Looking for friends who have had gastric bypass

Options
I have been on MFP for awhile now and have lost 90 pounds now I am getting ready to Gastric Bypass surgery in the next month. I would love to find some friends who have had the surgery and can give motivation and support. Any helpful suggestions to prepare for surgery or for after are appreciated good protein drinks, vitamins, ect. I have been to support groups but with the cold and snow all winter each month there has only been about 5 people and not all of them had the gastric bypass some had the sleeve or band surgery so not allot of answers but my dr and his team are wonderful and very helpful. So like I said looking to find people who have had the surgery and want new friends so we can motivate and support each other along the way.

Replies

• northernbella
    Options
    Hi everybody! I'm Roma.
    I actually just got approved for the gastric sleeve through my insurance. Thus far, I went to the initial orientation to meet the surgeon, nutritionist/dietitian and another physician. Today, I had my cardiology appointment where I got the EKG done. My sleep study appointment is on the 12th and my psychiatric appointment is on the 24th (still calling every day to find an earlier appointment). I started my pre-op diet on the 2nd of February (yesterday) which I only obtain fluids-- light yogurt---nutrigrain and fiberone bar --- which by the way kept me full. Today however, I ate two turkey burgers because I missed my morning homemade protein shake and bought a muscle milk (nasty) due to the cardiology appointment...so at five pm, although I had the muscle milk, it didn't curve my hunger like my homemade protein shake--so since my husband was cooking, I forced him to make me two turkey burgers. Now I am paying it off because my stomach feels weird.

Anyway, its better to make these mistakes early, rather than make the mistake during my two week restriction, and being denied of the surgery after all of the hard work...right?

So it looks as though I may get the surgery mid March, I'm looking at using my PTO up at my job and then quitting my job because it is very stressful and I don't need the unnecessary stress.

My husband is worried about the excess skin (flab). Working out hasn't been one of my stronger area's although we have a home gym (his gym)... My cousin sell these wraps, and I just wanted to know has these wraps worked for anyone who have excess skin from bariatric surgery?

OH YEAH! Please add me as a friend!!! My food diary is OPEN!
  • kytten10
    Options
    Hi my name is Donna I had gastric bypass on 1/8/13. so far I have lost 34 pounds. but right now I am at a stand still haven't lost anything in over a week.
  • johndelaney2014
    johndelaney2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, John here. 3 weeks post Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass, Down to 326 from 371, long way to go. I use MFP religiously, average 80 gm protein & 800-900 calories daily, plus vitamins. Gradually increasing stretching, band/resistance exercise & walking. Am I eating too little since I am losing ober a pound a day?