I don't have the motivation to do this. Please help me.

Options
13»

Replies

• LinOtt
    LinOtt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good going with setting of small goals. My personal journey with depression has shown that successful treatment is a combination of meds, exercise and diet. Just change one thing at a time. Set a small goal, and each time you complete your small goal, praise yourself. If you start just logging your food and exercise, you will soon run out of excuses., make a bargain with yourself you can only eat junk if you have earned it through exercise.

If I had known earlier that exercise is so very important to my mental health, I would have started sooner.
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was definitely about to comment that this sounds like depression and then I scrolled down and saw your edit. I really do think you should make your mental health a priority right now. You may need different meds or a change in dosage. I have BPII which comes with some pretty significant lows, and I know how depression can take an easy task (like cooking or cleaning or just getting out of bed) and turn it into something that's almost physically impossible. If you take care of yourself mentally, the physical stuff is likely to follow, in my experience. It's entirely possible that the weight gain is not a seperate problem, but a symptom.

Overall, I agree most with the poster who said "Be kind to yourself." Don't beat yourself up or try to force yourself into anything. You don't have to feel ashamed for struggling with this. You're not weak or silly or useless. Don't listen to any voices that say otherwise. You are still trying. That's what's important.

Also, if possible, I think you should find someone to support you IRL, whether it's understanding friends or a therapist (or both). And if you ever need to talk, you can always shoot me a message. I can't promise to have any answers, but I've been where you are now, and sometimes you just need to talk things out with someone who gets it. ^^
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Some things that I am going to do this week are:
    01: Get an appointment with a new doctor to discuss my depression
    02: Log everything I eat, regardless of what it is
    03: Make a list of reasonable goals that can help me ease into a healthier lifestyle

Good plan Batman.

I would also say that it doesn't sound like you lack motivation. It doesn't sound like you lack willpower either (which is a hugely over rated concept in dieting anyway. An eating plan which puts high amounts of deprivation against the need for high amounts of willpower constantly usually ends up in dieters end facing first in a bowl of cake batter...)

What you need are the skills to execute your plan. Skills are learned behaviour they are not innate (again why the "you need to want it" or "use willpower" advice won't get you far if you lack the skills necessary to achieve your goal.)

Do what you are thinking of doing. If you find yourself struggling then come back and ask for more advice.

You can and you will do this.
  • csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just want to send everybody internet hugs and rainbows and puppies and kittens and stuff after all of the wonderful and touching replies that I have gotten. I have an appointment at 3pm today to talk to a new doctor and discuss changing my medication because something is clearly not working.

Yesterday I managed to not eat out for the first time in probably weeks and today when I was on campus, I managed to walk by the foot court and not end up in line. Baby steps. However, I had to walk up two flights of stairs and I was so out of breath. This is not healthy for somebody in their 20's. I looked up my BMI and it was 34.

Thirty. Four.

When I came to college, it was 19.3

This is not okay. I HAVE to do something. I'm really hoping that trying something new with my medication will give me the push that I need.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You can do it, sweetheart. You sound so much like me, it breaks my heart. But. Baby steps. We can do it. You can do it.
  • Hey Kiddo! So glad to hear that you have a Dr. Appt set up, once you are feeling better and get your meds adjusted you will be much more able to start getting your weight under control. My advice is to set small goals for yourself and take it one step at a time so as not to get overwhelmed. Maybe looking at the 80 lbs. In 20 lb. Increments. Take it from someone who wishes they had tackled this weight issue in their younger years! Don't let excess weight and poor eating habits carry over into middle age. It only gets worse and harder to lose. You deserve to be the best you that you can be!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are going through such a bad time. Keep your chin up and make gradual changes. Change the things you can change for instance:

You don't like to cook just for yourself - make Sundays your food day - make a meal plan, do your shopping and prepare your food and have it ready so when you are hungry there is something to eat. Eating healthy will have a positive effect on how you feel.

You were once very active - you have made your first steps to getting some exercise - remember how good you felt when you used to do workouts for fun. This is way easier to do when you are young so now is the time!

Definitely see your doc about the negative effects of the medication - and maybe make a plan to have regular appointments to wean yourself off it eventually.

You have a supportive family - stay in contact with them and share your progress - they are obviously concerned with your well being.

You were healthy and active before - you can do it! Good Luck OP - keep your chin up and don't let this beat you!
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    It is the depression.

