Question about the treadmill vs. outside running

Options
So I am usually an outside runner, but lately conditions have been very bad this winter and I have either not wanted to or have not been able to run outside safely. I have been using the treadmill much more than running outside for the past couple of weeks, and I was just wondering how much running on the treadmill for the majority of the winter instead of running outside will affect my fitness / ability to run at a good pace and with good stamina outside. I know that the treadmill and running out doors are significantly different, so what kinds of changes in my levels of running fitness should I expect once I return to more consistent outside running? Thanks!

Replies

• Sbolinger37
    Options
    If you set the incline to 1-2% it is about the same as running outside!
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Honestly- I started running by training on a treadmill in the winter and then running outside when it was nice. I saw that my mile times improved (got faster).

I think that over all your distance and time shouldn't change all that drastically if you are using the treadmill just for the colder months. Once you get back outside you might find it a little bit harder depending on your routes and if there are hills and such. You can compensate for that by putting the treadmill on a slight incline while your running inside to help amp up the difficulty.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    For some reason I feel like running on the treadmill is a lot harder than running outside. Not sure why lol
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I do the majority of my running on a treadmill and will run outside once in a while during the warmer months. I have not seen any decrease in my speed when I run outside. I actually have to tell myself to slow down, especially on a longer run.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i have had the opposite experience as everyone else. I find that running on a treadmill didn't translate to running outside- ie after training on a treadmill, it seemed a lot harder to run outside than it did before i trained on a treadmill.

That being said, i find treadmills "harder" in that i find it harder to balance on them. So maybe it's because I have to hold on?
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yea holding on makes it easier. I find that running on the treadmill improves my running outside because it forces me to keep pace even when I'm tired so I can't slow down.

That said, all treadmill are NOT created equal. sometimes the older ones feel WAY too easy, like maybe they aren't calibrated correctly. The newer ones are much better.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I do both. I enjoy running outside on field and forest paths. When I am at the gym I alternate between and Arc trainer and the treadmill. When using the treadmill, I use profiles of speed and incline, that really challenge me. This has increased my speed and stamina outside. I live in an area, where hill running is normal.... so I can defintely use that extra umph.

The tread is more for training, outside running is also for the soul, IMO
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    I trained on a treadmill last winter & then got outside once it was nice, initially I felt slightly setback because of the wind taking my breath away but after the first handful of runs I got used to it. I live in Vermont where it is hilly so that had an impact as well but for every uphill there is a downhill where your muscles work differently and your lungs get a break too , because of this, I found it much harder to go back to the treadmill going a set speed on a steady incline but I'm sure boredom played a part in that!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill (flat) is about 18% less work than running outside...wind resistance terrain changes etc.... if you want to "simulate" the same workload add some incline,, it will be differen tfor everyone... so .. run a mile.. outside.. gauge your intnesity and you rfatigue 9and your time) then find that sweet spot on your treadmill's incline.
  • kreene1987
    kreene1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is much harder than running outside for me because you never get a downhill. Unless you are working with the new treadmills with a downhill setting I prefer outside.

As to 1% incline, there is a chart comparing mile times with incline to flat mile times as far as working out. The higher the incline the slower you can go to have the same effect. Google it and you should find a ton of charts.