Endomondo

Options
DaveInFL
DaveInFL Posts: 84 Member
Anyone use this to track their exercises? I've been using it for a while now to track my running (non-treadmill) and cycling. Got a couple of questions.

1. Sunday I cycled for 75 mins, did 22.5 miles at an avg rate of around 18.5/mph. Endomondo states this burns around 1,583 calorie. Does that sound right to people?

2. Just got in for the gym and I did 30 mins on the elliptical for a total of 4.11 miles. The machine stated somewhere in the region of 350 calories. When I manually enter this into Endomondo it is showing 213 calories, which is quite a bit different. I'd like to think that 4.11 miles in 30 mins would equate to more than 213 calories.

Thanks.

Replies

• toiletski
    toiletski Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think both are guesses really. The app can't tell for sure the amount of calories burned unless it has all your stats too. The best way to know the exact calories burned is to get a heart rate monitor.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I used Endomondo for cycling . My overall impression was that the calories it showed for it were high. That was my gut/intuition. I always knocked off 25% of the caloric results. I did like it for recording the miles of my journeys though, and it does account for your age, weight, gender, and height so the algorythim generating the calories isn't too much of a wild hair; but certainly an estimate.

A side note-- when I ride my beach cruiser I don't adjust the endomondo results downward. My beach bike is gearless, and significanlty heavier than my road bike, and I am riding on soft and hard sand, sitting upright on the saddle, usually against the wind on at least one phase of the ride.

I ride for fitness rather than performance; and I have better than avg cardio conditioning for my age. I'm 61 but not falling apart at the seams.
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just used it the first time this morning in conjunction with my Garmin HRM. 25 min of jogging - endomondo said 350 calories burned, Garmin said 220. I do like their training plans though and having a voice in my ear telling me when I need to pick up the speed/slow down, etc.
  • Marcus_Anthony
    Marcus_Anthony Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use this app too. Add a Heart Rate monitor for better accuracy.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I love it! I'm using it when I go for a walk. I can't drive and I just walk whenever I have to go somewhere not too far. I can track the distance and the pace and this is very useful, since I've found it's pretty correct about calories burned.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I use endomondo to measure how fast my walks are. I completely ignore the calories burned on it because there is absolutely no way it is anywhere near accurate for measuring how many calories it burned.

For an example as to why I take this stand: Today, I walked 3.71 miles in 58 minutes (I walk fast). Without knowing anything about my body composition, Endomondo estimated I burned 678 calories. MFP estimated it was 470 calories, and we all know MFP estimates extremely high. If I had my HRM on, I'm sure it would have read out 350-400 calories.

If I chose to eat back the Endomondo calories, I would be around 250-350 calories over what I should be eating. That's half a 1 lb/week deficit! If you did this every day, you'd slow your weightloss by half.

Another note: it said I acended 10 ft more than I decended, even though my start/stop position was the same. It does take elevation into account for measure calorie intake. Not good.

Another note: If you have the screen off, it doesn't record your location as often as it does with the screen on. This will make it cut corners as you record, and will shorten you distance rode (if you're cycling), and lower your speed. If you're cycling, you need to keep the screen on.
  • DaveInFL
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback all. I too am thinking that what it states is on the high side.
    When in a gym or treadmill it's harder to guess, but in this case Endomondo was actually lower than what the gym machine was saying. They both have the same information. My age and my weight, Endo does have my height as well.

I think ultimately I need to get me a Garmin with a heart rate monitor if I want to be more accurate.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get an HRM that also measures your VO2 Max. Without that, the calorie burn is still just a guess.
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just started using a HRM that has a bluetooth link to iphone apps. Endo was one of the recommended apps. Is there another one that I could use that would be more accurate? I don't run or bike - I do circuit type workouts, Focus t25 and JNL Fusion
  • DaveInFL
    Options
    Sounds like with an HRM Endomondo is more accurate.