HRM Question

So I have a Polar FT4 HRM that I use regularly on the treadmill/bike, etc. I am fully aware that for it to work properly you MUST wear the chest strap. However, if I wear the chest strap and not the watch will it still work? I ask because I want to begin using wrist weights on the treadmill which the watch will not fit over. I know that sometimes the treadmill itself can interfere with the HRM, but I have an older style one (a crosswalk, with the swinging arms) and am really trying to focus on toning my arms. Thoughts?

Replies

• Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    So I have a Polar FT4 HRM that I use regularly on the treadmill/bike, etc. I am fully aware that for it to work properly you MUST wear the chest strap. However, if I wear the chest strap and not the watch will it still work? I ask because I want to begin using wrist weights on the treadmill which the watch will not fit over. I know that sometimes the treadmill itself can interfere with the HRM, but I have an older style one (a crosswalk, with the swinging arms) and am really trying to focus on toning my arms. Thoughts?

Typically, the only issue is distance from transmitter (chest strap) to reciever (watch). Try it out.. strap the watch to the treadmill, and see if you are still getting consistant readings. If so, then it will work fine.

The watch is just a readout for what the strap is reading.
  • Thanks!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    For toning you'd be better of doing actual strength training exercises. The only thing those light weights on your wrists might do is help burn a few more calories. No need to start with heavy duty stuff either, just do some body weight exercises like squats, lunges, push-ups, sit ups, tricep dips, etc. You don't even need to buy weights for moves like bicep curls and shoulder presses, just use a gallon jug filled with water. Completely full, they weigh about 8 pounds but of course you can start with them 1/4 or 1/2 full then work your way up. You can google for more ideas...

Good luck!
  • Thanks, I do this stuff also, just looking to maximize the cardio that I do in addition to the strength training.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Thanks, I do this stuff also, just looking to maximize the cardio that I do in addition to the strength training.

Not sure if it will work for you, but I've found using what my DDPYoga program calls "engagement" can increase cardio a LOT when on the treadmill.

(Now, I don't run, but I do walk briskly and try to get my HR up into the 136-146 range).

By "engagement" what I mean is tensing the muscles in the upper body (shoulders, arms, pecs, etc) then sort of fighting against myself while swinging them during my walk (like moving through clay or water), and this can jack heart rate pretty easily.