PCOS and diet: I need some help.

Options
So it has been confirmed that I have mild PCOS without the presentation of ovarian cysts. I'm not really clear on the adjustments I have to make to my diet. My doctor gave me Metformin and aldactone to correct my insulin and hormones. However, I don't know what foods I should avoid and when or if those foods are ever okay.

For example, I like to eat oatmeal with protein powder for breakfast. Is oatmeal still okay? I do have a sweet tooth. Are sweets ever okay (particularly chocolate)? I eat protein bars as snacks. Are they still okay? What about bread? I know should avoid white bread but is whole grain still okay?

I could really use some guidance from some of the ladies who have dealt with PCOS through diet.

Yes, I will be weighing food from this point forward.

Thanks,

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do have PCOS but never changed anything for my diet, only have an active and healthy lifestyle. I know some that have good results with low carbs. Maybe you should meet with a nutritionist?

Good luck honey
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    There are many sites out there if you google pcos diet. Yes, stay away from sugary foods, white flours, sodium-rich foods and fatty foods. Which leaves what??? lol. It is really challenging. I have been more strict in the past and need to get back on the wagon since I just had my second child. Of course you can have the "forbidden foods" occasionally but I recommend pairing them with healthier food that won't spike your glucose. Also, many PCOS sufferers tend to have a gluten intolerance so maybe you might want to get tested for that or try an elimination diet. Good luck!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I just posted the link for this post on a friend's page in case she has some advice.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    See that's the problem I have. I made all these recommended dietary changes when I first lost weight. Granted, I could be more strict with it, but I my hormones started changing before I lost weight, and now the symptoms are worse than ever.

I'm just not sure how to go about this. But I'll keep researching it and making adjustments where necessary.
  • iFreebaseBacon
    iFreebaseBacon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    From what I read about a ketogenic diet, it really helps with PCOS.
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Cupcake for directing me here!

OP, PCOS is so frustrating & an awful thing to experience. I have PCOS (w/cysts), and in turn, insulin resistance (I am on metformin for this part of the PCOS). Insulin Resistance is something commonly associated with PCOS ~ perhaps that is why your doctor placed you on metformin, without informing you as to specifically why.

I have met with a nutritionist, and I'll provide you with the materials and advice she's given me. With PCOS, sugars are your worst enemy. Your body (especially if you've been placed on metformin - this is a definite 'sign') has absolutely no idea what to do when sugar enters your bloodstream. That sugar is instantly turned into 'energy' (AKA: fat) and stored on your body ~ now, that is sugar that spikes your insulin (foods high in sugar, without being paired with a type of protein). I would say if you have to have your chocolate, pair it with a source of protein. Eat some almonds with your chocolate bar. It will help balance out the sugar spike.

Processed foods are your other enemy. 'White' anything, cakes, cookies, non-organic products, gluten can even hinder your progress. Aim for the whole grains, organic breads, steel cut oats (yes, you can still have oats!) ~ Anything that takes LESS than 10 minutes to make STAY AWAY. It only takes a little bit of time to make these items because they have been processed and processed and pro... You get my point.

Here are a couple websites I was directed to by my nutritionist. They help you to educate yourself a bit more on what is really happening in your body.

http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.pdf
    http://www.pcosupport.org/

One more thing: If you eat 3 meals a day, you want to keep your carbs to 40gm per meal (so, 120 gm per day) ~ not necessarily "low carb", but definitely a restricted amount per food 'sitting'. Also, exercise is your friend. Cardio, weight lifting (specifically the most rewarding with PCOS), anything to keep you moving. Exercise is like a natural medicine for those with PCOS ~ it helps with the symptoms, helps with the cramping and pain you may experience, and helps get your body back on the 'right track'.

I hope I've helped & not confused you, darling! If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a line, or add me. I struggle with this everyday & I love to help anyway that I can.

~Meag
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This was really informative, thank you! I have PCOS as well (small cysts) and while I dont have many "bready" carbs, I can definatly be better with my sodium intake.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    First off, the poster above, SirenSong, has excellent advice and is quite knowledgable about the subject.

There's another post about a person with PCOS, so I'm going to say pretty much the same thing I said to her about my experiences so far.

I have PCOS and follow a low carb diet (20g net carbs per day, that means total carbs minus fiber, as fiber does not get processed in the same way by the body). I've had incredible relief of symptoms and it's worked out for me. High energy, faster weight loss, easier periods, fewer and less intense cramps. And on a side note, my heart health has improved. I started the low carb diet because I read a study that showed women with PCOS had an easier time losing weight and showed relief of symptoms with a diet lower in carbohydrates and higher in protein. I shifted to moderate protein, high fat, low carb when I realized high protein was not keeping me satisfied. It's said that anything under 100g is technically low carb, but I find that I do not get the relief of symptoms until I'm under 50g, but it's at an entirely different level when I'm at 20g.

