Need to lose 30 pounds-just getting started

Options

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    As everyone says, keep the diary under your Food heading. Research has shown that logging your intake gives you a greater chance for success. As you are logging into your food in your diary, find meals that you enjoy and are at different calorie counts. Save these to "My Meals" and title them first with the number of calories. i.e. 510 Pei Wei Korean Steak Lettuce Wraps. That way, if you have 520 calories remaining in your day you can easily find a meal to fit.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You can do it. This is a great community of supportive people and you can find tons of information here.
  • daniellegautreau
    Options
    Starting today looking to lose 30-40lbs. Joined MFP over a year ago to use it as a calorie counter but never list more then 10 or so lbs before giving up and gaining anything that I lost back shortly after. Finally fed up with being over weight and looking to finally make a lifestyle change and lose this extra weight. Currently 196lbs and want to be down to 155-165lbs or less. Anyone have any good tips for just starting out. Add me if you want. Thanks :))
  • Autk79
    Autk79 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I think were around the same height/weight so anyone feel free to add me! We can motivate each other :)
  • BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Our stats are so close! I'm 5'6" and my starting weight was 172...this time.... (I started at 185 in 2012, got down to 139 and then got pregnant so I'm 'starting' all over again ;) Some things that helped me be successful last time was 30 mins cardio 4 x's a week (I like the elliptical because it's less impact & 15 min weights after the cardio. If you don't belong to a gym, check out 30 day shred by jillian michaels. As for foods, keep it clean and simple but find substitutions for things you love. Think of it as a lifestyle change, not a diet. Do things/make changes that you can sustain long term. I love ice cream... skinny cow and weight watchers have some that taste pretty dang amazing when you have a sweet tooth. Fiber one bars are like candy to me too. I typically eat oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast. For lunch I keep frozen tyson diced chicken in freezer to heat up and put over lettuce with lite salad dressing & veggies. I can usually eat whatever I want for dinner (I just keep an eye on portions)....and if I need more calories, I workout longer or harder. It's like a budget lol you have to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.... and Water is crucial!!! I can only drink so much boring plain water so I put orange mio in it. Good luck!
  • brett1117
    Options
    Welcome!! Look into Keto Diet for 2mths! Have to change your mind before you change your body!! 75% of your body is made in the kitchen
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    No one thing works for everyone. After some trial and error I settled on 1500cals/day for my goal. According to my fitbit I burn between 1800-2100 calories/day. I eat 85% "clean" but I'm not really a nazi about any "no-no foods". I eat what I want in moderation for the most part. I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women as my primary workout. Occasionally I will go for a run or walk... play wii fit, wii dance or something for about 20-30min and that's all the cardio I'm getting. The weight is coming off SLOW but it's staying off. I took a week off last week and only had a deficit of 700cal for the week... but I didn't gain and I didn't stress about it.

Slow and steady. Good luck! Feel free to add me!
  • befitnow3
    befitnow3 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello and Happy Monday,

I've just about had it with being over weight. I need and want to lose 30 pounds and was hoping I could get tips on food intake such as meal plans and exercise plan. I'm 5 ft 6 inches and currently weight 170. My ideal weight is 140 lbs.

Thank you in advance!

Sunny

I'm at your weight and height and the same goals too:) just started here a month ago. Hope to connect!
  • marym251082
    Options
    Hey all,

I started with the atkins diet today.have heard a lot about it and read some success stories on MFP. Thought would give it my best shot along with working out 6 days a week.tired of being overweight. I dont feel confident anymore..have been on the other side of the scale almost all my life. I m 5 feet 4 inches tall and need to lose 30 pounds.. currently weigh 177.. Anyone has tips or suggestions ..thanks in advance.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I like your determination. I felt the same way when I started and I still feel that way. The weight will NOT come back!

I've lost about 50 pounds and feel awesome. If I could do it, you can definitely do it.

For me, MFP helped me realize why I was so overweight in the first place. I worked out fairly regularly but couldn't lose weight. I blamed genetics, metabolism, thyroid, anything and everything. My first day of MFP was a "normal" day where I just logged what I ate. The total came up to around 3,500 calories - and I cut back my evening snack because I realized how high the numbers were getting!

I realized that I was eating way, way, way too much food. I learned what BMR and TDEE is, and what I should be eating (around 2,300 calories - I'm a 6'2" guy). I bought a heart-rate monitor so I could more closely measure how many calories I burn in my workouts. As I started losing weight I started increasing the intensity of the workouts to burn more calories.

I have an eating and nutritional plan that works for me, which I'd be happy to share with you. But the key is finding what works for you - eat the foods you like to eat (and can eat in moderation)... be as physically active as you can, doing activities you enjoy doing. Recognize that this is a lifestyle change, so change your life in a way that works for you - that way you'll stick with it.

