Early Morning Running

I like to get up early 5.30am and go for a run before getting ready for work. I am looking for some advice on what to eat / drink before I go out. I obviously cant wait for an hour after having a breakfast.

Normally I just have a glass of water and then off I go.......

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    If it's a short run say an hour or so it's really personal preference I don't run well in the morning on food too close to a run so the most I have is a banana and Coffee
  • KymmyJoy
    KymmyJoy Posts: 206 Member
    I have a small bowl of all bran and a quick glass of orange juice. All bran to sustain and juice to give me that instant boost.

No nutritional research- it's just what works for me! :)
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    If it's a short run say an hour or so it's really personal preference I don't run well in the morning on food too close to a run so the most I have is a banana and Coffee

Pretty much the same for me. Can't eat much before a run but need a little something..
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Carbs and some protein - porridge oats, cereal, glass of milk, banana, protein bar. That is my usual before a race.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Personally I can't run on an empty stomach so I always have my coffee, 2 scrambled eggs and small raisin bagel first. If it's a long run (over 20k) I'll come home and have a 2nd breakfast after.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    I run on an empty stomach. Pretty much unless I'm going over 13 miles I won't eat before. Anything over 13 and I'll have a banana before. I eat afterwards. That's what works for me. :)
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    I will usually do water and a banana and then have my coffee ready for when I get back!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    I run on an empty stomach. Pretty much unless I'm going over 13 miles I won't eat before. Anything over 13 and I'll have a banana before. I eat afterwards. That's what works for me. :)

This!

Except the running over 13 miles thing, lolno. Did that once, I'm good for now.

It's personal preference.
    I don't like eating before a run because I feel heavy and sluggish.
    So I feel it negatively affects my runs.

I have on race days, gotten up and eaten something like 3 hours before I run so I don't feel like crap.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    I don't eat before running unless its for a half. Some say you don't need to eat before a half. I don't feel like experimenting:) This morning, I jumped out of bed, got in my workout gear and ran 3 miles... If I do have time to spare(not cramming it in before work), I do like to have coffee and a piece of fruit but I don't feel like I need it. If I do eat before a run, I allow time for it it digest and for me to make any last minute trips to the restroom.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Sip of water. Eat when you're done. You should have enough in the tank to go for ~2hrs sans fuel
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    I'm a midday runner mon-fri so I'm accustomed to being fed before running. So i carry this over to my early morning Sunday long runs. I have a bowl of oatmeal made with milk and a cup of coffee. If I'm going to be up for over two hours before running (like for a half marathon) I will also make my pb & j smoothie (I throw some hemp and spinach in it for fun).
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    If I run right when I wake up sometimes I'll eat a banana (alot of times I just don't eat though and have never had a problem), gives you a few carbs to work off of but is light and won't make your tummy unhappy
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    If I'm running less than 5-6 miles I don't eat before, but I do have my usual cup of coffee. If it's a longer run, I'll have an english muffin with peanut butter about an hour before I run.

Edited to add: I also drink some water before a run, but not too much. I'll make sure I'm well hydrated the day before and then have water available as soon as I'm done running.
  • stephen4232
    stephen4232 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Thanks for your advice! :-)
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    I get up at 4:30 am run on an empty stomach.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    All I have is a cup of coffee and some water for most of my morning runs. The only time I will eat anything is when I have a race or I have a long run over and hour. Otherwise, I don't see anything wrong with not eating anything before your morning run.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    I think it depends on you really. A lot of the times I run in the morning I just have water and go. If its going to be a long run, I will put a breakfast bar in my coat. But generally I am fine.

Last week I ran 8 miles in the morning and just had a breakfast bar before I left.
  • lmurph93
    lmurph93 Posts: 19 Member
    If I get up in the morning I run on an empty stomach! Even if I go on the treadmill at the gym It's usually been at least 2 hours since I last ate. It's all about what you get used to I think - if you're not used to it, it may be hard the first couple of times. I personally get outrageous stitches if I eat right before a run, and even waiting 1/2 an hour is pushing it.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 921 Member
    I usually have a bar made for eating just before running (i.e. instructions say eat 15 min prior (access bar) )...but if it is a short run I have a small yogurt or a couple big swigs of a meal replacement shake that has carbs (not a protein shake).
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    It depends how your body reacts and how far you're running. Water, sports drink, sports chews, a gel pack, bagel, piece of fruit ... find what works for you so you don't feel sluggish but don't hurl either.