How to get use to the taste of avocados

Options

Replies

• LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Lime, coriander (Cilantro) and chilli. I'm not a huge fan of them, but with those three things, they are amazing.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have seen some recipes that sub avacado for butter, etc. in baked goods...sounds a bit weird I know but as they don't have a ton of flavor but do have a rich creamy texture I think it works. If you are really trying to get them into your diet for some reason (I know they are a super food) this might be a way to do it for you. If not, don't worry about it and take the advice of the others to eat something you do like! There are other super foods out there.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Not yet, not yet, not yet, not yet, NOW, too late.

-Avocados.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Step 1. Buy avocado.
    Step 2. Slice all around the middle and split open
    Step 3. Remove seed
    Step 4. Throw it out of the window if you don't actually like avocados.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sprinkling them with a little sea salt makes ALL the difference for me. It really brings out the flavor. Otherwise, avocados just taste like a pile of mush. I love them when properly ripe and with salt, though. If they are not the right level of ripeness, they can taste like soap to me.

I definitely acquired the taste for avocado when I started to enjoy guacamole. I hate it when it's mashed into a pile of goo, but when they are chopped of pieces of partly smashed avocado, especially when mixed with some pico de gallo alongside some Mexican rice, that's when avocado is at its best!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Avocados are one of those things that you either like or you don't I think.
    I enjoy it cut in half with the "cup" filled with a tart vinegar based dressing like coleslaw dressing. Eat with a spoon and make sure that every bite has a bit of the sauce. (Not all guacamole is created equal! Some are downright nasty. So maybe find another recipe and try again.)
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Avocado ice cream is to die for.

Once upon a time, I despised avocados. Don't even try to push guacamole over on me. Tried it - hated it. Then one day at a restaurant in the middle of nowhere, I tried this guacamole, literally on a dare from my wife, and it tasted like nothing I'd ever had before. Turns out, homemade guac tastes so much better than the pre-made garbage. I was hooked. Eventually I grew to like avocados on pretty much anything. Now, home made guac is a family staple. But I still can't stand the pre-made stuff.

I don't know, maybe you just haven't liked the stuff you've already tried? Has it all been pre-made? Have you used fresh avocados? If you've worked with the fresh avocados and you still don't like them, there probably isn't much you can do about it. If you don't like something you simply don't like something, and that's Life. We could probably share a million recipes with you, and in the end they'd all still taste like avocados. Drat!

Oh well. Good luck figuring it all out.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Eat something else that you enjoy the taste of rather than trying to make yourself enjoy something that you obviously don't.
    Beat me to it :D
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Avocados, you either hate them or love them. There is no inbetween. I love love them. Anyone looking at my diary can see that! LOL. But, don't force yourself if you don't enjoy it. You can get the same nutrients somewhere else.

Can I have the rest of that avocado? :love:
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm with the "if you don't like it don't eat it" group. Personally I like avocado's in almost any form as long as they are fully ripe. OTOH I can't stand olives and will not eat them regardless of how they are hidden (including pizza when I used to eat pizza). My wife, however, loves olives but can't stand mushrooms. Don't try to force yourself to eat something "just because".
  • viktorijandz
    viktorijandz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't eat avocados often but once I decide to have one, I blend fully ripe avocado with one whole lemon and sprinkle some dark chocolate chip or crushed nuts on top. It turns out a very tasty and healthy dessert. :)
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Toast a piece of bread. Spread on some fresh avocado. Sprinkle on a little lemon pepper seasoning. Very yummo.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    add avocado to basil pesto using less olive oil ... add to pasta ( add some lemon or lime ) There are lots of avocado with pasta recipes.
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Gosh, and there was me thinking that I was the only person that loathed avacados! The taste, the texture, the smell... urgh!
    OP, I feel ya...
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have always loved avocados, but when I was pregnant with my first daughter the smell of them was as gross as the thought of eating one. After she was born, I loved them again. My daughter, on the other hand, has disliked the flavor all of her life. Some things are just genetic!

If you want to give it another try, find the packets of flavored dip seasonings and choose your favorite. Mashed avocado is creamy and can be used as a base to make a dip or spread in Ranch or French Onion or whatever flavor you choose.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Mix it into egg salad
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Eat something else that you enjoy the taste of rather than trying to make yourself enjoy something that you obviously don't.

^This.
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You may just not enjoy the taste of an avocado, which is okay. Don't force yourself.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Mix it into egg salad

Haven't tried this...thanks! I use it instead of mayo in tuna salad, though, with a bit of lemon or lime juice. And I love it sliced on toast with tomato and bacon, with a little salt and pepper.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Mix an avocado, a stevia packet, and a couple teaspoons of cocoa powder in your food processor. Makes yummy gluten and dairy free chocolate pudding.