meal replacement milkshakes

Options
Recently I bought some of those shakes that are meant to replace a meal whilst providing you with a good proportion of your daily nutrient intake. The ones I bought from my local supermarket are called Deliplus and contain 209 kc a serving. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on these - are they worth the money - it would cost me over 30€ a month to have one every day?
According to MFP, my own recipe butternut squash soup contains only 156 kc per portion, and given the well known health benefits of squashes and pumpkins, am I not better off just having some home made soup of some description (carrot and coriander soup only about 120 kc although is from the database and not to my recipe or portion size - so an estimate) or, for example, banana smoothie 203 kc but much cheaper than a milkshake?
If I had a variety of these low calorie foods during the week, wouldn't that work out more or less the same, or do these shakes have some other benefit which I'm not aware of? They were recommended to me, but I'm not totally convinced - opinions gratefully received.

Replies

• neenorROAR
    Options
    Personally I'd give them a miss. I'm not an expert or anything, but I just really think that fresh food is better, and that you ought to enjoy your meals. Soup sounds infinitely better than a shake. Still, that's just my opinion. Best of luck! (:
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Whole foods are better for your body, I think. Not to mention, probably cheaper.

I think the whole "low calorie meal replacement" stuff is a load of crap. Eat WHATEVER YOU WANT as long as you stay under your calories for the day.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    its just an alternative for those with an all or nothing mindset. If you can calorie control your portion sizes you don't need them.
  • HanaNikki
    Options
    I once tried shakes like that as dinner replacement. However, I didn't lose weight faster than before and after a few days they started to taste boring and nasty.
    So I think it's better to eat fresh, natural food. If you eat fresh veggies or soup you'll probably get around the same amount of calories and you can switch it up.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Recently I bought some of those shakes that are meant to replace a meal whilst providing you with a good proportion of your daily nutrient intake. The ones I bought from my local supermarket are called Deliplus and contain 209 kc a serving. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on these - are they worth the money - it would cost me over 30€ a month to have one every day?
    According to MFP, my own recipe butternut squash soup contains only 156 kc per portion, and given the well known health benefits of squashes and pumpkins, am I not better off just having some home made soup of some description (carrot and coriander soup only about 120 kc although is from the database and not to my recipe or portion size - so an estimate) or, for example, banana smoothie 203 kc but much cheaper than a milkshake?
    If I had a variety of these low calorie foods during the week, wouldn't that work out more or less the same, or do these shakes have some other benefit which I'm not aware of? They were recommended to me, but I'm not totally convinced - opinions gratefully received.

You have it all figured out: don't bother with the shakes.
    Getting your nutrition from yummy foods is a better course of action; it's tastier, gives you more variety, is more satisfying and saves money.
    Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, i have found whole foods to be a lot more filling. Shakes fill me up for 30 minutes or less. So my diet adherence is much greater when I eat my calories as opposed to drinking them. Drinking shakes is good if you are on the go but whether you drink 200 calories or eat 200 calories, it provides the same weight loss results. If you are drinking calories, at least make them high in protein.
  • karenh
    karenh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Personally, i have found whole foods to be a lot more filling. Shakes fill me up for 30 minutes or less. So my diet adherence is much greater when I eat my calories as opposed to drinking them. Drinking shakes is good if you are on the go but whether you drink 200 calories or eat 200 calories, it provides the same weight loss results. If you are drinking calories, at least make them high in protein.

