Shakes for Breakfast

Options
Hey Everyone,

First post here, I just have a question.

Sometimes I'm rushing in the morning to get the train to work and I was wondering if anyone has a good shake combination to keep me full until lunchtime. I know I should wake up earlier and make a better breakfast but sometimes I run behind and need to compromise.

Any help?

*Feel free to send me a friend request too, looking to meet some new people

Replies

• sifiso
    sifiso Posts: 21
    Options
    Hiya, I;m new but have been researching for a while. Whilst I don't know much about protein shakes, maybe you could try meal prepping for the week ? I'm about to go out an buy my food now !!
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't do it often, but when I do do a shake for breakfast I take a scoop of protein powder, 1 cup 1% milk, one of those little packs of yogurt - any flavour, and 1 tbsp of peanut butter. Sometimes I add some fruit, but not usually. Blend it all together and I am good to go. I used to do it without the peanut butter, but the peanut butter really does make it more filling IMO
  • NinetyOneAJ
    Options
    That sounds great. How many calories do one of your shakes average?
    I don't do it often, but when I do do a shake for breakfast I take a scoop of protein powder, 1 cup 1% milk, one of those little packs of yogurt - any flavour, and 1 tbsp of peanut butter. Sometimes I add some fruit, but not usually. Blend it all together and I am good to go. I used to do it without the peanut butter, but the peanut butter really does make it more filling IMO
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I occasionally do a shake in the morning. When I'm running late or just not hungry. like everything some say it's ok, some don't. It's really what your plan is, how it fits your life and what you think. I think they can be an ok supplement to meals. at times.
  • MrsCurvyFab
    MrsCurvyFab Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi I also am the same rushing in the morning. This AM I had 3 minutes left to grab and go. What I do to cut down on time, is buy the personal size protein shakes that you chill and drink out of a straw. I buy premier protein 100cal 8.25oz personal shakes (its shelf life, so no need to have in fridge already), cut open and throw in the blender with a frozen banana/strawberries whatever I have in the freezer blend and go. I bought a mini personal blender from like walmart for $20 where it comes with 8 to go cups, and you blend it in the cup you are going to drink out of. Saves time on measuring your milk, protein, etc. And when I have a minute I log in what I used :) Hope this helps! Best of luck!
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've really gotten hooked on the "green smoothie" thing this last year. I always put a handful of spinach (or a "power green" combination of spinach, kale, and collard greens), then frozen banana chunks, pineapple, and frozen berry combination - about 1/2 cup of each. After I pack the blender, I add enough water to cover 3/4 of the fruit/veg mixture then blend. Usually about once a week my hubby and I spend a few minutes chopping a fresh pineapple (so much better - and sweeter - than frozen!) and breaking a bunch of bananas into chunks to freeze them. There are a ton of different combinations that you can use. Some of my favorites are: always 1-2 handfuls of greens, then 1/2 pear, banana, apple, and pineapple; or greens, banana, peeled orange, pineapple, and blueberries. My husband always uses protein powder and throws in some almonds to keep himself full until lunch. When I really have a sweet tooth, I use a scoop of chocolate protein powder, almond milk, a banana (I'm really hooked on the creaminess that a banana adds!), and 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Yum. It is a quick and easy breakfast, and I feel really good about starting my day off eating a bunch of fruits and vegetables.
    Good luck!
  • NinetyOneAJ
    Options
    Sounds surprisingly good, might give it a try.
    I've really gotten hooked on the "green smoothie" thing this last year. I always put a handful of spinach (or a "power green" combination of spinach, kale, and collard greens), then frozen banana chunks, pineapple, and frozen berry combination - about 1/2 cup of each. After I pack the blender, I add enough water to cover 3/4 of the fruit/veg mixture then blend. Usually about once a week my hubby and I spend a few minutes chopping a fresh pineapple (so much better - and sweeter - than frozen!) and breaking a bunch of bananas into chunks to freeze them. There are a ton of different combinations that you can use. Some of my favorites are: always 1-2 handfuls of greens, then 1/2 pear, banana, apple, and pineapple; or greens, banana, peeled orange, pineapple, and blueberries. My husband always uses protein powder and throws in some almonds to keep himself full until lunch. When I really have a sweet tooth, I use a scoop of chocolate protein powder, almond milk, a banana (I'm really hooked on the creaminess that a banana adds!), and 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Yum. It is a quick and easy breakfast, and I feel really good about starting my day off eating a bunch of fruits and vegetables.
    Good luck!
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

First post here, I just have a question.

Sometimes I'm rushing in the morning to get the train to work and I was wondering if anyone has a good shake combination to keep me full until lunchtime. I know I should wake up earlier and make a better breakfast but sometimes I run behind and need to compromise.

Any help?

*Feel free to send me a friend request too, looking to meet some new people

@NinetyOneAJ - First, a high quality protein shake is not a compromise, it is the healthiest choice you can make. Choose a shake with a complete protein - undenatured whey (cold filtered process) is the best due to its complete amino acid profile. It also has a higher biological value (BV) than an egg. A whole raw egg has a BV of 100 and whey protein concentrate is at 159. Not whey protein isolate as that process breaks down the structure of the protein. Also make sure its a complete meal replacement with healthy fat and carbohydrates. Your body needs all those things to function. Also you said you want to be full until lunchtime. High in fiber will help with that. So go for 5+ grams of fiber. No artificial anything. Stay away from soy (BV of 74) and contains phytoestrogens which are not good for your endocrine system.
  • jakecregan
    jakecregan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One banana
    One cup of blueberries
    A scoop of oats
    One cup of milk
    Half cup greek yogurt
    2 Tbsp peanut butter
    (Scoop of whey protein optional)

Blend together

Makes a real thick drink, tastes really good; you can add ice to make it more like a smoothie
  • Bloomboom
    Bloomboom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @NinetyOneAJ - First, a high quality protein shake is not a compromise, it is the healthiest choice you can make. Choose a shake with a complete protein - undenatured whey (cold filtered process) is the best due to its complete amino acid profile. It also has a higher biological value (BV) than an egg. A whole raw egg has a BV of 100 and whey protein concentrate is at 159. Not whey protein isolate as that process breaks down the structure of the protein. Also make sure its a complete meal replacement with healthy fat and carbohydrates. Your body needs all those things to function. Also you said you want to be full until lunchtime. High in fiber will help with that. So go for 5+ grams of fiber. No artificial anything. Stay away from soy (BV of 74) and contains phytoestrogens which are not good for your endocrine system.

That's a lot of information that now needs to go in my "should know this" file. I like shakes, throughout the day, as a meal replacement. They seem to work for me. That's about as scientific as I can get currently.