how in the hell are these people getting 900 calorie burns

Options
How are people getting 900 calries burned in a workout. I do insanity etc and still burn no where close to that.

Replies

• NatalieG525
    NatalieG525 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you weigh as to how many calories you will burn in a workout session. Or the calories are just overestimated, which does happen on MFP I've heard :)
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I burned 969 calories in 90 minutes of roller blading Saturday night. I wear a HRM so I know it's at least relatively accurate. I skate hard and my HR pretty much didn't drop below 160-170 the entire time.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    2 hours running gets me >1000 calories burned (long runs)

ETA: I don't log anymore...when I did log I didn't eat back all of those calories in one day...over the next few days however, I probably went over calories so I'm sure it evened out...
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Also, judging on another of your posts I saw, trying to get 900 calorie burns or doing Insanity are NOT good ideas, especially when you're essentially on a starvation diet. You should be eating at LEAST your BMR level daily and eating back roughly 1/2 of your exercise calories
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on weight. For example for running a full 60 minutes, a 120 lb person will burn around 600 calories, a 180 lbs person will burn around 900. But I am pretty sure a lot of people tend to overestimate in general. Like the will look up at some table where they see that the "average" person would burn 600 calories from one hour high impact aerobics class, and they ignore their weight, or the fact that the pure workout minus warming up, breaks to catch their breath, stretching etc was only 40 minutes.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options

This. Long runs are the only way I'm going to get even close to 1000 cal. (and even then, I wonder)
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Hey I just read your other post. If you are trying to burn 900 cals and are only eating 800 - 900 cals per days your guna starve ! Eat more and exercise and have patients you will get there :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Usually takes me 2+ hours of hard workouts.

That being said, I eat back all of those calories too, to keep my body fueled.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I can get those kind of burns cleaning hard for an hour at work...wore an HRM to see how much I was burning at a certain job that was major work...and was amazed at the amount of cals..in 3 1/2 hours I burned 3000 cals. I weigh in the 260-270 range though...so yes I believe weight is a major factor...because we have a lot more weight to haul around it makes for bigger burns. It isn't necessarily a good thing because I have to make certain I eat back most of my burnt cals. Its hard to do it healthy!!! So a lot of times I opt for "bad" foods...and I don't feel too guilty because I earned them. LOL

ETA: I also go to the gym, walk, and dance for exercise...I still burn the cals big. At the gym I have gotten a 700 cal burn in 50 mins. I work hard and don't complain. My trainer is impressed...LOL
  • osuzorba
    osuzorba Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a 195# guy and, pretty much no matter I do it takes a little longer than an hour to get 900, per my HRM. But I generally train at or near my anaerobic threshold.

But I also do a lot of hiking, biking, racquetball, etc that I can easily do for multiple hours and the calories really start to add up over a longer period of time. On a normal 3 hour hike I will usually burn over 1500 calories.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    An 8 mile run will burn about this. It can burn more depending on how quickly you go. If you add this to walking that you may do and strength training, for example, of course even more.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on weight. For example for running a full 60 minutes, a 120 lb person will burn around 600 calories, a 180 lbs person will burn around 900. But I am pretty sure a lot of people tend to overestimate in general. Like the will look up at some table where they see that the "average" person would burn 600 calories from one hour high impact aerobics class, and they ignore their weight, or the fact that the pure workout minus warming up, breaks to catch their breath, stretching etc was only 40 minutes.

This is all dependent on how quickly you run, not so much how much the person weighs. A person's weight has some effect but not as much as distance travelled/speed.
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    According to my hrm, yoga and strength training are worthless for a calorie burn. Burning only 104 calories in a yoga class...can I have my hour back
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You seemed to have developed an unhealthy obsession with calories... Strength training and yoga don't tend to burn a lot of calories, especially compared to higher intensity work BUT they do help you retain muscle and help with bone strength, which is important during weight loss.

And FYI, I know people say you sould burn more than you eat but to be clear, that burn includes your BMR which is calorie the body needs just to support basic function and for women that tends to be at least 1200 calories.

Take care...
  • deadeye37
    Options
    I'm a guy who weighs 260. Doing cardio workouts (Tapout XT2, Insanity, etc) gets a big calorie burn. Tapout XT2 workouts tend to be 55-65 minutes and according to myfitnesspal I usually burn around 1200 calories. If I look on my HRM, Its more like 1800. Both way, my butt is kicked. Weight & gender have a lot to do with the number. Just like the amount of food your body needs. I eat a lot more than my wife, but if I eat as much as much as she does, I literally starve (muscle goes down a lot and I go down ~12 lbs/week - NOT GOOD)!

So, just be sure you're eating good & exercising good, but don't starve yourself or overeat.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    According to my hrm, yoga and strength training are worthless for a calorie burn. Burning only 104 calories in a yoga class...can I have my hour back

You are clearly focused on all of the wrong things, you are going to hurt yourself, and will be right back in the situation you are in or worse. and obviously you aren't sticking with the nutrition plan insanity recomends too, and are probably losing a lot of muscle since it only takes around 600 calories to burn a pound of muscle compared to the 3500 it takes to burn a pound of fat.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

This. Long runs are the only way I'm going to get even close to 1000 cal. (and even then, I wonder)

+1 more. This is why we run. I have been getting my wife into running and she did her longest run ever over the weekend. I think seeing big calorie numbers on the treadmill encouraged her to keep it up. There may be other ways of doing it, but short version is, burning a LOT of calories takes a while. Long runs take time, even at a decent pace. The ones I scratch my head about are the reports of 700 calories in 30 minutes. Maybe it's possible, and I honestly don't know - maybe people are doing it. But I have never seen it at any level of activity I can maintain for 30 minutes.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    with running its physics...it takes x amount of energy to move x amount of weight over x amount of distance...i typically burn 1500+ calories during a half marathon but as my wieght goes down so will that burn!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this is why HRM aren't really great for things other than long steady state cardio. It's also one of the reasons why I don't own one- because I rarely DO long steady state cardio.

This is also why it's a good idea to OVER estimate calories consumed- and UNDER estimate calories burned- then eat back only 50-75% of said calories burned.

Remember also- looking for an average decline in numbers (or incline depending on your goals). The trend line is what's important.
  • russellvolk
    russellvolk Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to Power 90 phase 3-4 and during my cardio workout, I burnt 867 calories. I use the Polar HRM with a chest strap. I'm a guy 6'1", 216 lbs. The entire workout took me about 50 minutes. It's definitely possible.