Diet Coke?

Options
My last attempt to lose weight was awesome because I had noticed all these people having troubles cutting sodas...and i was never big on it...until now. a couple months passed I went through a very rough time gaining back 50 of my 60 pounds...so now i am back...WITH a soda problem. Now I know there are a lot of risk factors with diet coke...I have read some horror stories...so I am slowly trying to get off of it i went from drinking up to 3 glasses a day everyday... to only one glass 3 times a week. I guess my main question is Diet coke really that bad....I know large amounts of it is but I am hoping to get down to 1 glass a week. Does it make you retain water? Gain weight? Will one glass a week really cause me harm?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I guess my main question is Diet coke really that bad....

No.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of diet soda when I "cut". Never had a single health problem cause of it. Don't know anyone who has had a problem with it.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think it's that bad. I think that the biggest issue is that the artificial sweetener might make you hungry, causing you to eat more.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    I have mentioned on many such threads - I drink around 3 or 4 glasses of diet coke a week.

It has not hindered my weight loss in any way or had any other detrimental effects.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I pretty much never touch diet cokes and such anymore. But when I was dieting I would drink it with my lunch and dinner. It's was fine.
  • devitodk
    Options
    I drink around 1litre a day.. It keeps me from candy..

I don´t have any health issues
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Will one glass a week really cause me harm?

No
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    no. not bad in moderation. tests in lab rats have shown that ingesting literal boat loads of the aspartame MAY cause cancer or some something or other. in any case, i can't stand the taste of diet coke, so i stay away as best i can (darn fast food chains not having coke zero or diet pepsi). oh, but i do go on kicks where i'll swill coke zero. i'm not sick.

it was the high fat diet that did me in. i'm minus one gall bladder and plus one determination to get to a healthy weight and eat a bit more healthy than before i'd done all that damage.
  • dxc92
    dxc92 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It won't cause you harm as such - just not the healthiest option really!!

All I used to drink was fizzy juice for years (through childhood as well). Now all I drink is water. Or water with diluted juice - I have been doing this now for a good few years before I thought of losing weight. I never found it hard coming off of fizzy juice, I think it just sorta happened.

I feel much better drinking water - you dont get that horrible bloaty feeling that you get with fizzy juice.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I drank 5-6 cans a day of diet coke during weight loss and I drink 4-5 cans a day now that I'm in maintenance. I haven't keeled over yet :tongue:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I guess my main question is Diet coke really that bad...

Taste wise? Yes, it is truly awful.

Otherwise, crack on. There is a theory that drinking diet drinks can prompt cravings and general over consumption as your body still experiences "sweetness" which activates reward centers in the brain but that's a bit shaky.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Now I know there are a lot of risk factors with diet coke.

No, there aren't.
    I guess my main question is Diet coke really that bad?

Not unless you happen to be sensitive to artificial sweeteners or Diet coke is a trigger to overeating for you.
    Does it make you retain water?

No.
    Gain weight?

No.
    Will one glass a week really cause me harm?

No.
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've never treated anyone for diet coke toxicity.
  • leew88
    leew88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    tastes horrible though, if one glass every now and then is all you are going to have, you may aswell treat yourself to a proper glass of coke
  • christopherphillips1983
    Options
    Aspartame isn't exactly GOOD for you, but you'd have to be basically living on nothing but Diet Coke to ingest the amounts necessary to cause any serious harm. You could probably drink it daily and not suffer any real consequences. Unless you consider the taste of Diet Coke itself to be a consequence, naturally. I can't stand the stuff.
  • bbubb1
    bbubb1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Mountain Dew!!!! I even drink it when I'm not dieting!!!! I try to cut back to just drinking it when I'm at work!!!! Since I work Third shift it helps to keep me awake while I'm working!!!! I'm still up in the air about whether it is bad for you or not!!!! I feel it is not bad for you!!!! Better then full sugar soda!!!!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    tastes horrible though, if one glass every now and then is all you are going to have, you may aswell treat yourself to a proper glass of coke

~responding simply because I see said a lot~

Not everyone drinks diet coke as a no-cal substitute for regular Coke. I've always found regular Coke sickly sweet, took to Diet Coke when it came out because I preferred the taste to all the other sodas out there.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty amazing experience after removing aspartame (and all other artificial sweeteners) from my diet. This might be attributed to the fact that I really drank a LOT of diet coke for a pretty long time, way more than any one person probably should. But giving it up was the best thing that I did for my health. So do I think it's healthy? No, I do not believe it is healthy for ME, but others might not react to it the same way.

Even when I was drinking a boat load of diet soda's it never made a difference on my weight loss or appetite. It was the health issues I was most concerned with.
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    Is Diet Coke bad for you?

It depends. I find that if I drink diet soda with caffeine, the caffeine messes up my sleep cycle (yes I am a special snowflake who can't handle caffeine) and I tend to snack more, maybe it's a psychological thing, maybe it's the artificial sweetener, who knows? But there are people who can handle a tolerable amount of diet soda in their diets. Unless you drink enough so you're getting a huge load of sodium (which will mask weight loss), you're probably fine.

If you're really worried, try weaning yourself down to one a day or none and see how you feel. Reintroduce the soda to see if it has any effect on you. I only noticed that caffeine was messing with my sleep cycle when I gave it up when I was pregnant (including chocolate) and I realized I was sleeping so much better.

As with nearly everything, the dose makes the poison. You may read about people getting sick from diet soda, but then the article goes on to say that "so and so from XXX' was drinking 4 liters of soda a day. Yeah, that's not good.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I think it can affect people differently. I can drink a diet soda, and it curbs my cravings for sweet things. On the other hand, if I'm eating salty or fried foods, suddenly I "need" a diet coke.