If you restrict your calories too much and workout too hard, you're more likely to get sick of the whole thing and go back to your old habits - which is what caused you to gain those 30 pounds in the first place. This is what most people do through dieting - so decide you're doing to do this RIGHT - and do it! :)
  • kbones1
    Options
    Hello,

I would love to join this board. I have similar stats as well. I have tried losing weight countless times. I stick to it a few weeks then I fall off the bandwagon. My biggest problem I think is portion control and the fact that I binge late at night. I guess working full time , maintaining house, kids etc I find that at my "down" time at night I use food as a means of relaxation and comfort. Hopefully , we can all help and motivate each other!!
  • lookin08902
    lookin08902 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm also 5'6" and am determined to lose 25lbs. Just started last week, and already have had some of the emotional highs and lows. If you'd like to do this journey together, please add me as a friend. I have one or two now who are very encouraging and we blab our frustrations, and pat each other's back for what we did good! It helps.
  • AndreaMP12
    AndreaMP12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm looking to lose about the same, and still trying to figure out what works best for me. I've tried eliminating certain things out of my diet and running more miles, but I still fall off the wagon too often. I'm 5'4" and around 160, looking to lose 30-40 lbs. This is a good place to find support and motivation! :)
  • sandraaballard
    sandraaballard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of free exercise videos out there. POPsugar Fitness and Lionsgate BeFit Channels on youtube have a lot of variety. Start small and keep doing a little more as you go along. At first I could only work out for 17 minutes, a month later I can go for 50. Good luck!
  • little_my
    little_my Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 of my weightless journey. I'm 5'4", 160lbs. My first goal is 140lbs.

Rather than kicking off with a strict diet, I've been modifying things a bit which has helped already. I've imposed an eating curfew, cut down on snacking, cut out pop, started the 30 Day Butt Challenge (I'm on Day 6), and am trying to keep my activity levels up using my Fitbit as motivation. I have a cross trainer I use at home. Next week I will pay closer attention to calories, but right now I'm just trying to make some healthy changes. I'd love to hit my goal before summer.
  • margaretha30
    Options
    Welcome! My goal is 135 I just started also and I have 65lbs to lose. What is your plan on losing weight? Im currently doing the T25 first week
  • nataliesales
    nataliesales Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat as you! Started at 182, I got down to 155, gained 20 lbs, so now I'm back up at 175. Trying to get down to 150 again. I've been jogging and using the elliptical lately, but food is where I've been having trouble (I have a huge sweet tooth, I blame my dad). Been eating a lot of salads, lean proteins, and drinking a toooon of water. Water is your best friend, especially when you're trying to lose weight! Good luck :)
  • glynie12
    glynie12 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    hi! as i read all these posts, i truly get a sense of encouragement and support. we seem to all be in that 'situation' and willing to do whatever it takes to succeed. i know i am. i joined mfp in january and although the pounds lost have been somewhat slower that what i expected....its real and i love it. i am down and my inches lost coincide. i exercise 5-6 times a week and i am logging every single thing i put in my mouth. this is saving me i can tell you!!
    id love to be friends with anyone who wants to. we can do this together and jump to our progress and successes:)
    have a fantastic day all:heart:
  • Cathygal
    Cathygal Posts: 25
    Options
    HI! You can add me on here! I am trying to lose about 30 pounds (more) I had lost a lot of weight but have gained so much back in the past year so I am at it again.. This time I have made some decisions and changes and KNOW I will be able to maintain. I know what it feels like wearing a size 6 shorts because I DID LAST SUMMER! :sad: But I will again and would love some more buddies to lose with!! :flowerforyou:
  • Cathygal
    Cathygal Posts: 25
    Options
    hi! as i read all these posts, i truly get a sense of encouragement and support. we seem to all be in that 'situation' and willing to do whatever it takes to succeed. i know i am. i joined mfp in january and although the pounds lost have been somewhat slower that what i expected....its real and i love it. i am down and my inches lost coincide. i exercise 5-6 times a week and i am logging every single thing i put in my mouth. this is saving me i can tell you!!
    id love to be friends with anyone who wants to. we can do this together and jump to our progress and successes:)
    have a fantastic day all:heart:

HI! You can add me on here! I am trying to lose about 30 pounds (more) I had lost a lot of weight but have gained so much back in the past year so I am at it again.. This time I have made some decisions and changes and KNOW I will be able to maintain. I know what it feels like wearing a size 6 shorts because I DID LAST SUMMER! :sad: But I will again and would love some more buddies to lose with!! :flowerforyou: