Tummy Toning

Options
What exercises do I need to do to tone up my belly?
I have lost over 60lbs in the last 2 years and even though the skin is shrinking back on my belly I am still wobbly. I work out nearly every day now 50mins of cardio and arm and leg weights but i really need to work on the belly.
Sit ups come to mind but how many a day or anything else that might help?
Thanks

Marie

Replies

• lmurph93
    lmurph93 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Core is my favourite thing to train since there are so many different exercises! I found I saw a difference when I add more oblique exercises (side planks, side crunches etc). Having a strong core helps with almost any other exercise/weightlifting too.

Unfortunately though when it comes to tummy toning most of it comes down to diet, and how lean you are.

EDIT:

I try to do 30 min of core after my cardio - there are lots of free apps with ab exercises and you can mix and match them! I usually do 3 sets of 6-8 exercises for 25-40 reps (depending on what they are and how much I want to do that day). Feel free to PM me if you want some ideas for exercises.

Good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hula hooping!
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    its not gonna be a popular answer, but the truth is if you lost the weight pretty fast the wobbly you describe could be excess skin? if so, you may need to consult a doctor if you want it gone. if not then maybe cut a bit more and see if it starts going away. as the saying goes: abs are made in the kitchen. cardio and core exercises aren't bad, but alone they won't get you there.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Compound moves like squats, deadlifts, lunges, push-ups etc. make a difference. Once I hit my goal weight I find that glutes and quad work, and building upper body muscle results in a "toned tummy".
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    "Toning" isn't a thing. It's a word girls use when they don't want to say "muscle" because it seems too manly. You can't spot reduce. If it's fat, it will come off when it's ready and that's different for everyone (where you pack on and lose weight is genetic roulette). However, if you have diastasis recti, there are exercises you can do for the transverse abdominus to help tighten the muscles and reduce the "pooch". There are simple tests for diastasis that you can find on youtube. Apart from that, if it's loose skin, you'll probably have to have it surgically removed.
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    Core exercises are super important, obviously. But one thing most people overlook when trying to create a toned tummy is nutrition. About 80% of your overall fitness happens in the kitchen. Find a solid core workout program and focus on your nutrition and you'll get there :smile:

Congrats on the weight loss. That's awesome!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Compound moves like squats, deadlifts, lunges, push-ups etc. make a difference. Once I hit my goal weight I find that glutes and quad work, and building upper body muscle results in a "toned tummy".

This...I have lost almost 45lbs and have lifted for almost 25weeks and I find my belly is looking better and better...

better then friends who do only cardio and a deficet and weigh less....
  • Marievine81
    Options
    Thanks everyone, core work it is then. The skin will go back it's a result of child bearing and not looking after myself throughout my 20's hopefully it won't come to surgery.
    Hopefully in a few months I can update with some abb pics! Thanks again