Wireless bras for larger sizes

jevoyager
jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
So I pretty much cannot stand underwires, and hoping someone has a good suggestion from the usual wire free bras I wear. I've been wearing LB's cotton no wire bras, and they're ok, but feel like I could be better supported. What they are great for is keeping things where they should be when I'm out doing field work and lifting/carrying/bending over etc. I tried one of their molded cotton wire free, which the sales lady said should offer better support and I liked it well enough, but those became a no go the first time I bent over to pick up a box :noway: Part of the problem seems to be finding one that provides support for larger cup size (DDD), especially if you have a smaller band size (36/38), and I stay in it when moving around. Underwires are a no go for me, as they dig into my ribcage (I have like no padding where the band goes around, and my ribcage kinda protrudes out so it hurts regardless - I've tried on several types/styles and they all kill me wearing more than an hour). I really hope someone will have some suggestions!

Replies

• Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Those plug in bras must be a real hassle.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    If you have no padding at 36/38 band I suspect you're wearing the wrong size. That is not actually a very small band. I know women dealing with 30G etc. Go and get fitted and they will be a lot more comfortable. :flowerforyou:
  • fitfan11
    fitfan11 Posts: 544 Member
    I hate when my wireless bra won't connect to the internet!!!
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Try moving the router?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    If you have no padding at 36/38 band I suspect you're wearing the wrong size. That is not actually a very small band. I know women dealing with 30G etc. Go and get fitted and they will be a lot more comfortable. :flowerforyou:

^ YES.

OP, 36 and 38 are not actually smaller band sizes at all. DDD isn't a tremendously huge cup size.

If you have troubles with bras, and think you are a 36 or 38DDD, I definitely recommend measuring yourself and/or getting professionally fitted at a good boutique or a Nordstrom. Victoria's Secret or Frederick's are NOT the place to get fitted.

Underwires shouldn't dig into your ribcage. If they do, you're in the wrong-size bra. Similarly, underwires are not necessary to good support. A well fitting bra, even a soft cup, can help lift and support if it's *the right size.*

Once you know your proper size, you can then figure out where to go for good bras.
  • fitfan11
    fitfan11 Posts: 544 Member
    apparently my two antennas aren't pointed in the right direction
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    apparently my two antennas aren't pointed in the right direction
    You didn't insert them into the correct orifice in your body.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    When you have a DDD+ cup size or larger, a 36/38 band is a bit of a rarity. I wear a 38E (DDD is the same thing in the States) and it was nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find bras 1. in a regular retail store that would fit properly 2. wirefree - nearly EVERYTHING in this size is underwire.

If you CAN get measured, do it. It will make a HUGE (har-har) difference in how bras fit and feel. I also go to shops (online and in person) that I know will accommodate "the girls", so to speak. I like Bravissimo - they have a "perfect fit guide" that is very helpful.

I do agree that if underwires hurt, you're most likely NOT wearing the right size - they shouldn't poke or pinch you at all.

Try Bravissimo's guide (they're in the UK, but they serve US customers):
    http://www.bravissimo.com/perfectfit/getting-the-perfect-fit/

Edited: Spelling sucks.

Good luck.
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member

Seconded. Plus, if you had issues picking something up, you're *definitely* wearing the wrong size. Get fitted, or have someone help you measure. Try a nicer department store if you don't have a specialty bra store around, they will fit you for free. Life is so much easier in the right bra size. :)

If you still need wireless bras, try OneStopPlus - they do larger sizes, in several wireless styles, somewhat cheaply. When I was still 44F, I used them as running bras.
  • shirleyh1946
    shirleyh1946 Posts: 100 Member
    I had those awful Bras from V.S. and I hated them. So after wearing them for a couple yrs. (expensive) I felt I was fitted wrong. I went to JCPenny's and a women there measured me. V.S. did measure right. She introduced me to a Wireless Bra that is Awesome. Plus it was half the cost of V.S. =Vanity Fair and I LOVE it. Try finding 42-44 C???? Believe me it's hard!!
    Anyway-Good Luck.:smile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Checking in at 36H:

For wireless everyday use I use...

http://www.lanebryant.com/cotton-no-wire-bra/p31347/index.pro

in 38G.....solo for everyday, sometimes even for sleep, and then double up under a tank top "run" bra for running.

