I posted!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Your diary is still set to private.
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Try adding just a few more calories to every meal throughout the day so it doesn't seem like such a huge amount right before you go to bed.
    Also, the protein shake was a great idea. Add some fruit and you've got 250-350 cals right there!
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If it's only today it's ok. If this is a regular thing, you may be either:

1) eating more than you think. Are you weighing all your food on a scale? measuring with cups and spoons is very inaccurate
    2) focusing on restricting too much. Healthy diet doesn't consist of salad, chicken breast and low fat yoghurt. Eat all the foods you ate before you went on diet, just in moderation and smaller portions. Nothing wrong with trying to get healthier, but undereating is more unhealthy then pizza and taco bell.

Also
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/310489-the-reason-why-starving-yourself-will-not-work
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    At the top of the page choose Settings > Diary Settings > Public.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Eat a couple of hard boiled eggs. It's a superfood that will fill you up and keep you full (not that you have a problem being full, apparently).
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Casein protein before bed (it's a slow release protein). I second protein shake, hard boiled eggs and even cottage cheese or a glass of low fat milk before bed s great.
  • Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    If I'm low on my calories, I opt for raw nuts or peanut/soynut butter.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Eat real eggs instead of eggbeaters. Eat regular salad dressing instead of light. Drink more wine. You'll get your calories that way!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hey, fellow NH lady! :) Yep, you need to get those calories up. Try adding a mid-morning snack or an afternoon snack... or try adding some protein powder or flax seed/nutritional supplements if you're not hungry... that way you get the calories and nutrition. Under 1200 long-term isn't going to work... :)

If you consistently find yourself 300 calories short, try adding three 100 calorie snacks throughout your day if you don't want to do it all at once.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary through Saturday, and I have to say, if I ate like that, I'd be a raving b*tch. ;-)

Why no carbs? That's where I'd start. Add in some healthy whole grains to each meal, and up your dairy to at least low-fat or even full fat. That will have you at 1200 quickly.

Good luck!
  • AmyBinthe603
    AmyBinthe603 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. You have been very helpful! And thanks to you, I think I finally have my settings figured out. Gonna go grab a yogurt ;)
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Holy moley, woman! I'd be so miserable if I ate what you did!

Just looking at your lunches for the past few days...
    2 oz chicken on a salad is next to NOTHING. At least eat 3-4 oz.
    1/2 a container of tuna fish? Who only eats half the tin? Add that whole thing onto your salad! You won't regret having more healthy protein!
    2 cups of salad mix isn't really a lot.. try weighing your salad mix instead of "measuring" it. I find that for a large lunch salad I like to have a full 5-cup serving of spinach or spring mix (sorry I forget what it actually weighs).

Also, get some carbs in there (lunch and dinner)! A small side of rice or pasta, some garlic bread/toast, something! Your body needs FUEL, including carbs. The "Daily Goal" is TRULY your daily GOAL, not some number you want to be under. Hit that goal!!! (This goes for all of your macro nutrients, with the exception of sodium - I treat that as an absolute maximum and strive for significantly less than the "goal".)
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    If you find that the volume of food you eat is completely satisfying your appetite, then simply switch out your fat free or reduced fat items for full fat versions.

You'll get the extra calories without having to actually eat more food.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Try adding more calorie dense foods/snacks into your day.

For example:
    Nuts and Seeds(unsalted)
    Add Extra Virgin Olive oil or Coconut Oil to your cooking
    Greek Yogurt
    Hummus
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Milk(whatever your choice. Dairy, Almond, Soy, etc)

I hope this helps!

Congrats on your 11lb loss so far!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Yep, stop using nonfat and low fat products, and eat regular eggs, not egg beaters. You're pretty low on your fat macro anyway. Does your skin feel dry?

I find it interesting that you say it's hard to eat 1200 calories, yet you've only been logging consistently since Thursday, and you've only been seriously under 1200 calories the last 2 days.