Porridge help.

Options
So I'm trying to find healthier, more nutritious breakfasts that keep me going so I would like to have a go at porridge with cinnamon and raisins. My problem is all the instant porridge, where you just add water/milk, available in my local supermarket are very high in sugar. Does anyone know of any organic, no added salt or sugar porridge oats I can make quickly at work?

I must add - I live in the UK so must be available to buy here!

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Is there somewhere that you can just buy regular oats in bulk without any flavorings? That way you could add your own. That's what I do. Usually a teaspoon of Nutella (yum). Do you guys have online places you can buy in bulk? You can usually get good organic oats online nowadays and it's usually cheaper.
  • HilsScott
    Options
    I'm in the UK and would like a low sugar porridge so I've just been looking online and found Nairn's Gluten Free Instant Porridge Oats (via Ocado). I haven't seen it in the shops but have to admit I haven't looked that hard. Would be interested to know if anyone finds any stocked in a national supermarket. If I find any - I'll add another reply.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK, I used skimmed milk. I think it's only 70 calories per 180mls, which isn't too bad.

I use the Quaker Oats honey and almond sachets. Between that and the milk, it's 210 calories. I usually add some manadarin segments, which bumps it up 41 calories.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You could also try using almond milk, I think that is considerably lower in calories than milk.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    So I'm trying to find healthier, more nutritious breakfasts that keep me going so I would like to have a go at porridge with cinnamon and raisins. My problem is all the instant porridge, where you just add water/milk, available in my local supermarket are very high in sugar. Does anyone know of any organic, no added salt or sugar porridge oats I can make quickly at work?

I must add - I live in the UK so must be available to buy here!

You're better off just buying the bags of dry oats - all that instant stuff has loads of hidden nasties.

It's obviously harder to prepare but you could try having it in a shake for convenience. I have a few tablespoons (dry) in cottage cheese with either berries or Nutella which only takes a couple of mins and gives me some extra protein :)

ETA: I just buy the cheapest in the shop e.g tesco value or whatever as I haven't noticed any taste difference between these and the big brands.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just by normal porridge oats such as Scott's or Quaker that are available in all supermarkets just avoid the instant ones as they have the consistency of cat puke any way. It's no harder to cook just takes a wee bit longer
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats? They're delicious and you can add milk or yogurt and anything you want.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I also buy the regular porridge oats and they work fine in the microwave. They're way cheaper than the sachets as well.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and would like a low sugar porridge so I've just been looking online and found Nairn's Gluten Free Instant Porridge Oats (via Ocado). I haven't seen it in the shops but have to admit I haven't looked that hard. Would be interested to know if anyone finds any stocked in a national supermarket. If I find any - I'll add another reply.

Have you tried Holland and Barrett?

Honestly though, if you want to skip the sugar then pre-made packs aren't for you. Just buy a big bag of plain porridge oats and then add your own milk/whatever plus toppings- that way you can control your sugar intake.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just buy regular porridge oats, I make it up at home in a tupperware box with a clip down lid at home so everything is measured out I use Soya Milk and chop a banana into it as if you cook the banana in it doesn't need added sweetener - I am actually cutting out everything but natural sugars (well trying to) at the moment. Takes 3 minutes in the Microwave.
  • tosullivan
    tosullivan Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I live in Ireland and we have a producer called Flahavans that has been making porridge since I can remember.
    I use their Microwaveable Quick Oats with some locally produced honey every day and it has only 0.3g sugar per serving
    http://www.flahavans.ie/index.php/site-structure/main-menu/our-products/porridge-oats/convenience/flahavans-quick-oats-drum-500g/385

They have so many variants of their porridge oats that I'm sure they export
    http://www.flahavans.ie/our-products/porridge-oats/315