You're welcome.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Also WiFi jokes are funny. Sloshy bewbs are not. Neither are black eyes and ogling while running.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Checking in at 36H:

in 38G.....solo for everyday, sometimes even for sleep, and then double up under a tank top "run" bra for running.

You're welcome.
    I'm confused... Their size guide says your bra size is your *band* size plus your cup size. I'd always thought it was your *bust* size plus your cup size. Very few places have 31F bras that I've ever seen... Maybe this is unique to Lane Bryant?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Checking in at 36H:

You're welcome.
    I'm confused... Their size guide says your bra size is your *band* size plus your cup size. I'd always thought it was your *bust* size plus your cup size. Very few places have 31F bras that I've ever seen... Maybe this is unique to Lane Bryant?

band is usually the thing. at least the stores i've gone to. i've been measured UNDER my bust at the rib cage at Nordstrom, Lane Bryant, Victoria Secret, Macy's. So that's the "band". Then when they measure at the largest part of the bust that number's bigger. Then when they subtract the two numbers, the resulting number indicates the cup size.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    LOL fullster your description made me think of this...

9252300-two-blue-coffee-cups-stacked-isolated-on-white-background.jpg
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    shock absorber has a pretty good wireless sports bra.

i have no idea about regular bras because i've never seen a supportive PRETTY non wire bra for my size (around 34hh). all my bras have to be pretty, i make exceptions for sports bras but not for everyday bras
  • MyChocolateDiet

i have no idea about regular bras because i've never seen a supportive PRETTY non wire bra for my size (around 34hh). all my bras have to be pretty, i make exceptions for sports bras but not for everyday bras

QFT. When I wanna be pretty, I have to take off my bra.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Checking in at 36H:

You're welcome.

band is usually the thing. at least the stores i've gone to. i've been measured UNDER my bust at the rib cage at Nordstrom, Lane Bryant, Victoria Secret, Macy's. So that's the "band". Then when they measure at the largest part of the bust that number's bigger. Then when they subtract the two numbers, the resulting number indicates the cup size.
    Wonder if that has changed from, like, 15-20 years ago when I learned to do it, and the only reason you did the under-bust measure was to figure out the cup size.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    LOL fullster your description made me think of this...

9252300-two-blue-coffee-cups-stacked-isolated-on-white-background.jpg
    I give up. Why's that?
  • Fullsterkur_woman

QFT. When I wanna be scary, I have to take off my bra.
    :laugh: Edited to describe myself.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    Checking in at 36H:

You're welcome.

Wonder if that has changed from, like, 15-20 years ago when I learned to do it, and the only reason you did the under-bust measure was to figure out the cup size.

the main difference now is that there's no need to add 5 or 6 inches to the under bust measurement in order to get your band size
  • jevoyager

Well in store they are - 36 is just about impossible to find, and 38 only moderately better when your DDD+. At least in the stores around here, and several sales people from more than one store have pretty much told me I'd probably be stuck ordering online for the type I want (something that is full coverage that will hold up to a lot of physical movement/activity). So was hoping for some suggestions since I hate to order a bunch of stuff online and then have to go through the hassle of returning if I don't like it, maybe narrow down my choices. I was fitted for a 36DDD (@ LB and a specialty store) and seems to fit fine (I've even tried sizes up/down from that just to see and the only difference is some band sizes are more comfortable in a 38, larger cup and I just end up with extra fabric). Maybe I should try sports bras for work...
  • mildammm
    mildammm Posts: 67 Member
    When I was wearing a larger size, I usually had to order them online. Try brastop.com. They sell mostly UK brands, in D-K cups, which brings me to the sizing issue. Take a measuring tape and measure under the bust on your rib cage. Is that 38"? If not, you are definitely wearing the wrong sized bra. See, that measurement is actually the band measurement.
  • jazzcatastrophe
    jazzcatastrophe Posts: 54 Member
    Most store guidelines for bra sizing are actually way off. Check out this link: http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/quick

It has pretty much everything you need to know about properly figuring out your size, as well as where to get funky sized bras for more unusual band/cup combinations :)
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    I would suggest looking at Herroom.com, they have a ton of helpful tips on how to pick the right bra style and size for YOUR specific shape and size. On top of that, i believe it is a international website, and have a lot of other helpful features to accommodate that.

With wearing a DDD you need to make sure the bra you are buying is really the right cup. Sizes from company's after D have no regulations for what letter to put on the bra... Some company's use D, DD, DDD... others D, DD, E,... more D, E, F, ... S. So you could be wearing what you think is right but its not really.

Also, if your looking for more selection herroom has 5X the selection of what YOU want. I was looking for a under wire free Nursing bra... In a 38I... (I bought a 38G Because that brand decided proper list of sizes went D, DD, E, F,FF, G... Honestly WTF is up with the sizes after DD?) . At that size finding anywhere that sold what I was looking for was a hassle. If they did carry my size I had ONE choice... on Herroom... I had dozens of choices in my size... I narrowed it down to no under wire... had 10 choices to look at from there, from there I cut it down to 3 by what I liked... and really had a choice rather than just buying what they had.

Another great thing about Herroom.com is that they don't just cater to small sizes... there are plenty of bra styles that's size STARTS at DD.

Anyway I don't figure getting a long recommendation for a website was something you were looking for. But as someone who has struggled to find bra's all her life because she was 'big' ... and then to become pregnant on top of it and end up spending months searching for something... anything, in the right size. To finally find a place where I can buy what I want and have choices was amazing... and I've never been happier with my bra.

~ Written by a woman wearing a 38I, and hates underwrites.... (yes that size means I measure at: 38in band with 47in bust)

Edit: I just looked up your size at a 36DDD (or a 36D3)... Herroom.com has 86 choices of UNDER WIRE FREE bra's in that size. :)
  • jevoyager
    Thanks Kiyalynn :flowerforyou: That's great, sounds like just the kind of place I need to look (can't actually check it out at work as they're blocking it - crazy the things they'll let us look at and other stuff they won't, lol). And thanks for pointing out the whole letter measurement thing, I hadn't really paid too much attention to that!

mildammm I'll check out brastop too, thanks for the suggestion!

And for whomever asked yes I've measured myself and I'm a 36 right now (well 36 and a half but whatever), though like I said some bras I've tried the bands felt like they ran small even on the last hook so I'd go up to a 38. And for those who insist a 36 isn't that small, well for me it is as I used to wear a 44 :wink:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Thanks Kiyalynn :flowerforyou: That's great, sounds like just the kind of place I need to look (can't actually check it out at work as they're blocking it - crazy the things they'll let us look at and other stuff they won't, lol). And thanks for pointing out the whole letter measurement thing, I hadn't really paid too much attention to that!

mildammm I'll check out brastop too, thanks for the suggestion!

And for whomever asked yes I've measured myself and I'm a 36 right now (well 36 and a half but whatever), though like I said some bras I've tried the bands felt like they ran small even on the last hook so I'd go up to a 38. And for those who insist a 36 isn't that small, well for me it is as I used to wear a 44 :wink:

If your band size feels tight at 36, despite measuring that way, that's an indication the cups are too small. Try on a 36 with the cups along your back. Does it still feel tight? That's a way to figure out if it feels "tight" because, in reality, it's the cups responsible for the discomfort.

And of course a 36 is smaller than 44! We're just pointing out that 36 bands are very easy to find in most stores; "smaller" sizes like 32, 30, 28, etc. are much more difficult to find. Of course, once you venture out of the DD range, bras are harder to find regardless of band size (unless you know where to go!).

If you don't mind sharing the difference between your bust and underbust, we might be able to point you to a cup size that would feel more comfortable and be better for your breasts.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member

I agree with this.
  • jmoorez
    jmoorez Posts: 1 Member
    I wear a 38DD & have found the Bali #3820 Double Support to be the BEST by far!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Wacoal makes excellent bras for big boobs. I love them, and I also hate underwire.