Juicing

Options
Hi Guys

I'm doing the reboot with Joe. Does anyone know, re calories, if you make broth/soup/ stew from the left over insoluble fibre, is that extra calories, or are the calories counted anyway in the amounts he gives for the juice? I'm assuming all the cals come out in the juice process and that insoluble fibre has none, but I don't want to be making a schoolgirl error!

Thanks
Lynxy x

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    The error would be thinking that this is any kind of a "reboot". Extreme calorie deficit with a lot of sugar (yes fruit juice is a lot of sugar) isn't the best way to start off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you want the simplifed version of this, just take a high dose laxative.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    insoluble fiber is usually counted as a complex carb, I believe, but you don't digest it.

If you are going to juice, then use the pulp (that's what you are asking?) you are going to be getting more stuff out of the pulp, as even a masticating juicer does not extract everything from it, but I don't think it's really going to be enough to worry about, unless you are really eating tons of it.

You may be getting into math here, but here's how I would do it:

Take your total of what you are juicing: Let's say you are doing three carrots, 3 celery, and half a beet.

Figure the total calories (and other stuff if you want).

Measure each juice amount you get, and then look THAT up. (3 oz fresh carrot juice, etc).

subtract that from the total you got for each type.

Whatever is leftover is what's going in your soup/cracker/whatever.

It's not going to be perfect, but it's going to be fairly close.
  • Lynxlet
    Options
    The error would be thinking that this is any kind of a "reboot". Extreme calorie deficit with a lot of sugar (yes fruit juice is a lot of sugar) isn't the best way to start off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lynxlet
    Options
    Thanks for responses.

One was helpful.
  • KLiK3xs
    KLiK3xs Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you will Juice vegetables along with some fruits and that you have searched other sites for information, there is lots out there.

I have recently started searching for ways to include adding pulp to meals. There is usually lots of pulp left over and one can freeze so much so I end up tossing some out.

As for the calories in pulp, i dont worry to much about the difference, i figure it will take more energy trying to digest and process it than what calories it has.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you will Juice vegetables along with some fruits and that you have searched other sites for information, there is lots out there.

I have recently started searching for ways to include adding pulp to meals. There is usually lots of pulp left over and one can freeze so much so I end up tossing some out.

As for the calories in pulp, i dont worry to much about the difference, i figure it will take more energy trying to digest and process it than what calories it has.

THere's a pretty awesome sounding cracker recipe out there.. it's just pulp, a bit of flour (or garbanzo flour if you are on a GF kick), spread over a dehydrator screen or a cookie sheet, and either dehydrated or baked until crispy. You can hit em with salt, oil, whatever..

I haven't managed to get ENOUGH pulp in one shot to do it yet, but will once spring gets here and vegetables in quantity are available cheaply.

I usually don't juice fruits in my veggie juices.. I just go all veg.