Lunch ideas

Options
MrsD1986
MrsD1986 Posts: 14 Member
I need good lunch ideas that are easy to make. Go!

Replies

• wayne12182
    Options
    4 ounces steamed salmon or chicken breast, seasoned liberally with No Salt/No Sugar: Lemon Pepper. Half a cup brown rice or quinoa and half a cup steamed veggies, or forgo the rice and have a cup of veggies (peas are good to replacethe carbs int he brown rice).

I make this every day, in my rice/food steamer. No foreman grill or anything.
  • gwen485
    gwen485 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Open faced hot turkey sandwich:

Deli turkey - 50-150 calories depending on brand/serving size...also a good source of protein.
    Slice of bread - 35-70 calories depending on brand
    Gravy - apx 30 calories

Pick a side (baked potato, veggies, etc.)
  • tigergem86
    tigergem86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Canned chicken or tuna, green onions, olives, artichokes, plain greek yogurt on a lettuce leaf or some kind of low cal bread/tortilla. You can even add some shredded cheese!
  • tgrey4
    tgrey4 Posts: 56
    Options
    My favorite meals to make for myself and my family (I cook for my parents and brother, lol) for lunch on the go:

*Roasted turkey/ham from the deli/tuna with quickly sliced bell peppers and cucumbers on pita or lavash bread (I skip the bread; paleo!!), plain Greek yogurt with some frozen berries and maybe some honey on top, maybe some baby carrots, too. For a little treat, maybe three Hershey's kisses.

*Canned tuna mixed with light mayonnaise, garlic powder, and part-skim ricotta with some baby spinach. This is so delicious and really easy and healthy enough that you can go big. If you want, throw some almonds in to your bag, too.

*Boiled eggs (makes them the night before), maybe 2 or 3 if you only eat the whites. Bring little packets of salt and pepper. Pair with some rice crackers and sliced cucumber and low-fat cheese slices, and you can make little sandwiches! I'd recommend some baby carrots too, for more vegetables.

*Canned black beans mixed with canned chicken, with some chile powder and taco seasoning mixed in. Slice up some bell peppers and you have an awesome meal.

BASICALLY, your staples are deli meats and canned proteins like beans and tuna and chicken, bagged salads like spinach and romaine, pita breads and pockets and sandwich thins and whole-grain crackers, and chopping up bigger vegetables like bell peppers and cucumbers and carrots. A lot of your problems can be solved by maybe cooking some rice or eggs the night before.

Good luck! A great lunch can make your workday or schoolday way better. :)
  • riginthering
    Options
    Bento is good, because you can make a lot of different stuff in advance and then throw it all together and go in the mornings. Also because I love bento. We have a lot of bento stuff, but the adults mostly use Mr. Bento, because...you know...adults. [link=http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SL-JAE14SA-Bento-Stainless-Silver/dp/B000246GSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391487089&sr=8-1&keywords=zojirushi+mr+bento+stainless]Mr. Bento on Amazon[/link]. He's spendy, but really awesome.

My husband's bento might look like this:
    Container 1: Brown rice. Scrambled egg. Furikake in small bottle (his family has blood pressure issues, but he *loves* pumpkin furikake, so he doesn't miss soy sauce).
    Container 2: Miso soup (this can be made low-sodium, and with lots of veggies if you know what you're doing. I'll post a recipe soon)
    Container 3: Turkey slices and baby spinach
    Container 4: Fruit and cheese.

The different compartments make you slow down, but also invite you to play with interesting combinations.
  • jazzcatastrophe
    jazzcatastrophe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of egg salad with tomatoes and a little mustard instead of mayo, I also like putting together a little container of cheese slices, baby carrots, crackers and hummus or canned tuna (or lunch meat) for really busy days
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    1) Simple tuna/chicken salad - tinned tuna or chicken slices, 1 teaspoon light mayo, spinach, roasted peppers, tomatoes, cucumer and pickled cucumber.
    Tuna salad = 116 calories
    Chicken salad = 82 calories

2) Add all of the ingredients from 1) into a seeded wrap = approx 330 calories

3) tuna and quinoa salad - 125g cooked quinoa, tinned tuna, 1 teaspoon light mayo, 1 teaspoon sun dried tomato paste, spinach, roasted peppers, and tomato = approx 370 calories
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I like making a wrap. Simple, easy, healthy, travels well, and it's very yummy. I usually make a big batch of poached chicken that I shred up. So I take a big spinach tortilla, add some shredded chicken, cheddar cheese (sometimes I'll warm it up before adding the rest of the ingredients, a few slices on avocado (with some lemon juice so it doesn't brown), fresh spinach, and red peppers. It's super filling and delicious.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Lunch is either leftovers (today, for instance, is last week's minestrone soup - just defrost and warm up in the microwave) or a protein and a bag of veggies or salad. I will generally either get some cooked chicken, ham, tinned tuna or mackerel and eat with mayonnaise (I keep a jar in the fridge at work) and broccoli or green beans.

I buy bags from a local supermarket which can be steamed in the microwave, but you can also cook the veg the night before if you can't cook them at work. (Note to the wise, though - steaming cauliflower at work makes you very unpopular with your colleagues...)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    mini meatloafs... the only reason I'd make them into little meatloafs instead of one big one is so they bake faster lol. I like to cook my food sunday night and then eat it all week for lunch.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    An idea I got from Trader Joe's was a lentil salad:

Their steamed lentils (I usually do about a cup; you can also steam/cook them on your own)
    1-2cups of baby spinach.
    2-4tbsp of Bruschetta topping (for the dressing)
    1 oz of feta.

Add all ingredients to a tupperware container, close and shake! Viola!
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    An idea I got from Trader Joe's was a lentil salad:

Their steamed lentils (I usually do about a cup; you can also steam/cook them on your own)
    1-2cups of baby spinach.
    2-4tbsp of Bruschetta topping (for the dressing)
    1 oz of feta.

Add all ingredients to a tupperware container, close and shake! Viola!

Wow. That sounds delicious! I'll have to try that one! (Bruschetta topping is, basically, chopped tomatoes and basil, yes?)