Now that I've said that... low carb diets do not mean that you have to deprive yourself of vegetables. It's not meat, meat, meat, cheese, meat. It's broccoli and spinach omelette with a side of breakfast sausage or avocado. It's a nice chicken ceasar salad without croutons. It's almonds and flaxseed buns for a treat, followed by steak with mushrooms and cauliflower. You tailor your own diet to your needs. The way I do it, all of my carbs are spent on delicious veggies. I never feel deprived.

Sure, I've seen people low carb it by eating chicken wrapped in bacon, asparagus wrapped in bacon, and bacon wrapped in bacon, but that's not how everyone does it, and certainly not how you have to do it.

This is by no means supposed to be a post pushing you towards the diet. Let me know if you ever want any help if you decide to start a low carb diet.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My problem with this is that I have already successfully lost significant weight implementing the exact recommendations that I have been given. But now, my PCOS symptoms have become problematic. It may possibly be that I confused PCOS symptoms with another condition and have actually suffered much longer than I realized, but other than being consistent with what I was already doing, I really don't know where to go from here.

I really don't think I could do a keto diet. It's just not for me.
  • ldnmaggie
    ldnmaggie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have just been diagnosed with PCOS I need help, this has helped. If any of you have more advice and support please please add me
  • tryanother
    tryanother Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My doctor discovered I had PCOS right AFTER I fell pregnant with my first child - which I unfortunately lost early into the pregnancy. I never had any of the symptoms like bad periods etc. Only side effect of PCOS I did get was the insulin resistance. I felt like I had a massive hangover EVERY morning plus I could not see a darn thing after five o'clock in the afternoon. Weird? Yes, but this was due to the sugar levels/insulin going haywire. Cutting carbs and staying on my Glucophage was the only 2 things giving me some sort of relief. I am currently counting calories like most people here, and I have lost 22 Lbs since starting. I try to eat whole grain, but I do not cut out anything as I eat what my family eats - I hate preparing separate meals for myself. I just dish up less carbs at dinner and more protein. I've never been a fan of sugar/chocolate, so lucky for me it is one less struggle to go through.

I hope you find a eating plan that is right for you, but unfortunately, what works for one person, might not work for you. It took me a few years of trial and error to get the stupid symptoms under control. One thing that does however seem universal in all the posts is that less carbs are better.

Good luck to you!
  • milabean
    milabean Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Every PCOS woman should read the PCOS Workbook. I have read/worked through it a couple times and it is the best support out there. It has a slightly mindfulness approach while also using basics to educate on types of carbs and types of fats and such.
    http://www.pcosnutrition.com/index.php?fuseAction=catalogs.viewItem&catalogID=1&catalogLevelID=1&catalogItemID=1

I have started taking vitamins that are recommended in the PCOS Workbook (with my doctors approval) and it really has helped balance out my eating/cravings.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The short answer: Find what works for you.

The long answer: Lots of people will tell you to avoid refined sugars altogether, do a low carb diet, do keto, etc. etc. This works for some. You could look into the Insulin Resistance diet. This also works for some. I take 1000mg of Metformin daily, and if I cut out all refined sugars I get prone to nausea (I have no idea why). I tried a low carb diet years ago and 4 months in started getting vertigo; several hundred dollars and diagnostic tests later, I started eating bread again because comfort food and lo and behold my vertigo went away. My diet trends lower carb (100-150g per day), but I have high carb days.

Exercise and Metformin do more for me personally. The Met keeps away the belly bloat and gives me a defined waist. Exercise keeps my hormones in smooth working order. I keep my diet reasonably healthy, but it's not my main focus in terms of my PCOS.
  • AutumnFrostfall
    AutumnFrostfall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Everyone has covered a lot of what I was going to say. :)

Obviously you're not alone in having PCOS, all of us replying to you have it too. I just found out that on top of the PCOS & the insulin resistance, I have a gluten sensitivity. As more than one person has said, each of us have to figure out what works for us as we're all different. Varying symptoms of PCOS & it's effects so we each respond differently to food.

I picked up A Patient's Guide to PCOS & it helped explain some things my doctors didn't cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Patients-Guide-PCOS-Understanding---Reversing--Polycystic/dp/0805078282/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392133251&sr=1-1&keywords=a+patient's+guide+to+pcos

For me, having PCOS & not knowing about it for so long has been frustrating. I didn't know about the things I should be avoiding, so of course I wasn't making progress. I'm glad you were able to find out about it now & you're getting the information you need to come up with a game plan for dealing with it.
  • jmh79
    jmh79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @alphaloria: I'm a little behind the times on this thread, but I wanted to mention that I too have experienced some vertigo-like feelings while doing low-carb. I came to realize it was because of low electrolytes.

Not saying you need to go back to low-carb, but if you do, make sure to focus on taking supplement pills, having a cup of broth per day, or chugging some Powerade Zero once a day :)

It has done wonders for me!