I agree. I use a meal replacement shake when I'm very busy and need something fast for breakfast or lunch (never dinner as it doesn't make me feel like I've eaten well). I use Shakeology or an occasional Atkins drink. It's better than blowing your meal plan for the day because you were starving and short on time. Keeps you on track in a pinch but I can't see it working for every day to stay on plan. You need to have real food and learn how and what to eat to get to your healthy goals and maintain.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I like to do meal replacement shake for lunch for the purpose of not going over calories so I can have whatever I want for dinner and not feel like I binged all day
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I drink the GNC Lean 25 shakes at lunch more for convenience than anything, but I find that a shake with 170 calories with 25g of protein and 3g fiber to be more filling than a calorically equal amount of soup - which is typically higher in carbohydrates and lower in protein.
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am not a nutritionist I just play one on TV - HAHA. But seriously, a high quality (keywords here - high quality = clean) protein shake containing at least 24 g of protein is not a compromise, it is the more nutritious choice you can make. Choose a shake with a complete protein - undenatured whey (cold filtered process) is the best due to its complete amino acid profile. It also has a higher biological value (BV) than an egg. A whole raw egg has a BV of 100 and whey protein concentrate is at 159. Not whey protein isolate as that process breaks down the structure of the protein. Also make sure its a complete meal replacement (at least 240 calories) with healthy fat and carbohydrates. Your body requires all those things. And to make sure you are satisfied, choose one high in fiber, at least 5 grams. No artificial anything. Stay away from soy (BV of 74) it contains phytoestrogens which are not good for your endocrine system. Also soy is highly GMO.
  • sarahd2002
    Options
    I use high protien shakes or a protien bar for breakfast almost every day(at least 20g of protien in them). Or I have a bowl of oatmeal. To each his own. I like the protien bar/shake because they usually they stay with me about 4 hours so I don't get hungry in between meals and it is easier for me to not snack.

That being said everyone has to do what works for them. Once you find what works for you it will become a way of life.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Once you've lost the weight, and are ready to go back to regular food, what will you eat, to keep the weight off? That's the heart of the problem with weight loss shakes. People don't learn how to eat to lose while drinking them, and don't learn to eat to maintain after stopping drinking them, and tend to regain the weight. Judging from your question, you already know what you are going to do.
  • Alix68
    Alix68 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was a lot of opinions really fast - thanks to everyone for taking their time.
    I usually have my low calorie meal for dinner, this is normal where I live in Spain - most people have a late but large lunch and a very small dinner as it's so hot during the summer that people tend to eat late and stay up late too.
    I think that I wouldn't need a high protein shake as I usually eat meat at lunchtime and snack on a few nuts during the day, but I admit that sometimes I'm tired when I get home from work - about 10.30pm, and it is easier to have a shake, plus I haven't got many hours to go in the day that I need energy for.
    Having said that, I do naturally tend towards whole foods and I think that, while everyone has their own methods, the general consensus here seems to be that soups and low calorie meals are preferable to expensive and unnatural shakes from a packet.
    So.. I can see that many people value this type of food for certain reasons and if they are used to using them then their opinion is also valid, and I think I'll continue to keep a few in the cupboard for appropriate times, but on the whole I think I'm back on the tasty butternut squash soup!
    Thanks everybody!
  • RitaMarie88
    RitaMarie88 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like to do meal replacement shake for lunch for the purpose of not going over calories so I can have whatever I want for dinner and not feel like I binged all day

I do this as well. I drink a Slimfast shake for breakfast and lunch. I also eat some healthy snacks in the middle. Like yogurt or fruit. Then for dinner I cook for my family and rather than feeling bad about eating whatever, I know I did good through out the day. Plus I eat smaller portions of dinner. Good luck and do what works for you!!
  • Katz135
    Options
    I make a smoothie starting with a cup of juice and 1/2-1 cup of low fat yogurt. Then I add whatever veggies or fruit I happen to have on hand. I find it really filling and gets my daily veggies into me. I like it with an apple, spinach and a banana but have used cauliflower, broccoli and raw carrots.
  • ryah1269
    Options
    I use Jay Robb whey protien shake mix which is the best tasting I have found, comes in several flavors and is made with Stevia, not sugar. I usually make it with sugar free coconut milk or water.
    It's a convenience thing and if I am fasting to detox my body or do a cleanse it provide good protein quick and easy.
  • TLTucker80
    TLTucker80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a meal replacement shake a day but just because I've never been much of a breakfast and sometimes lunch eater so I have one to put something in my body so I don't over do it at night
  • Fassopony
    Options
    I do a protein shake on Mondays for lunch, I eat whatever on Sundays and don't limit calories so it's a good way to lower the calories, etc., starting the new week for me. I like Spirutein (I order from Amazon), the cookies and cream that everyone says is fabulous is actually fabulous-and not too sweet. I'm trying the mango one this coming Monday. It's non-GMO, all vegan too if you dig that.