How is everyone measuring the BF%

Options
BF% is a common thing to be thrown in the advice section of this message boards. I'm done losing weight and I want to focus on decreasing my body fat but I know that the online calculators, the caliper method, the weight scale body fat measuring system are all inaccurate. I know that because I've used my handheld body fat calculators and it tells me I have a body fat of 14% which is ridiculously underestimated. Those body fat calculators out there also underestimate my body fat by a LOT. The only thing I know that is accurate is maybe bod pod, hydrostatic dunk testing, or dexa scan. But then I highly doubt that the majority of people in this forums actually use those when they mention their body fat. So what method do you use? I know some people would say just stick with one method and just look for improvement. However, the simple and cheap measurements (caliper, weight scale body fat/hand held calculator) is not only inaccurate but also not precise as my readings change a lot depending on my hydration level, if I worked out yesterday, etc.

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Take the average over a period of time. Or find a calculator where you put in more measurements for more accuracy.

Also how do you know they're underestimating your BF% if you don't have an accurate method?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I always use the bod pod or dexa scan. I have a test done every 6 months.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It's not about what your actual % is, that's just a number. It's more about being consistent, and using the same method every time to watch it hopefully decrease over time.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It's not about what your actual % is, that's just a number. It's more about being consistent, and using the same method every time to watch it hopefully decrease over time.
    And that. Besides, even if it's 5% off or so it should always be close enough to the actual amount for the sake of calorie intake calculation.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    That form of measuring body fat is actually least accurate, according to my trainer, because it changes depending on the pressure you use. So each time you do it could be radically different.

Unless you do a water displacement test, your body fat could be off by a 16% deviation!

We use a scale that calculates body fat. It is off, of course, but the important thing is that at least it's the same method every time. We just look to see if that number is going down consistently, not really what the number is.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    A good discussion about the failings of the most common bf% measurement methods:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/830595-body-fat-estimation-methods
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Find a place with an InBody machine...
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I get Dexa'd.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I always use the bod pod or dexa scan. I have a test done every 6 months.

Where do you go to get one? How much? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Sidesteel and sarauk did a visual estimate for me, based on several pictures I gave them to analyze, (they do this for members of their MFP group), and that matched pretty closely with the results from a reading I had done from a machine. Also, I'm in line with other women who have the same bf%, based on pictures (around 17%).
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

this
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I use the mirror. I need to lose body fat according to the mirror. (and get a tan).

5ff439de8c2c11e39b1a0ac99e922831_8.jpg
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bod Pod, Hydrostatic, and Dexa Scan are the most accurate. For me I've cross referenced Bod Pod results with an OMRON HBF-306C (Bioelectrical Impedance Method) so I know relatively where I'm at by adjusting the reading from the OMRON.
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    i use a ruler
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    A good discussion about the failings of the most common bf% measurement methods:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/830595-body-fat-estimation-methods

This is an important read (the weightology links).

I go by the mirror, and doublecheck with hydro if I'm at a decision point.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I paid to have my bf% measured in a hydrostatic tank. They are the most accurate method, so I figured it was worth shelling out $50 to find out for sure.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

This is a good method if you can't afford a Dexa or displacement test...

I live in Canada and just found out we have a dexa scan at our local hospital and it's free...Yah Canadian Medical...

I am going to get one in the next 6 months...until then I have taken measurments and used the same site and I have gone down 8% points...now is the actual BF% correct...maybe...maybe not but I know that number is going down so I am good for now.
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    the one time i got it done, the guy used this machine that shoots light into your wrist/hand area and it measures the time it takes for the light to come back and he also did a caliper method. both numbers were close to each other and seemed ok

now i just look in the mirror. its pretty easy for me to see if im leaner/fatter esp if the weight scale corresponds to what im seeing
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I use the mirror. Don't like what I see? Keep working.
  • QngieZ
    QngieZ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use the mirror. I need to lose body fat according to the mirror. (and get a tan).

5ff439de8c2c11e39b1a0ac99e922831_8.jpg

What the...kekekeke XD