Personal Trainer made me ...annoyed...ha

I am a hairstylist and have a client (for many years now) who is a personal trainer/nutritionist...all around bad @ss type person.

We were talking yesterday about MFP and she asked how many calories I eat? I said 16xx and she gasps....WHY?? That is hardly any food!!!??? I was like well I often times eat over that but have lost 10 pounds last month. She got on her soap box and told me I should be eating at LEAST 2000 cals and not losing over a pound a week.

I need to lose 125 pounds. Is it wrong that I would like to lose 2 pounds a week?? Good lord...she put me in a mood. Someone tell me, it's okay and pull me out of this funk. She basically made me feel like a idiot for my choices. I eat a ton of fruits and veggies and not a lot of meat. I think I'm doing alright....

Replies

• allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    you're doing just fine. do whats working for you. geez yesterday I had 750, other days 1200... other days far more.
  • hladams8110
    hladams8110 Posts: 27 Member
    If you need to lose 125 lbs, you definitely are ok to lose 2 lbs a week. Honestly, if you're not starving on what youre eating now, you're probably fine in general.
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    Personal trainers are like politicians. They always think "their way" is the best and that "their ideas" are the obvious choice. She doesn't know your weight and age and stats like you've programed and she doesn't know what kinds of calories your eating, so she really can't preach. Just to be polite, I'd say "thanks for your advice" and do your own thing anyways. I wish I could post gifs but there's one of Robery Downey Jr. and he says "listen and nod politely, and then do what ever the **** you were gunna do anyways". If your losing weight and still eating nutritiously, then it's working for you. Keep it up!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    2lb a week is fine but I would watch your protein if i was you... MFP sets it low and should be seen as a minimum...
  • Sharbear73
    Sharbear73 Posts: 96 Member
    Thanks guys...I didn't even thank her for her advice...haha...I just listened...whateves. She does know my weight but she still thinks losing it slowly is better. I get it, but in the beginning it should be coming off quicker anyway. Yadda Yadda.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Personal trainers are like politicians. They always think "their way" is the best and that "their ideas" are the obvious choice.

This! Wow! :drinker:
    And I think you should know your body the best.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Just the words personal trainer puts me in a mood...most are useless...notice I said most not all...

You are fine. With that amount of weight to lose you could be eating more but at the same time if you are feeling "good" and not lethargic and you aren't noticing hair falling out etc and you are getting your protien...all is good...

Even if she knows your weight etc just cause she thinks that doesn't make it so.
  • I agree. However, I have MFP set to lose 2 lbs a week as well. I try and work out at least 5 times a week which gives back more calories to eat. I DO EAT THOSE calories I worked out for. I think your body can go into starvation mode too and I do not want to hang on to any fat due to not eating enough.

What has been successful for me is "getting ahead of my hunger." I eat protein (greek yogurt) and coffee as soon as I get up in the morning. Then, around 9:00 I eat an egg sandwich on an english muffin. Then lunch around noon. Snack around 3:00. Then, I pick up my kids and make dinner around 6:00. So I guess I am eating every 3-4 hours. I have never really don'e that before and it has really helped with my hunger in the evenings. After dinner I feel satisfied.

I have to lose about 100 pounds and 2 pounds a week is what I am aiming for as well. I believe it is fine as long as you are eating those 1600 cals most days and not going way under.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Losing 2 pounds a week is just right, don't let anyone else's opinion or bad advice get you down. And I really like the sound of the things you eat, has given me some inspiration! :-)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    annoyance be Gone! You are doing FINE and We count, not That person! :)

GREAT job so far!
  • I had a person on my list who said her trainer said she must do intense cardio 6x a week, weights are useless at this point, and never ever ever eat over 1200 calories a day. Either extreme isn't okay. Right now I think that's a perfect amount for where you're at. Yes, you'll have to lose slower the smaller you get...but 2lbs. for the amt. you need to lose now is perfectly reasonable.
  • I have been working out for almost 2 years now, and I have lost 70+ pounds. Its really hard. Before I worked out I probably was eating 2500+ calories, then when I started working out, I dropped it to about 1200 calories. Well I was seeing the results I wanted, but what I didn't realize is that once your body get caught up to not eating all those calories, you will hit a plateau (those suck by the way). Ive been stuck at my plateau for about 4 months now. And my trainer said that we had to do a reverse diet. Which is where you slowly add calories, and gain some weight back (depressing) then once that happens, you slowly cut the calories, and step up in the cardio. So im in this position now. I see that you are doing GREATTT!! and don't let that one person stop you from doing something you want to do :) My advice, is don't drop your calories too much at one time, and keep pushing. You will do great!! Keep it up :) Add me if you want. Hope this help some!!
  • Losing 2 lbs a week is slow when you have over 30 lbs to lose. From everything I've seen and read, it's around the 30 lb mark that you start to really slow down.

You're doing good and I honestly think, if it's working for you, then keep doing it. I agree about upping the protein. MFP sets it low.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Personal trainers are like politicians. They always think "their way" is the best and that "their ideas" are the obvious choice. She doesn't know your weight and age and stats like you've programed and she doesn't know what kinds of calories your eating, so she really can't preach. Just to be polite, I'd say "thanks for your advice" and do your own thing anyways. I wish I could post gifs but there's one of Robery Downey Jr. and he says "listen and nod politely, and then do what ever the **** you were gunna do anyways". If your losing weight and still eating nutritiously, then it's working for you. Keep it up!

post-6859-0-95649900-1389132567.jpg
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    In my experience a lot of personal trainers are the biggest perpetrators of diet Myths and Missinformation. If only they stuck to what they actually new about
  • lcooke24
    lcooke24 Posts: 115 Member
    Congratulations on a job well done so far! Do what works for you!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    You could most probably get away with dropping 3lb at least a week with exercise so 2lb sounds very sensible :-) Good luck on your journey
  • You are doing great! Keep doing what you're doing as long as it is healthy & please stay motivated. Learn to mentally tune people like that out because a personal trainer should be more encouraging. Your confidence will increase as you accomplish your weight loss goals. Do what works best for you. People lose weight in different ways.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member

post-6859-0-95649900-1389132567.jpg

This is why we love the D-man.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    From the above conversation, I also hit the protein. There is research that suggests that eating enough protein and exercising (cardio and resistance) will help preserve your lean body mass (eating a couple of hours before you do your cadio will help as well). :-)