Food etiquette question

Options
2»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's rude to say, "No, thank you," to an offer of putting something into your own mouth?

Be rude, then.

I offer food and drink when people visit because it's polite. If they don't want it, I accept that and move on.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I was raised in a manner that when you visit someone's home and they offer you food, you eat it

And now you're an adult so you don't have to follow your training anymore. That's the beauty of being grown up. You can do whatever you want.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I was raised in a manner that when you visit someone's home and they offer you food, you eat it

And now you're an adult so you don't have to follow your training anymore. That's the beauty of being grown up. You can do whatever you want.

I was raised in a manner that when someone offers you something and you don't want it, it's polite to say, "no, thank you". And not eat it.
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for responding, a lot of people gave great advice that I will be able to utilize next time we have a family function!

I really appreciate it.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude to take something for yourself and you shouldn't have to explain why - but I would also take something healthy for the buffet table - maybe not as much as you usually do - there must be some people that like to eat fresh veg or fruit - or make it into a big salad.
  • Rdlm1001
    Rdlm1001 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you want to pack yourself a diet friendly meal for a family gathering, it should be supported. My mother did a doctor assisted liquid diet and had no choice and I have friends that do weight watchers and really control their points. Maybe you will get a little teasing or ribbing, but whatever. A lot of times people who eat freely and conventionally are uncomfortable when someone else chooses to clean up their food intake. That being said, if you are going to a friends or business associates house for dinner, suck it up and control your portions. Family should understand. Good luck!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is rude, BUT I have a feeling that your family will think it is rude. It would be better to eat the salad at home, fill up before you go, and just take a bite of some of their food.
  • MarKayDee
    Options
    Oh my gosh, are you the dieting aunt?! I love it.

In my family, every Christmas SOMEONE in my family is on a diet (usually crazysauce fads they never stick to). Whoever it is that's on a restricted diet simply calls the host and let's them know what is they aren't eating at that time, not in a rude way but in a "I just started this new diet, it's great but I can't have this, what were you planning for the party so I can plan what I need to bring" kind of way. No one ever gets offended or their feelings hurt, except for the year I brought cookies when all of my aunts and grandmother had sworn off white sugar, that hurt a little until I came back from the bathroom to find them all huddled over a plate of them.

The big thing is that family can't hold it against you for trying to be healthy, and communication is what matters most when there is something you're avoiding. If you have to bring your own food ask the host f the think anyone would want some of what you plan on bringing or if you should only brings bough for yourself.