Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Critique My Routine?

Options
Hi guys, I'm new here, although I've been lurking the community for quite a while. I'm pretty new to strength training (in a structured way at least) and so I put together my own routine and I was wondering if you guys could tell me how effective it's likely to be for my goals. I'm a 5'2 female, I weigh 112lbs and although I pretty much have no weight to lose I have quite a bit too much body fat, particularly on my stomach, which my main focus. Aaaanyway the routine is:

5X5 arm curls
10X10 leg presses
5X5 seated chest presses
5X5 seated row
5X5 leg extensions
5x5 lat pull down

I plan on doing this around three times a week and eating around 1500 calories a day. Sorry if my query is completely stupid, just looking for opinions. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Look into:
    New Rules of Lifting (any of them)
    Starting Strength
    Stroglifts 5x5
    Allpro
    Strong Curves
    Blaha 5x5

Pick one.
    Eat a moderate deficit.
    Profit.
  • 123pearl321
    Options
    Look into:
    New Rules of Lifting (any of them)
    Starting Strength
    Stroglifts 5x5
    Allpro
    Strong Curves
    Blaha 5x5

Pick one.
    Eat a moderate deficit.
    Profit.

Thanks. I picked some of the stuff on mine from some of those, as I have to use a mixture of free weights and machines for the foreseeable future you see, and friend who somewhat knows his stuff helped aswell. I'd have similar success sticking to mine as I would something from your list anyway, right? Also do think 1500 is too drastic, or moderate? I maintain on 2000-2100. Sorry for all the questions!
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Youll have greater success using free weights.
    Can you do squats or deadlifts?

Try 1500 but you might end up hungry. If so, up to 1800ish
  • 123pearl321
    Options
    Youll have greater success using free weights.
    Can you do squats or deadlifts?

Try 1500 but you might end up hungry. If so, up to 1800ish

I know, I plan on getting them as soon as I can, just that I'm kinda stretched for money at the moment. I go to a great little gym, it's just that their weight room isn't up to much, hence the mixture. And thanks, I'll try 1500 for I month and see how I do and up it if needs be. I don't want to screw my metabolism doing too drastic a cut, I love food too much! :laugh: I was told that the leg press is kinda the machine equivalent of both squats and deadlifts, is this so?
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    You can do goblet squats or sumo squats with dumbbells.
    And deadlifts with dumbbells too.

Leg press *might* be ann ok sub for squats depending on which set up (theres a few different kids of leg press machines) but ive never heard of it as a sub for deads.
  • 123pearl321
    Options
  • 123pearl321
    Options
    You can do goblet squats or sumo squats with dumbbells.
    And deadlifts with dumbbells too.

Leg press *might* be ann ok sub for squats depending on which set up (theres a few different kids of leg press machines) but ive never heard of it as a sub for deads.

Okay, I'll look those up. I never knew dumbbells could be used for deadlifting. Thanks for the advice btw! :bigsmile:
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Ive done deadlifts using a low pulley cable machine.

One of my pals here has adapted stronglifts for a cable tower and dumbbells. It takes a bit of researching and asking questions.

Dumbbells are wonderfully diverse.

Use them for chest presses and overhead presses as well.
    You can do rows too.
    And ta da - stronglifts with dumbbells
  • 123pearl321
    Options
    Ive done deadlifts using a low pulley cable machine.

One of my pals here has adapted stronglifts for a cable tower and dumbbells. It takes a bit of researching and asking questions.

Dumbbells are wonderfully diverse.

Use them for chest presses and overhead presses as well.
    You can do rows too.
    And ta da - stronglifts with dumbbells

Great! I feel bad asking lot's of questions, but hey, it's nessecary sometimes. And thanks again.:wink:
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Not a problem.

Check out the Eat Train Progress group here on MFP.
    Full of great info