Stop cravings after a workout

Options
So I noticed that after a workout, I'll tend to go for foods that wouldn't typically go for if I didn't work out. I'm not sure if it's my body telling me to fuel itself or me just giving in because I feel like I can afford. Either way, it's awful and I wanna stop so I can continue to loose some weight.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's fairly common to want more calories post workout. My bigger question is, how many calories are you eating and what type of exercise are you doing? With only 7 lbs to lose, your goal should be 1/2 - 1 lb per week and if you are exercising you should eat additional calories. For reference, the average woman I know eat 1700-2100 calories during a cut/weight loss.

BTW, if you open your diary, we can provide suggestions. Its possible you are not eating enough protein or fats which are causing binges later on.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Well what kind of foods are you craving? If it's sugary stuff, you may need to have more carbs pre-workout to fuel your body. Personally I need to eat right after a heavy workout most of the time. I bring a chocolate or peanut butter flavored protein bar and it seems to do the trick til I get home and have dinner.
  • 000Linda000
    000Linda000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well what kind of foods are you craving? If it's sugary stuff, you may need to have more carbs pre-workout to fuel your body. Personally I need to eat right after a heavy workout most of the time. I bring a chocolate or peanut butter flavored protein bar and it seems to do the trick til I get home and have dinner.

Exactly! I never considered that. I usually make sure I have enough water before a work out but I don't typically eat more because it's at the end of the day so I assume I've eaten enough for that day.

However, I'm not a fan of working out with food in my stomach. Is there anything else you can suggest?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If you change your activity level to account for workouts, then you don't have to worry about eating exercise calories and you can eat more throughout the day. I personally, like a post workout shake. For some reason, I just feel more accomplished.
  • LilSugaFree
    LilSugaFree Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I try to eat fruit or yogurt...basically something like not too heavy in calories after a workout... Sometimes I just drink Light Grape Juice which is 45 calories for a cup after a workout and half a serving of pretzels.
  • 000Linda000
    000Linda000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's fairly common to want more calories post workout. My bigger question is, how many calories are you eating and what type of exercise are you doing? With only 7 lbs to lose, your goal should be 1/2 - 1 lb per week and if you are exercising you should eat additional calories. For reference, the average woman I know eat 1700-2100 calories during a cut/weight loss.

BTW, if you open your diary, we can provide suggestions. Its possible you are not eating enough protein or fats which are causing binges later on.

By I've only lost about 2lbs, so I don't think I should slow down now. Also, I'm not at a very high weight, and my BMR is only 1300.
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    Have always an Apple at hand...
  • psuLemon
    Options

By I've only lost about 2lbs, so I don't think I should slow down now. Also, I'm not at a very high weight, and my BMR is only 1300.

You ideally want to minimize a deficit while lean to preserve muscle mass. If you dont fuel your body with calories, you will catabolize your lbm. Essentially, losing much will not allow you to lower your body fat % which is the real indicator of leanness. Also, even with a bmr of 1300, you can still have a high tdee. Which is where your form your deficit.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    If I'm working out during the day (mid-morning) I like to have an orange, 1/2 a grapefruit or some other type of fruit in the car to nosh on immediately post-workout. Once home, I do a protein shake. Afternoon workouts are a bit different, and they've become more frequent since my husband joined the gym and we now go when he gets out of the lab. I don't eat right after; I hold off until dinner, which I make as soon as we get home... granted, I'm ravenous, but despite being hungry, I actually think I fill up more quickly... it might have something to do with the pint or two of water I've downed while making dinner...

But seriously, fruit.