I'm Hungry ALL the Time

Options
I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but my meals don’t seem to fill me up for very long. I usually have my breakfast at about 7am (usually always porridge with fruit) but I’m hungry again at about 10am. I try to choose healthy snacks for when I feel hunger pangs, like fruit or nuts but I don’t feel like they help that much. I eat lunch at 1ish and my stomach is rumbling by 4! What am I doing wrong?

I drink plenty of water so I doubt its dehydration. My diary is open so please feel free to have a look and see if I’m not eating enough or not eating the right foods? (Ignore the weekend just gone, it was the bf’s birthday). It’s mainly during the week when I’m working that I find it affects me most. When I’m at home I think because I know there’s food available to eat at any time I don’t get as hungry.

Replies

• sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed!
    You would maybe be better eating smaller portions more often or could maybe have a smoothie or something inbetween ?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed. I find protein in the morning stays with me longer than carbs - there is nothing wrong with eating snacks frequently - depending on the day I will have 4 or 5 snacks. If I am hungry I eat something.
  • FaithsFood
    Options
    Ooops! Sorry it was open. I think it's public now again.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure that your calorie goal is actually appropriate for your body and activity level. Way too many people set an aggressive goal and then ignore what their body is trying to tell them.

2. Look for foods that are higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help keep you feeling fuller and more satisfied for a longer period of time.

3. Drink plenty of water (or fluids of choice).

4. Play around with your meal timings. When you eat won't make a difference to your weight loss. Some people do better with 6 small meals a day and some people prefer 2 large meals. Find what works for your schedule.

5. Give you body some time to adjust. The hormones that control your hunger signals are sent out partially out of habit. As you eat less your body will catch up and stop telling you to be hungry as often. It takes a while, but your body will catch up with your brain if you're consistent.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You are WAY low on protein. Aim for at least 100 grams a day.

ETA: I'm sure you could raise your calories a bit and still lose weight, but that's totally up to you.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are consistently under your goal, rather than reaching it. Try eating all the food.

You are also eating a lot of fruit and starchy foods: less sugar and more fiber and protein can be very useful in controlling hunger.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options

+1
    Please check out this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1167386-review-of-dietary-protein-during-caloric-restriction?hl=1.1-1.4+g/lb+protein
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    hi
    It looks like youre netting 900 cals! on onw day that I saw your diary for) That's low.
    I agree to go with higher protein and fiber and eat more on your goal calories.
  • FaithsFood
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I think you're right about the meal timings, I always try to stick to the same meal times every day because I had been told not to eat after 8pm but I'm starting to realise that it's best just to eat when I'm hungry even if's late.
  • brad2021hk
    Options
    I would eat a more substantial breakfast with more protein.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Going to repeat the protein bit. Protein releases its energy slowly, giving you a fuller feeling for longer. I love my fruits as much as the next person, but fruits, vegetables, and grains (all of which are carbs) may be healthy, but they're for short bursts of energy and you'll feel hungry again in a couple hours.

Eat eggs for breakfast, eat more peanut butter. If you aren't vegetarian, add a serving of meat to your salads. Timing your meals is helpful, but protein will probably help you even more than meal timing.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    1. Insufficient calories.

2. Low on protein.

3. Food is not spread out evenly through the day.

4. Eat more calorie dense foods.
  • FaithsFood
    Options

ETA: I'm sure you could raise your calories a bit and still lose weight, but that's totally up to you.

I'm trying to eat more protein (cottage cheese, greek yoghurt) but usually only eat meat for dinner because I'm on a bit of a budget.

Does anyone have some cheaper suggestions for protein sources?

I'm trying not to eat too much peanut butter / nuts in general because of the high calorie count.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure that your calorie goal is actually appropriate for your body and activity level. Way too many people set an aggressive goal and then ignore what their body is trying to tell them.

2. Look for foods that are higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help keep you feeling fuller and more satisfied for a longer period of time.

4. Play around with your meal timings. When you eat won't make a difference to your weight loss. Some people do better with 6 small meals a day and some people prefer 2 large meals. Find what works for your schedule.

5. Give you body some time to adjust. The hormones that control your hunger signals are sent out partially out of habit. As you eat less your body will catch up and stop telling you to be hungry as often. It takes a while, but your body will catch up with your brain if you're consistent.

^^ Very much this.... looking at your diary, you stay way too low on the protien. The other thing that a friend recently pointed out to me.... Maybe too much fruit. It is good for you, but doesn't stick around as long as you may be needing. I took my fruit down and my veggies up, added more protien and am rarely hungry now.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    You don't have to be, and in my opinion, shouldn't be, hungry in order to lose weight. Keep your deficit small (TDEE-15%) and aim for 0.8-1g of protein per lb of body weight. Make sure not to use "diet" foods or "low cal" prepackaged foods and get enough fat, including saturated which is great for producing satiety and keeping you full.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have to have protein in the morning or I get hungry quickly. Yogurt and hard-boiled eggs are favorites for me. If I eat cereal, I try to eat a high-fiber cereal.

I'm not usually hungry right when I get up, so I have my coffee and then I have my actual breakfast later, around 10 or 10:30, when I start to feel hungry. If I'm hungry when I get up, though, I have something to eat.

This usually helps me get to noon or 1 p.m.ish before I feel hungry for lunch.

I have to have a small snack, and sometimes a few small snacks, in the afternoon to get from lunch to dinner. Sometimes I spread out my lunch, for example, eat a sandwich at noon, some nuts at 3 p.m. and maybe half a protein bar at 5 or 6 p.m. Spreading the food out like that helps me not get hungry.

I agree that your body needs to get adjusted to eating less, so maybe you need to gradually reduce your calories.

Also you need to eat foods that help you feel full longer. For me, almonds, cheese, eggs, a high-protein bar or something like that helps alot.
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Eggs.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

^^Perfect!
  • christinelyn
    christinelyn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Need more protein! If I don't eat enough I'm starving within an hour.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

I'm trying to eat more protein (cottage cheese, greek yoghurt) but usually only eat meat for dinner because I'm on a bit of a budget.

Does anyone have some cheaper suggestions for protein sources?

I'm trying not to eat too much peanut butter / nuts in general because of the high calorie count.

Cant get much cheaper than eggs.

ETA and canned tuna