My success with Oatmeal

Options
This is something I feel deserves to be shared. I have always heard of how great Oatmeal is for you and how much fiber it contains. However, I have always struggled to get through a bowl more than once a week. Since I have started using mfp, I have rededicated myself to eating oatmeal.

About two weeks ago, I bought a bunch of frozen fruit. Once I began adding blueberries and just a tiny amount of brown sugar, I am hooked!

Oatmeal has had such a tremendous effect on my diet for the rest of the day. Nearly everyday that I eat oatmeal, I end up struggling to get enough calories. I am simply not as hungry, and don't worry, I make sure to eat all my calories :) If there has been once constant tip/suggestions I have given others, it is to try and use oatmeal as much as possible in your diet.

Replies

• marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal has the oppsite effect on me. I eat more the whole day. WHY!!!
  • sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal for my 6 AM breakfast 3-5 times a week, and I put a little honey on it. I've really gotten to like it!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm whole grains are SO good for you! Go Fiber!!
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal everyday for lunch...I throw a small box of raisins in mine=)
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oatmeal every day 7 days a week with either blueberries or raisins and cinnamon. It is so good for you. I can't say it makes me full but I know it is a healthy breakfast.
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yumm I LOVE oatmeal. Have it almost everyday, and especially in winter it's so nice to have something warm and comforting in the mornings! I've been craving sweet things recently and so I've been adding a tablespoon of sugar free apricot jam along with my regular blueberries. Only an extra 10 or 20 cals and sooo nice
  • mjcrothers
    mjcrothers Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your posts on oatmeal. I was just thinking today how much I struggle to eat it. I usually eat if for breakfast when I made bad choices the previous day. Kind of like a punishment. I would like to be able to enjoy it more and thus eat it more regularly. Thanks for the suggestions! I will definately give them a try.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, it is so warm and comforting. I like to put brown sugar and raisins in it, blueberries or bananas are also good in it and I like to put a tiny bit of nonfat milk on top YUM
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I added between 1/2 T to a tablespoon of natural peanut butter to my oatmeal or some cut up apples. I love oatmeal. It's amazing
  • ChanelCharlie
    Options
    everyday that I go to school (3 times a week) I get starbucks oatmeal!!! I love it!! I add about 1/3 of the brown sugar packet and its sweet enough, I also love Quaker peaches and cream!!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Oatmeal is amazing. I use to HATE it too. Definitely get the container of Quakers and not the ones in the pouches. I like to add Sugar/Artificial Sweeter. If I have some extra calories I'll add peanut butter and whipped cream, possibly even jelly.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal. :) I can't stand the instant oatmeal though...just not as filling. I make rolled oats with almond milk and whip sliced bananas in while cooking it. Makes it taste amazing without having to add sugar. Then I go crazy with my toppings. :P
  • eversits
    eversits Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I used to love oatmeal, and then I stopped eating it for some reason...but I forgot the reason. So thanks to this post, I am going to start eating more oatmeal. However, I cannot stand it with water. I have to heat it up with MILK; otherwise, I cannot eat it!
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I usually have mine with blackberries, blueberries, flax seed & splenda brown sugar. It definitely keeps me fuller for longer too!
    Funny to read this post right now, my hubby is out of town so instead of making dinner I just had oatmeal!! Lol
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Me too...I always wondered if I was an odd ball b/c everyone talks a bout how filling it is. But it doesn't do it for me.
  • Snoopaloop
    Options
    I love putting 2 tbsp of ground flax, half a chopped apple and a good dose of cinnamon. Sometimes I add a little agave syrup for a little sweetness. I find its not always super filling or satisfying, but I know how good it is for me.
  • kaddie125
    Options

Me too...I always wondered if I was an odd ball b/c everyone talks a bout how filling it is. But it doesn't do it for me.

Me three. If I have oatmeal I end up eating more throughout the day. It's weird...
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options

Me three. If I have oatmeal I end up eating more throughout the day. It's weird...

If I have oatmeal (like 1/3 c, 100 cals) for a snack or lunch I'm starving within an hour...but for breakfast it's fine.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I love my instant oatmeal but I'm thinking i should try the real stuff. This was a nudge in the right direction!
  • ahunt888
    ahunt888 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with 1 tbs pumpkin butter is my absolute favorite breakfast!