Good Vanilla Flavored Protein Powder?

Options
I am looking into getting a really nice tasting, good quality vanilla protein powder. I'm using the mfp default 20% protein macro and I have read to consider it a min, not a max. I am however, having a hard time reaching that some days. I really want to incorporate protein powder and I absolutely love vanilla flavored anything. However, the one I tried was very chalky tasting. The vanilla flavor was also very faint.

I would love suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• SmokeAndMirrors83
    Options
    Yorria - Are you looking for something that's good as a meal supplement, replacement, both, or doesn't matter? Are you planning on taking before/after workouts to assist with recovery? That could help decide what kind of protein powder you go with - whey, casein, etc.

As a diet supplement, I occasionally use a soy protein powder from Trader Joe's (don't know if you're familiar with the chain). It supposedly has very little extra crap in it (many powders have a lot of filler). It's unflavored, but thus also doesn't have any sugar. If I'm in the mood for vanilla, I'll take it with a couple of hits of a French Vanilla sugar-free (not great, I know) coffee syrup from Target - either their Market Pantry or Archer Farms, I'm not sure. Starbucks also makes this syrup, but its more expensive.

I've used Muscle Milk Naturals in the past, which I was okay with. My needs are different now, though. Hope this helps.
  • MollMoll821
    MollMoll821 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I really like Sunwarrior Warrior blend. It comes in Choc and Vanilla.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yorria - Are you looking for something that's good as a meal supplement, replacement, both, or doesn't matter? Are you planning on taking before/after workouts to assist with recovery? That could help decide what kind of protein powder you go with - whey, casein, etc.

To be honest I am kinda looking at including it in a lot of my meals. For instance, I love green smoothies and I have one everyday (different times), I want to put protein powder into it. I also make banana pancakes a lot and they come out a lot nicer with protein powder to thicken up the banana/egg mix.

I do not consider green smoothies a meal replacement. Don't get me wrong they run about 200 calories with protein powder involved but I still have breakfast/lunch/dinner. Green smoothies are mostly my primary snack for the day.

However, I do not like the protein powder I was given. It was pure protein brand - whey protein. However, it had more to do with the taste than anything. Very little vanilla flavor. I won't lie it was given to me, and it is a month expired so I don't know how much that affects the flavor/potency of the powder.

After workouts at the gym I typically have an actual meal which includes some sort of lean protein. So I am not really concerned with an after workout shake.

This is something a purely want to mix into some of the foods I currently already eat to up my protein count for the day.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am looking into getting a really nice tasting, good quality vanilla protein powder. I'm using the mfp default 20% protein macro and I have read to consider it a min, not a max. I am however, having a hard time reaching that some days. I really want to incorporate protein powder and I absolutely love vanilla flavored anything. However, the one I tried was very chalky tasting. The vanilla flavor was also very faint.

I would love suggestions. Thank you in advance.

I've had RNY surgery and have the increased protein requirements with it. For the first few weeks I had nothing but protein shakes. After that I had them at least twice a day about a year. I've tried brand, after brand, after brand of them. They all ranged from tasting like dirt, to being...okay. Until I tried the protein from SEI pharmaceuticals. It's called MAX Protein. Low sugar, fairly high in protein. I love it in chocolate and vanilla. I've used it in shakes, baking and casseroles and other recipes. I can even make pancakes with it! The only downside is that it tends to be a bit more expensive, and is available online only. I can't find it in any store around the northern VA area.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Vitamin store brand whey protein isolate in vanilla. Good taste no carbs 30 grams of protein in one scoop
  • SmokeAndMirrors83
    Options
    I'd probably guide you more to a casein, soy, or vegetable based protein than whey for your needs.
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ISOPURE, OPTIMUM NUTRITION, CELLUCOR are the brands I personally use and they taste great, ISOPURE to me is the best on the market but pricey. I usually go with OPTIMUM NUTRITION which has better price/volume.
    They also mix GREAT with anything, I've done pancakes, muffins, crapes, shakes, cookies, granola bars. If you have a vitamin shoppee near you stop in for single serving packet and you can try multiple flavors.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Avoid Optimum Nutrition protein.

It's VERY watery and has no flavor. Now, if you want a TRUE milkshake like protein that has good flavor go with Myofusion Elite. The peanut butter cookie dough is GODLY.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    BSN lean dessert protein whipped vanilla cream. I blend it with frozen berries, spinach and avocado for a breakfast smoothie. Tastes better than any milkshake I've ever had. I really don't like protein powders, but this one is great!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, Vanilla Ice Cream flavor.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Avoid Optimum Nutrition protein.

It's VERY watery and has no flavor. Now, if you want a TRUE milkshake like protein that has good flavor go with Myofusion Elite. The peanut butter cookie dough is GODLY.

Never heard of this one. Stats look good on it. I'll give it a try, thanks!
  • naomisnook
    naomisnook Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Vanilla Whey Protein powder from Trader Joe's is also awesome -- I add it to my post-workout smoothies every time now.
  • fattymcbuttrpants
    fattymcbuttrpants Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love Vega. It's a plant based protein you can find at Sprouts or online. Fitmiss has a really good protein as well!
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Promasil Soft serve vanilla from GNC. Probably the best kind i've ever used.
  • lisahulsizer
    lisahulsizer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    I LOVE Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, Vanilla Ice Cream flavor.

+1 for this! avoid waterness by using unsweetened almond milk.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    BSN lean dessert protein whipped vanilla cream.

THIS!!! It's the best one I've tried. I buy it on Amazon.com for like $19 (+ $5 shipping).
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Personally, I hate almost all of them. 2 that are bearable: Wegmans Brand (sorry if you don't have a Wegmans where you are) Vanilla Whey (18g protein) and although it's not a protein powder, the Vanilla Shakeology from BeachBody is pretty good as a meal replacement or depending on the workout, a tastier replacement to a whey shake...has 16g protein. The GNC Wheybolic Extreme is really popular to most people I know...I find it horrible, but decent if used when mixing stuff with it, like fruit or veggies.
  • fitfan11
    fitfan11 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    CytoSport Muscle Milk. Love it
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Vanilla ice Cream! Soooo good, especially when mixed with milk!