Concealed Handgun permit holders......

Options
2»

Replies

• fitfan11
    fitfan11 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Still waiting for my application to be approved. As far as the situation at Wally world, I don't think it would be justified in my state to pull my gun unless I felt my life is in danger.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    You hear two gunshots in the store. You turn the corner and hear a third shot as you see a man (A) who has just fired his gun and another man (B) slumped to the floor bleeding. You pull out your gun and shoot the man (A) who just shot the other man. You take another step you see yet another person (C) dead on the floor. Then you realize that the person you just killed (A) was another concealed carry holder and the person he killed (B) was the original shooter. Before you have a chance to fully realize what happened, you look up and see another CC holder pulling out his gun and firing at you...

point taken. you must carefully examine the situation, action, and outcome in 1.4 seconds.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    just wanted to add that i live in NH, so i can basically shoot the cable guy if he doesnt show up at the scheduled time.

i kid.
    but we do have castle doctrine.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    You mean to tell me that the "No Firearms" sign that is posted outside of every Wal-mart did nothing to stop someone hell-bent on shooting another person?

I am shocked! Shocked i tell you.

I'm all for concealed carry. I support the second amendment. I hunt. But i'm no hero. Unless i saw someone pointing a gun at me or spaying gunfire randomly, i don't think i could pull a weapon on someone. Hopefully i never find out for sure.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It is very dependent upon the state and the angle of prosecution. In that situation it could get sticky. In PA , when you shoot someone outside of your home in self defense you must be in a situation where retreat is unachievable...which is a very subjective matter.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I live in Alaska, very loose gun laws (do not need a consealed)

I think you would be justified because the person would be an active shooter and you do not know if the person i targeting someone for going to shoot up the place.

A response to the shooter getting shot and then another consealed shooting the other shooter. If you are a consealed and do not see a situation happen and then randomly come around a corner firing, you should not have a consealed. If you did not see what happened and are making assumptions then you should not fire your gun because your life is not threatened because you were not there.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I'm all for protecting yourself! I know in Massachusetts homeowners have shot people breaking into their homes and have even found guilty for injuring or killing the person breaking in! A lot would probably depend on where you live!

It depends on the state. GA would be a good kill, CA you are going to jail.

I'm all for self defense, but the first technique in self defense is running away or desculate. In the rare case that you can't, you may have to use your firearm to protect yourself. If you do, you have to be aware of the situation and surroundings. Is their a McDonalds right behind the shooter with a family of 6 trying to order happy meals? Is he shooting then running? is he alone?

You have to make a lot of decisions in a split second, better make it right.

I'm in California and DH has a CCW. My understanding is that, if you feel your life is in danger, you have the right to shoot. If someone is shooting another person remotely in my vicinity, I would feel that my life is in danger, and I wouldn't hesitate.
    You must live out in the sticks, because from my research, it's impossible to get a concealed carry permit in CA unless you live in a very rural area. CA does have a castle doctrine though, which surprised me.
  • Modern_Warrior
    Options
    my understanding (which could very well be wrong) is, if you fire on someone to stop them from killing you or someone else, then it's a good shoot (depending on what state too i believe).

that said, as a carrier, i would take each situation as it comes.
    if i can save a life without putting mine in imminent danger, then great...but i have a wife and kid who count on me to be there, so if helping the other party is going to get me killed then i'll be over here, hiding under the clearance rack.

ETA: im not a hero. i carry to protect me and mine, not the world.

Both my husband and I have CHL's (and are both prior military), but I'm with this poster. If however, the shooter turns on other shoppers and starts shooting everything and everyone in site, from my protected position, I will take him out.

^^^THIS!^^^
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm all for protecting yourself! I know in Massachusetts homeowners have shot people breaking into their homes and have even found guilty for injuring or killing the person breaking in! A lot would probably depend on where you live!

I'm all for self defense, but the first technique in self defense is running away or desculate. In the rare case that you can't, you may have to use your firearm to protect yourself. If you do, you have to be aware of the situation and surroundings. Is their a McDonalds right behind the shooter with a family of 6 trying to order happy meals? Is he shooting then running? is he alone?

I'm in California and DH has a CCW. My understanding is that, if you feel your life is in danger, you have the right to shoot. If someone is shooting another person remotely in my vicinity, I would feel that my life is in danger, and I wouldn't hesitate.
    You must live out in the sticks, because from my research, it's impossible to get a concealed carry permit in CA unless you live in a very rural area. CA does have a castle doctrine though, which surprised me.

I'm in a city of roughly 500,000. Not super urban, but far from rural.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have been debating getting a CC permit, but for right now, I'm gonna wait until my youngest two are old enough to stop snooping in everything. If I were in that situation, I honestly can't say what I would do. However, if I was the one getting shot, I'd certainly appreciate someone taking out the shooter.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I'm in a city of roughly 500,000. Not super urban, but far from rural.

Its the county you live in. You have to personally know the sheriff in all counties in the bay area, LA, Montery Bay and Sacramento. I just moved 5 mile west from Placer county to Sac county and now It not even worth appling for a CCW.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    It also depends on one's line of work. :wink:
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Locally over the weekend and man walked into Walmart and opened fire on a woman in the checkout line. Shooting her 4 times. She just got upgraded from critical to stable condition I believe so, it looks like she may pull out of it. My question is this though. If you are a person with a concealed handgun permit and lets say you were in the next checkout line. Would you be justified in shooting the shooter? I called a friend of mine who is the county sheriff here and his exact words were "I believe so but, that would be a question for the prosecutor so don't take that to the bank"

I realize there would be a lot to consider in that split second. People running around screaming and possibly getting in the line of fire. As a concealed permit holder myself. I don't think I would hesitate to pull my pistol out and shoot this person because in that moment, you don't know if it's just an isolated incident on that particular victim or if the shooter is randomly shooting people. Thus, you are protecting your own life.

Self defense laws vary from place to place, so there's no "boilerplate" answer.

In PA I am legal to use lethal force in defense of myself or another, if lethal force is being used against them.

in that scenario, assuming all was as stated, and I'm legally carrying (not a felon, etc), then by state law, it would be a justified shoot.

That said, there's no guarantee a prosecutor wouldn't start licking their chops and go after me anyway, but legally, it should be covered.

YMMV as state and city laws vary place to place. In PA I also have no duty to retreat.. in some places you do, and transferrance of self defense doesn't work.
  • howcanthatbetakenalready
    Options
    Locally over the weekend and man walked into Walmart and opened fire on a woman in the checkout line. Shooting her 4 times. She just got upgraded from critical to stable condition I believe so, it looks like she may pull out of it. My question is this though. If you are a person with a concealed handgun permit and lets say you were in the next checkout line. Would you be justified in shooting the shooter? I called a friend of mine who is the county sheriff here and his exact words were "I believe so but, that would be a question for the prosecutor so don't take that to the bank"

I realize there would be a lot to consider in that split second. People running around screaming and possibly getting in the line of fire. As a concealed permit holder myself. I don't think I would hesitate to pull my pistol out and shoot this person because in that moment, you don't know if it's just an isolated incident on that particular victim or if the shooter is randomly shooting people. Thus, you are protecting your own life.

Shootings are getting completely out of hand. I'm going to apply for a CCW soon. It has gotten to the point that you are not even safe in a movie theater or grocery store
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

And the truth comes out :)
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Shootings are getting completely out of hand. I'm going to apply for a CCW soon. It has gotten to the point that you are not even safe in a movie theater or grocery store

No they aren't. But the breathless press will fall all over yourself to convince you they are.

Violent crime has been steadily dropping for 40 years.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Certainly a lot of things to take into consideration but, If I have a good opportunity, I'm taking him out. I don't think you could find a Grand Jury that would indict me.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options

No they aren't. But the breathless press will fall all over yourself to convince you they are.

Violent crime has been steadily dropping for 40 years.
    24 years in the Criminal Justice field.....I don't see it dropping!
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options

And the truth comes out :)

Wasn't trying to hide it. DH is not in law enforcement, but in a semi-related field. He has said, however, that women in this area are granted CCWs fairly regularly, and that I should apply for one since I work in a questionable part of the city. He thinks I won't have a problem getting mine, even though I'm not in a field where it would be advantageous to have. I'm thinking about getting mine. I'm an excellent shot. :happy: