Heavy Lifting...really?? Me?? Hmmm....

Options

Replies

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I ended up at this site when I first started lifting: http://www.stumptuous.com/ It's an awesome site that was originally designed for women's lifting but has expanded to include men. It's funny, irreverent and has a ton of great tips on form etc.

Regarding hrm I use one from time to time out of curiosity. While lifting isn't cardio, it can be fascinating to me to see how my heart rate can go from 60 to 160 squatting a few reps.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You want this Starting Strength book here: http://amzn.to/1fqpOgd
  • walkersallymae
    walkersallymae Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am working with a trainer at my local YMCA and we aren't doing heavy lifting. We are using a combination of resistance bands, kettle bells medicine balls. We also do a closer that is like tabata. In 4 weeks I lost 4 pounds and I am totaling reshaping People are starting to comment on how good I look. I lost 50 pounds last year and I did mostly cardio. Now I am doing the program above cross training, and some cardio. I work out 6 days each week. I want to build muscle to help with my weight maintenance.
    I do monitor my protein intake but I am not using supplements Anytime I've tried them I have gained weight.
  • walkersallymae
    walkersallymae Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would think HRM don't work with lifting. They monitor calories burned based on load on your heart. I use the digifit app and it has weightlifting as a choice for workouts. It provides calories burned percentage of fat versus carbs and it allows you to customize your HR zones. I upgraded for a few bucks and got the fitness assessments. I just completed one and it adjusted my HR zones based on my performance. Like everything else technology on HRMs has come a long way.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Information on the accuracy of HRM's with anything other than steady state cardio:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bumping for this great advice... :flowerforyou: Thanks!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Start reading some thing that resembles one of these

Strong lifts
    Starting strength
    New Rules of Lifting for women (or just NROL- doesn't matter)
    Strong Curves

Learning full compound moves- barbell training will be the way to go to progress with heavy lifting.

So this should be the process:
    1.) Do research- there are tons of articles/videos and exert advice out there.
    2.) Get a broom stick (or PVC pipe)
    3.) Practice these lifts ad nauseum
    4.) Get your book
    5.) Write yoru work out down
    6.) Get thee to the gym
    7.) Lift all the things.

Lather- rinse repeat.

This process never stops- I've been lfiting for years- these are the exact steps I do.

now- go forth- and be fabulous.

This
  • bcarroll138
    Options
    http://aworkoutroutine.com. It will answer just about all of your questions, no BS format, and suggest workouts based on your goals. Even if you don't choose any of the workouts, it's incredibly educational!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    As a beginner you will want to read the book Starting Strength. It teaches you everything you need to know about the mechanics behind lifting. After you've read it, and developed a good understanding of what it's telling you, you should either follow the program outlined in the book, or Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women (which are derivatives of it).
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bump... SO I can come up with an action plan and move forward with the great advice in the responses. Thanks for asking the question!
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    Start reading some thing that resembles one of these

Strong lifts
    Starting strength
    New Rules of Lifting for women (or just NROL- doesn't matter)
    Strong Curves

Learning full compound moves- barbell training will be the way to go to progress with heavy lifting.

So this should be the process:
    1.) Do research- there are tons of articles/videos and exert advice out there.
    2.) Get a broom stick (or PVC pipe)
    3.) Practice these lifts ad nauseum
    4.) Get your book
    5.) Write yoru work out down
    6.) Get thee to the gym
    7.) Lift all the things.

Lather- rinse repeat.

This process never stops- I've been lfiting for years- these are the exact steps I do.

now- go forth- and be fabulous.

All great advice for sure.

One other point -- make sure you calculate your new TDEE to include your strength training days. Use a calculator like Scoobycalc. Set your deficit to be pretty small -- 15%-20%. If you've been dieting for a long time very low cal (which 1400-1500 is at your weight -- your BMR should be slightly over 1500 making your TDEE much higher) then you may need to do a refeed in order to boost your metabolism. You can't gain muscle in a deficit unless you are brand new at lifting, and even then, gains will be small and will peter out, but it is still a good idea to lift to prevent muscle LOSS whilst eating in a deficit. But you still have to make sure you're eating enough, definitely more than what you are now.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I ended up at this site when I first started lifting: http://www.stumptuous.com/ It's an awesome site that was originally designed for women's lifting but has expanded to include men. It's funny, irreverent and has a ton of great tips on form etc.

Regarding hrm I use one from time to time out of curiosity. While lifting isn't cardio, it can be fascinating to me to see how my heart rate can go from 60 to 160 squatting a few reps.

Thanks, I have never heard of this site. I have done Jamie Eaton's program through bodybuilding.com but need to expand my horizons some more. I have also tried NROL
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Trainers can sometimes steer you wrong. So, be careful. Many trainers are complete idiots. So, just be warned. You may not get the training you want.

^^This. I had a trainer who refused to show me Oly lifts, which is what I requested her for, and I told them as much!!! I met a trainer yesterday, at the same gym, who was doing squats and deadlifts for her routine, and is more than happy to train me on the 2 this weekend! Ask the right questions, and don't get them involved in your future goals (get in shape, get strong, whatever). Just say, "I need to know how to do squats and deadlifts. Will you teach me those lifts?"

On the eating bit. You should check into this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

If you're wanting to cut (lose fat), then the commonly recommended target is TDEE minus 20%.

But, if you're wanting to bulk (gain muscle), the calorie requirements will obviously be different. (I'm not sure what they are, because I haven't researched that, yet.)

Hope this helps some.

Good luck!
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love The New Rules of Lifting series! They are easy to understand and work! I have used NROLfor Life and for Women. They both rock!
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Awesome awesome awesome!!! Thank you for all of this! That helps me out a lot! I actually was supposed to meet with the trainer today but she needed to cancel and reschedule for Wednesday. I will look into the Scooby website! I appreciate it :)
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Trainers can sometimes steer you wrong. So, be careful. Many trainers are complete idiots. So, just be warned. You may not get the training you want.

^^This. I had a trainer who refused to show me Oly lifts, which is what I requested her for, and I told them as much!!! I met a trainer yesterday, at the same gym, who was doing squats and deadlifts for her routine, and is more than happy to train me on the 2 this weekend! Ask the right questions, and don't get them involved in your future goals (get in shape, get strong, whatever). Just say, "I need to know how to do squats and deadlifts. Will you teach me those lifts?"

On the eating bit. You should check into this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

If you're wanting to cut (lose fat), then the commonly recommended target is TDEE minus 20%.

But, if you're wanting to bulk (gain muscle), the calorie requirements will obviously be different. (I'm not sure what they are, because I haven't researched that, yet.)

Hope this helps some.

Good luck!

THANK YOU!!!! Such great advice!!!!!
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NettyBird16
    NettyBird16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I broke down and hired a trainer almost a year ago. Probably one of the best things I have ever done! (Doesn't include all of the extra hours I have had to work to pay for it). But I am just now finally starting to see/feel/think the difference it is making. It has taken me a while to know that this is something that MUST be done regularly. I am also finally beginning to believe I might be able to do it myself without a trainer making me do it. Good Luck!
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump for later in-depth reading!