Yes, go see a new doctor. Your medication is not doing enough. Spend more time outside in the sunshine, even if you are just sitting on a park bench.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe your depression is a bit worse than you thought. Your parents are overly concerned (never heard anyone turn into a drug addict by taking anti-depression meds though!), but you have to do what's right for you. I think the idea to see a new doctor is a good one, or at least go to your current doc and explain what you've been feeling. Sometimes you need a combination of meds to really help.
  • kapease
    kapease Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Depression should be diagnosed and treated by a mental health professional, not a general practitioner/family doctor. Although they can see the symptoms and make a reasonable diagnosis, psychotropic drugs should be administered by the experts in the area. Also, you need bloodwork done to eliminate the possibility of a physical issue, like thyroid.
    Also, for me, I can't look at the huge picture, I have to pick one thing that I can work on changing. Start with a determination to change ONE meal a day to a healthier alternative, even if it is a healthy item from a fast food place (they do have SOME healthier options, or you can toss the bread or something). Pick a period of time, like 30 days, so you have a finite time frame. The thought is, in 30 days you have a new habit, and some success, and it makes it easier to make the next change, like taking a walk a few times a week. Big pictures can be intimidating, but picking 1 goal at a time, leads to success. Write it down, plan your strategy for mastering the goal. Take advantage of the offered support. You can do this!
  • fortally
    Options
    You can do it, sweetheart. You sound so much like me, it breaks my heart. But. Baby steps. We can do it. You can do it.

^This. Exactly. :flowerforyou:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Ask your parents if they consider type-I diabetics to be drug addicts, since they are dependent on taking insulin. Yes, they still have to do the work of avoiding tobacco and alcohol, monitoring carb intake and exercising, but those things alone will not allow them to maintain health.

Similarly, you will still have to do the work of behavioral therapy and managing diet, exercise, stress, and sleep, but those things alone may not be enough to allow you to maintain health.

I suppose somebody could say I'm addicted to Wellbutrin. I can live with that. Because I can *live*, not just survive.
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    As a previous Lexapro user, that dosage might not be working for you anymore. Have a discussion with your doctor about it. He/She may up your dosage or change your meds altogether.

I am just starting so I by no means am an expert, but as the previous posters mentioned, you will have to WANT to change your lifestyle and lose the weight. It took me over a year to WANT it enough to get off the couch and do something!

Get your depression under control, join a gym, change your diet , find a work out buddy and keep coming here for support! You can do this!!
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thats a great start.. just keep with it.. I just started the food journaling and it's HARD I'm not gonna lie! But keep at it everyone says it gets easier :)
  • gdurham2014
    gdurham2014 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Take it 1 day at a time. There is nothing you can do about the past except learn from it. It sounds like you have wonderful supportive parents who love and care for you very much and you have all of us here on MFP!!! Set your self some short term goals and once you achieve them, set bigger goals. Losing weight and getting healthy has to be a life style change and I know that you can do it.
  • twinklemcgee
    twinklemcgee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    First of all: *hugs* I feel like you needed that.

There are lots of really great suggestions here, and I see you're going to speak to a dr re: changing your medication, whih is a very positive, and very difficult move to make, so well done you!

I totally get what you're saying about cooking for one person - it is a pain in the *kitten*. When my fiance broke up with me a year ago, I decided that I couldn't be bothered to figure out how to cook for one, so I invested in a bunch of tupperware tubs instead. Now I can cook a big amount, portion it out and stick what I'm not eating in the freezer. It means I only have to cook once or twice a week - the rest of the time I come home, stick some rice/pasta on the boil and microwave myself some leftovers. Give it a try, you won't be sorry
    xxx
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am proud of you for taking the steps to get better - not only mentally but physically. I was on Lexapro, too, but it stopped working for me. I switched to Effexor and it made a world of difference.

You've also gotten into the habit of eating. You're not necessarily hungry but it gives you something to do and it doesn't judge you and let's face it, food makes us feel good. But you're not eating the *right* things. That will come in time.

First focus on getting your mind in the right place and you can then work on your weight. *hugs*
  • cvervest
    Options
    Take it ONE day at a time. Practice logging even if you are not ready to change your habits. Just practice it, get into a routine, and develop a plan.

TRUE TRUE, even if you eat 4000 Cals a day.... Log it, because you Will see what you are doing and eating!!!
    And make you aware of it.....
    You can Drink before meals so you feel full earlier.....
    Log everything, so at somedsy you are gonna be sick of it and do something about it! GOODLUCK
  • csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Since I am still getting messages about this post, I thought that I would give you all a lovely update.

I met with a new psychiatrist today and she prescribed me Wellbutrin in addition to my Lexapro. Apparently its the "happy, horny, and skinny pill", so that can't be too bad, right? :P She is hoping that in the next few weeks, I'll start to gain the energy to get up out of bed and stop sleeping for 15+ hours a day.

I managed to go two whole days without eating fast food so far! I'm at the point though where I would sell my soul for Panda Express. I went to buy a diet coke on campus in the food court and almost ended up in line there… I'm dreaming of fried rice, orange chicken, and honey walnut shrimp.