Porridge help.

Options

Replies

• c78gregory
    c78gregory Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Special k have just launched a new multi grain instant porridge range that's quite low in sugar.
  • pinkxpanda
    pinkxpanda Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just buy some normal oats and make up a batch, put it in some tuppaware boxes and take a box with you everyday to sling in the microwave. There are some delicious recipes you can put in the slow cooker.

As long as you keep it refrigerated i don't see why you can't keep a batch made up for a few days?
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Regular porridge oats.

We buy the Sainsburys Taste the Difference oats - as they are nice and 'chunky'.

However you can buy Quakers or Scott's. Whatever.

Add a bit of water and microwave for 2 mins, stirring once in the middle. Then add your fruit.

The sachets are not what I term real porridge - they are all sugary, and they waste your money.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I actually find that just normal bulk oats (without the shells or whatever) microwave just fine. They probably need a little longer than those bought to be instant (though I don't know - it's been ages since I've had instant porridge), but still pretty quick - maybe like 2minuts! Then I just use sweetner and cinnamon, and it's very delicious, and low cal :)
  • Shivpea
    Shivpea Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I always get the Flahavans Porridge, Its Irish but I believe its available in the UK. I always 40g with milk, heat it in the microwave for about 90 seconds and then add honey... yum yum!!!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Yep, regular porridge oats all the way! Either microwaved from scratch, which may take a bit longer than the 'instant' type, or make up a big batch at the weekend and bring it in ready made, only need to heat it up.
  • charlisobel
    charlisobel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just buy regular porridge oats, all supermarkets have an 'own brand' version. MUCH nicer than instant and you control exactly what's in it.
  • daviddowns1968
    daviddowns1968 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pop to Sainsbury's and get their basics 1Kg rolled porridge oats. No salt, no added flavours, fats or any rubbish. Add 30g to 200ml skimmed milk and slowly boil. The porridge comes to less than 200 cals.

I add a teaspoon of cinnamon, a slurp of honey and a sliced banana, so it has plenty of carb and protein and little fat, and plenty of fibre. Takes same amount of time as making these ready mixed porridges and quaker etc, and at a much cheaper price.

PS.. do not microwave.. it cooks the oats direct rather than letting them break down in the milk. Better to actually boil them on a stove for a few minutes. Cleaning tip... soak the pan in a little washing liquid, and the mess will just float away, so no scrubbing required.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    I stopped using instant because you can often get more oatmeal for less calories if you just get plain (because instant pretty much always has added sugar and crap) and then you have more calories for toppings like fruit, sweetener, nuts etc :)

I've used tesco value and quaker (100%wholegrain rolled oats, not instant) and I didn't notice a difference between the two, it takes a few minutes longer to prepare but I find it's worth it
    almond milk is also awesome with it.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I make up little tubs with 35g (about 3.5 dessertspoons) plain porridge oats, cinnamon, vanilla essence and 1 tsp honey. When I want one, I just pour on hot water to cover, stir well, leave for a minute, add more hot water if necessary then eat it! No fuss, no slower than those sachets, easy to prepare at work if needed (you dont need a microwave) and very very yummy!!
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - definitely going to try standard porridge oats and take the ingredients with me to work.

Do I need to soak the oats in water overnight before eating? Or can I just add water/milk and cook straight away?
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oats most mornings that I have made previously and frozen into individual servings. Out of the freezer they take about 2 minutes to warm up ... if you took them to work, they would be mostly thawed and just take a little time to heat up. I add just a touch of pure maple syrup. Holds me over til lunch.

See organizeyourselfskinny.com for her "Clean Steel Cut Oats" recipes. I'm sure they could be adapted to whatever oats you have available in the UK.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    PS.. do not microwave.. it cooks the oats direct rather than letting them break down in the milk. Better to actually boil them on a stove for a few minutes. Cleaning tip... soak the pan in a little washing liquid, and the mess will just float away, so no scrubbing required.

Tricky for me as I eat my porridge and fruit around mid-morning at work and only have access to a microwave. I'm going to buy a big packet of cheap oats and then fill some little bags with 30g servings in future.
  • minnie116
    minnie116 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Quaker 100% wholegrain oats, skimmed milk and a few blueberries...job done.
  • lamps1303
    Options

Thanks - unfortunately I don't have the option to boil the oats as I will be cooking it at work and there is only a microwave. However, will perhaps boil if I ever had porridge at home :smile:
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Cook a batch at home and freeze. By the time you get it to work it will have thawed enough to micro. It'll still taste really good.

I freeze mine flat in zip-lock bags, but people also do ice cube trays. I like mine flat because, if it isn't thawed, I can just run it under the hot tap for a few seconds and it'll thaw in a jiffy.
  • Tanteee
    Tanteee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree with every one who has said use the porridge oats from scratch - just add whatever fruit/nuts you want water bit of milk and in the microwave for about 2 and a half minutes. I don't really like using a microwave (we don't have one at home) but it is useful for my breakfast at work.

You could also try "Overnight Oats" put all your ingrdients into a container the night before and put it in the fridge, and take it to work in the morning, slightly different consistency to cooked oats but quite nice,
  • lamps1303
    Options
    So, I took all of your advice and bought myself some porridge oats! I decided to go for Flahavans Porridge, at the recommendation of many of you, and added cinnamon and raisins. It was pretty good, but tasted a little bland. Is there a healthy way of adding more flavour to the oats?

Also, the texture was quite 'gloopy' - is it just a case of adding more water to rectify?
  • PollyVB
    PollyVB Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We have pure Veda that we buy at our local organic store
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Quaker Oat so Simple is what I use - to cut back on sugar just use the original flavour sachets and add cinnamon/raisins/sweeteners afterwards or before putting it in the microwave.

I like to try the different flavours as well though :smile: