Weight loss has stopped

Options
I've been dieting now for a month and have lost 11 pounds which I'm over the moon with, but I've noticed it has just stopped. I have fruit for breakfast, slim fast shake or weight watchers meal for lunch and then a healthy dinner but my weight is the same as last week and my weight won't budge.

Am I doing something wrong? I exercise twice a week, do I need to increase my exercise?

Replies

• daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    11 lbs in a month is amazing. But your body is probably adjusting to that. It is a shock to the system. You won't keep losing weight rapidly. It will slow, stall, and piss you off at times. I am guessing you need to eat a little more. Are you doing strength training at the gym, or just cardio? If its just cardio, add some strength. Drink water, Lots of water. This coming from a fat guy.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks you lose, some you stay the same, some you gain. You won't lose weight every week. Chances are you'll have lost again next week.
  • JessBarnes1991
    JessBarnes1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice it is rather frustrating right now, I'm doing the Davina workout which is an aerobic kickboxing workout Jess
  • LuvonLuv
    Options
    In 2012 when I was on weight loss program, I lost 18lbs in the very first month, then it lessened to avg. 9lbs per month. That always happens...you lose alot in the initial phase, then it lessens. No worries...:wink:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Give it time...
    Your body is going through a readjustment period....
    11 pounds in 1 month is pretty huge....That is almost 3 pounds a week.

Now some if it (prolly ~5 lbs) could be water weight.....
    So be aware of that.

Stay on point with a solid diet, and continue to exercise.

See where you are in another month......that will put you around the 8 week mark.
    Maybe take about 2 - 3 days where you eat at maintenance.....then go back to your diet again.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I wonder if maybe you're not eating enough? Just fruit for breakfast isn't giving your body any protein, which is important, especially since it sounds like you're being pretty active, too.

You might also try to start doing some strength training. If you don't belong to a gym, you can do some basic moves using small hand weights or sometimes just your body weight. Strength training will help you build muscle and will also help your metabolism.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    1 month, 11 lbs, and it stopped?? Do you expect to lose 3+ lbs a week , or 1lb a day..???

Realistic goals people....
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting now for a month and have lost 11 pounds which I'm over the moon with, but I've noticed it has just stopped. I have fruit for breakfast, slim fast shake or weight watchers meal for lunch and then a healthy dinner but my weight is the same as last week and my weight won't budge.

Am I doing something wrong? I exercise twice a week, do I need to increase my exercise?

Everything has been said already, but 11 pounds is amazing. I would definitely say that exercising 4 to 5 times a week at 45-60 minutes per day is better than just 2 days, even if those days were 2 hour sessions.
  • hajir7
    hajir7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You are doing great, 11 lb in the first month is good, but I think you need to eat a little more, as I learned from MFP and my own experience when you eat very little your body get use to burn lesser amount of calories and that will make it hard to lose weight, they will give you this message on your food diary.
    Good Luck
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    All I can think of seeing your diet is that unless you have a 900 calories dinner, you got to eat more.
  • huntergreene71
    huntergreene71 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Over my loss, I find that you can kickstart plateaus by doing things like drastically increasing water intake as you probably aren't getting 8 cups a day anyway. Also, oddly enough, reducing the amount of cardio in a week by a couple hours. I stalled walking 4.5 to 5 miles a day and started again by reducing that to 1.5 miles one day then 4.5 the next. Since you only exercise twice a week, amp it up a little. Is it cardio or weights? Try to keep a balanced amount of both.