Do you support your local music scene?

Options

Replies

• LeanneHarrington3
    LeanneHarrington3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do, although EVERY live music venue in my town has closed down! When a new one opens it only lasts a few months so I go to Bristol now as there is always something going on there. You can't beat going to a decent gig.
  • hbwright74
    hbwright74 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get the chance and the money. I used to as a young adult, and still do in my late 30s. I love seeing bands make it. I remember a lot I've seen locally where the crowd is 5 rows deep and next thing you know they are selling out their own tours, both local bands,and some that started off doing smaller south/eastern tours. Some of the music I like, some not so much, but I support them if they are talented musicians. My problem is now I've gotten my children into it and it gets expensive paying door charge for 4 or 5 compared to 1 or 2 (when it was just my husband and I). We have to pick and choose a lot more than we used to so have started only really seeing our favorite local bands on occasion and saving up for the national bands that we absolutely cannot miss. I love that we can do this as a family on occasions.
  • rockinchick221976
    rockinchick221976 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I do support local music scene. :smile:
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes.

I go to more local shows than I do national shows, and have been doing so since I was about 14 y.o.

I'm not big into metal, but I go see metal shows when my friends are playing. I lean more heavily toward punk, ska, reggae, rockabilly, folk, roots, and outlaw country.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I use to be apart of the metal scene my boyfriend at the time was in one of the bands soo I went to shows at least 2-3 times a week all over Ontario/Quebec/Michigan but also local tooo

now I am not really a fan of the bands that are around here........but I do like to see musicians not so much bands .. again its because I am probably friends with them that I go and support them :love: :love: :love: :flowerforyou:
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I most definitely support local musicians. I am married to one, and I have seen the struggles that they faced over the past few years. Now a days, it is so much more than just booking shows and doing what you love to do. It has become quite sad what musicians have to go through. You would think that just being talented would be enough, but sadly it is not. A venue won't even look at booking you unless you have a certain amount of "likes" on your facebook page, and then if you make the cut, you are responsible for bringing the crowd in to said venue in order to earn a paycheck. Being married to a musician, I know he is just happy playing music for people, and it has never really been about the money but I know it's frustrating all the same to put so much time and effort into something. Had to post this because it is so true.

2014_02_03_10_52_35_1.jpg

Support your local musicians peeps.

*Shameless plug to follow*
    https://www.reverbnation.com/user/login#!/theotherus
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I support just about anything local.

Music is one of the bettah ones...
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Phoenix has a lot of really good local bands! My favorite is The Sugar Thieves. We have lots of cool divey music bars that get really good bands!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I gave plenty of my time and money to local acts when I was younger. Now that I'm older and set in my ways, I have to budget my time and money for shows that I really, really want to see and know I'll love. It's more an issue of money and an aversion to loud, crowded bars than just not not supporting the local scene.
  • nicolared1
    Options
    Not really these days. The main reason would be that since my arthritis has been bad I can't manage to stand up for that long anymore. I go out to a club once a month when my fiance DJs, and they often have bands on, but otherwise I mainly go to theatre and burlesque shows.
  • scottstephens79
    scottstephens79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I tore it up for awhile through my 20's. I still like quality live music but I'm finding fewer venues these days that I'm comfortable in. I doubt I'll head back out more than 2-3 times a year as I'm finding I no longer like alcohol or the typical deep fried bar foods
  • Fiery_Vixen
    Fiery_Vixen Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I did when I was younger...I always had a boyfriend in some type of band who'd I go watch play. But now, for the first time ever, I'm with a guy with no musical talent whatsoever (sad). He doesn't care for the band scene so I don't get the chance to go out to see any very often. think I make it out to about one show a month.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I try to when I have the cash. There are a couple of local bands I heard here at a convention live, so I purchased their music. There are also a couple of independent bands I buy music from, and I know about them because the lead singers in both are voice actors that I grew up listening to in various shows.
  • Fiery_Vixen
    Fiery_Vixen Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a local metal band concert, called Bloodrail. First time at a metal concert in about a decade. I forgot how much fun it is!!!
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I've been supporting local bands (and played in a one or 2) my whole life. I rarely see a show in a venue larger than a good size club actually. I see less now since I don't shoot for magazine reviews anymore but at one point I was seeing shows 4 nights out of 7 . Most of my friends are involved in music (whether it's the old punks from when I lived in London in 76-77 or Toronto after that or people I've met along the way. If they aren't musicians they are likely sound people club employes, artists.....) I go see bands touring as well but always show for the openers (A friends flew in Dream Syndicate for a one of show in a small club last week but obot the openers were excellent local acts - one from the 70's Simply Saucer and the other very new albeit with experienced people -Poppy Seed and the Love explosion

Edit : And I almost always buy merch from one of the acts at least - Saturday it was a limited edition 45
  • purplepink1992
    Options
    When I was 14-17 I was always going to shows and supporting the local music, it was a 'hardcore' music type scene. It was actually fun because everyone knew each other one way or another. But as I grew up I just completely grew out of the music. A city near me does do S.C.E.N.E music festival so I usually go yearly! There's lots of opportunities for lesser known bands to get exposure, as well as they always have a few really well known bands play.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    When I was 14-17 I was always going to shows and supporting the local music, it was a 'hardcore' music type scene. It was actually fun because everyone knew each other one way or another. But as I grew up I just completely grew out of the music. A city near me does do S.C.E.N.E music festival so I usually go yearly! There's lots of opportunities for lesser known bands to get exposure, as well as they always have a few really well known bands play.

Steve Stumble puts the Hot Rod Hootenanny on a weekend or 2 before that in St Catherines that i go down to from toronto for most years
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I only support GOOD music, local or no.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    No. As a matter of fact, I hate live music. The kind of music I like (rock/alternative) tends to be blasted at unreasonable volumes when played live and I do not enjoy it.