Evil Banker Looking to Get Healthy

Options
Hello!

I've been on MFP for awhile now, but never properly introduced myself. I'm Sarah, and I need to lose a lot of weight, and in doing so, feel better about myself and get my body moving again.

I struggle with food, having very little free time. I work on a campus with 3 large buildings that house around 10,000 employees, and has its own cafeteria and food court. The food court has better nutritional information, but the cafeteria has more food choices. I usually eat both breakfast and lunch there.

I struggle to exercise, having many different issues with my body - rheumatoid arthritis, chondromalacia patella, asthma, and of course, hypothyroidism. I am a member of the gym at work, but I haven't been since last May. Mostly because of work, 50-60 hours a week at a desk.

I think I need encouragement most of all - I know what I need to do - track my food, go to the gym - I even have a Bodymedia Link! I just can't seem to get motivated to do it. I'm not sure why.

But that's me right now.

Replies

• NikkiAnamCara
    NikkiAnamCara Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah! Welcome! I'm new to MFP, though I've been using a FitBit for awhile. Tracking my activity and food has really helped me be honest with myself. Good luck to you!

The reason I'm writing to you is that we have a few similar symptoms (autoimmune) and wanted to share what I've discovered and has broken my weight-loss logjam: removing gluten from my diet. I started working with a Naturopath, who put me on the path. Since then, I've lost close to 50 pounds. Check into a book called Practical Paleo - it will explain much better than I. It helped me. I still have another 40+ pounds to go, and after years of struggling, it's now a very real possibility that I'll get there! And you can too!!!
  • allergygirl
    Options
    Hello Evil Banker AKA Sarah - :happy: :smile: I like your nickname!

I am 44 and I have hypothyroid as well. I had asthma as a kid, but learned to manage it. My allergies are atrocious. RA runs in my family but luckily no signs of joint damage so far! I am a chronic dieter, I literally started dieting when I was 11 years old I think.

I wish you well!

I think the overweight and the inflammatory conditions go hand in hand! In my case, the inflammatory stuff showed up even before the weight, and I think in part a side effects of meds, so I don't think you necessarily get sick b/c of overweight. it's more complicated than that.

What motivates you? I sometimes get motivated by doing research on the nutrition and health on the internet, and writing in a journal. I like collecting data and seeing what works. For me, 1500 calories/day, 25 g - 100 g carbs, 100 gm of protein, TONS of FAT. Totally counter intuitive, but there it is. I also can't tolerate gluten, it's absurd - I get migraines and get so sore I walk around like Frankenstein. My kids tease me.

What works for you? I sometimes like to pre-prepare all my meals & snacks when I have some down time, and then I am not so tempted to go off plan, assuming I am not super hungry. I also have had more success with low carb than anything else. My endo recommended it (even though i am not diabetic at all).

Can you make a change in your job? if you aren't glued to your desk, can you roam the halls every hour (without seeming so crazy) when I worked in a big office I used to get up walk every hour or so, and maybe even some stairs. I work in a tiny office now and believe it or not those laps around the halls made a difference.

Definitely don't blame yourself, or focus too much on what you can't do or how far your have to go. Some times it helps me to get mad, and then I'm motivated. What pleasures can your find in eating right? In some form of movement?

I am not madly successful - I need to lose 40-50 pounds at least - but I am very grateful for what I know/have managed to achieve even though sometimes I resent that it takes so much effort. It also is annoying that there doesn't seem to be a single solution that works for everyone, and I have put a lot of time and effort towards plans that don't work. But I try not to blame myself and that helps. I just can't f***ing believe that so many of us are dealing with this.
  • bukokat
    bukokat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like the title of this as well as the picture of your cat, so I'd be happy to journey with you and encourage you!

I remember working behind-the-desk jobs and how easy it was to not move all day, yet still feel fried because of the nature of your work. One thing that I remember doing (that might not work for you if mobility is an issue, at least not at first) is finding people to do a little "lunchtime walking" with, to get out and about even if we didn't go outside. Alternatively, does your gym have any personal training deals? What really got me started was working with a qualified trainer who can create a program for me and show me workouts that push me how I want to be pushed WHILE being sensitive to old injuries (dislocated knee as a teen, broke ankle in my 20s, car accident two years ago etc).

What the other two posters said about gluten is worth a look, too! That isn't something that affects me, but my SIL has a gluten sensitivity and it really messes with her everything.

Good luck, Evil Banker!
  • AngryManx
    AngryManx Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I absolutely need to move around more during the workday - I will lose myself in the work and then realize I have been sitting for 4 hours - it's not good.

I will have to look into the gluten related to autoimmune disorders, that is something that I had not thought of.

I do need to get better about prepping breakfast and lunches ahead of time.