Here's a list of places to try
    http://www.flahavans.ie/where-to-buy

US: Whole Foods Market (only Pacific Northwest, South Pacific, Northern Cal, Southern Cal), Garden of Eden, Keil's Market, Fresh Market, Safeway, Mollie Stones, Lunardis, Nugget, Bristol Farms, Metropolitan-Markets, Rays C&K, Draeggers, Gelsons, Giant Eagle, HEB, Jensens, Roths, United, HEB Central Market, Rosauers, Rays C&K, Yokes, Super 1, Trading Co.,Cubs, Jewel, Sendiks, Treasure Island, Heinen's, Meijer, Shaws, Rice Epicurean, Atkins Chamberlin, Caputos
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I buy Jordans, which you can get at Tesco, and cook with half milk and half water. I've also gotten organic porridge oats at Holland and Barrett, and those were nice. I put a ton of cinnamon in, along with either a few golden raisins (15 g) or a touch of maple syrup.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Normal steel cut oats from the supermarket

I like added to the below to my porridge

1) Crunchy nut PB
    2) Nuts
    3) Chopped fruit
    4) Sprinkled cinnamon
    5) Small bit of jam

I just bowl the kettle and use hot water... But almond milk is yummy!!!
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for plain porridge oats - the 'instant' stuff tastes horribly sweet to me now! Aldi does a kilo of porridge oats for 75p. As other have suggested, prepare the night before and keep in the fridge, then just microwave at work. My favourite is banana, cinnamon and raisin.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The instant stuff is gross and only suitable for those without teeth IMHO....

Sainsburys SO Organic Porridge Oats (100% organic Scottish oats) is my favourite.
    Only takes 3.5 mins in the microwave and you can add what you like to it.

Apart from milk I add a slurp of evaporated milk and a teaspoon of the Devil's own sugar as I like to live on the wild side...
    :devil:
  • Zannukene
    Zannukene Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I love having porridge for breakfast but I'm too lazy to make anything in the mornings before work.
    My solution:
    I buy regular porridge oats, you can get them from any larger store
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=259458142
    Then I pour around 500 g (can't fit more) into my food processor, add salt (about 2 heap teaspoons to 500g of oats, I HATE bland porridge) and process it, till it looks as fine as the instant porridge you buy from the store (takes some trial and error). I take the processed oats with me to work and when it is time for breakfast, I just pour boiling water over 4 table spoons of them (again the amount of water is trial and error, because everybody preferences are different), mix through, put a plate over the cup/bowl and let it sit for about 3-5 min. That's it, quick and easy, in my opinion. :)
    I usually have mine with some jam (the reason i don't add sugar, while making the mix), but you can put in anything (nuts raisins, dried apples, add a bit of butter, how ever you like your porridge). Just dried ingredients should be added before the water.
    I hope this helped.
  • CorkGirl76
    CorkGirl76 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I live in Ireland and we have a producer called Flahavans that has been making porridge since I can remember.
    I use their Microwaveable Quick Oats with some locally produced honey every day and it has only 0.3g sugar per serving
    http://www.flahavans.ie/index.php/site-structure/main-menu/our-products/porridge-oats/convenience/flahavans-quick-oats-drum-500g/385

They have so many variants of their porridge oats that I'm sure they export
    http://www.flahavans.ie/our-products/porridge-oats/315

Here's a list of places to try
    http://www.flahavans.ie/where-to-buy

US: Whole Foods Market (only Pacific Northwest, South Pacific, Northern Cal, Southern Cal), Garden of Eden, Keil's Market, Fresh Market, Safeway, Mollie Stones, Lunardis, Nugget, Bristol Farms, Metropolitan-Markets, Rays C&K, Draeggers, Gelsons, Giant Eagle, HEB, Jensens, Roths, United, HEB Central Market, Rosauers, Rays C&K, Yokes, Super 1, Trading Co.,Cubs, Jewel, Sendiks, Treasure Island, Heinen's, Meijer, Shaws, Rice Epicurean, Atkins Chamberlin, Caputos

I use Flahavans as well. I soak 60g the night before in my bowl with water only (I hate milk) and then add a spoon of strawberry jam after microwaving it in the morning.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I also use Flahavans whole oats.

Quick tip... toast them before you cook with them. Doesn't take long, but they taste so much better. Either toast them dry, or in a tiny bit of butter.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Personally I just buy Quaker's "Oats so simple original" from Sainsburys and make it with water. I then add fresh blackberries, apple pieces (granny smith or pink lady), and a big dash of cinnamon. That makes a big filling bowlful and gets me in at under 200cals.
  • LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Plain porridge oats, skimmed milk powder and whatever flavourings you like. Just add boiling water and leave for five minutes.