How to manage emotional eating

Options
Does any one have ideas for strategies to manage emotional eating? I am great with exercise go religiously 5-6days a week but seem to fight myself when it comes to controlling eating. Any ideas would be welcome.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    For me, step (1) never be hungry. If I'm never hungry, I don't seek unhealthy foods. (2) when I DO eat to curb a mood, I'm even more strict than usual about what it is, how much of it I eat, and how long I have to wait before going back for more. (3) learn to improve your mood without food. Exercise, call a friend, etc. (4) build "treats" into your daily calorie plan, that way you don't feel deprived of the things you love

When you say you can't control your eating, what exactly does that mean? How many calories over-budget are you going? And how often does this happen?
  • 55romaine
    Options
    Thanks for your response. By not being able to control my eating I mean I keep grazing all the time once I start. If I stop myself I think about food constantly so it is a battle. If I am stressed I eat without thinking. I am not often over my calories because I work out a lot but this is not sustainable. I am definitely not hungry.
  • TLTucker80
    TLTucker80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly but it works for me First I have a journal that I write in all the time. When I think about emotional eating I write down how I'm feeling and why (if I know sometimes you don't know why you are feeling a curtain way). Then if that didn't help I color ( I always keep coloring books and colors around) or read. Something that gets my mind off of food. What else I have found that works sometimes is getting on MFP and reading the message boards.

Hope you find something that works for you and good luck along your journey!:flowerforyou:
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. By not being able to control my eating I mean I keep grazing all the time once I start. If I stop myself I think about food constantly so it is a battle. If I am stressed I eat without thinking. I am not often over my calories because I work out a lot but this is not sustainable. I am definitely not hungry.

This is my life, hopefully we get some tips!
  • healthieryear
    healthieryear Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with emotional eating for as long as I can remember. Its been such a problem for me over the years! The person who said don't let yourself get hungry is right on! Its one of the best ways to avoid emotional eating.

For me I've also just started to tell myself that I'm not going to do it. "Its not an option," is what I mentally tell myself when I get the urge to do it. When I get stressed I tend to eat. I've worked on recognizing when I am most likely to have the urge to eat because of emotion and then I just attempt to ride it out. I'll eat something healthy if I need to or if I'm hungry. Or I will eat a small portion of something not super healthy, but tell myself that if I want more I will have to pick something healthy.

It hasn't been easy, but for the most part knowing when its happening has helped. Knowing that my feelings will pass has helped. And just not allowing myself to get that attitude of "well screw it, I just don't care today, I just need to feel better right now!" Instead I think that, and then I think "Nope, I can sit here and feel like ****, feel stressed, it doesn't matter! I'm not going to let all my hard work go to waste because of it!"

OH, and I eat a lot of mints! Lots and lots of mints at this point....basically I found a food that would somewhat satisfy my need to eat a higher quantity of food that tastes really good, that wasnt' absoultey full of calories. I make sure to leave room for a very sizable portion of mints on most days haha. So maybe finding a few foods you could eat a lot of that would not be super terrible for weight gain might help too. I plan to change my mints to something healthier at some point. But for now, they work.

By the way, the less I eat due to emotion, the easier it gets not to do it. So as you change the habit you will probably find it gets easier to not engage in. :)
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    @OP - I have been really down for 3 days now and my eating has been out of control. I have not even been motivated to exercise which I am usually a die hard about. Sometimes, I think this emotional down time is very much tied to my cycle (both ovulation and pms) and I find I have to tell myself to be gentle with my expectations of myself. Still - it is very, very difficult. So, I will watch this thread and see if others have some good ideas.
  • healthieryear
    healthieryear Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Also, I work as a behaviourist and our number one rule when it comes to changing any behaviour is ALWAYS replace it with another!

So I suggest finding a replacement behaviour that works for you to do instead of emotional eating. It can be anything from drawing, listening to music, cleaning, journaling, etc. Be creative. Come on the forums if thats osmething that works for you :)
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    I tend to mindlessly graze when I'm stressed, bored or sad. So I'm learning to be more mindful. I stop and ask myself if I'm actually hungry. If I am, I have a small healthy snack. If I'm not, I drink water, chew gum, brush my teeth, go for a walk, chat with friends -- anything to redirect my brain. I'm also finding ways to directly address my stress, boredom and sadness. Hope that helps!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Also, I work as a behaviourist and our number one rule when it comes to changing any behaviour is ALWAYS replace it with another!

So I suggest finding a replacement behaviour that works for you to do instead of emotional eating. It can be anything from drawing, listening to music, cleaning, journaling, etc. Be creative. Come on the forums if thats osmething that works for you :)

I think that's a great idea. Similarly to the OP, I have a really hard time dealing with my sweet tooth cravings, especially during times when i'm frustrated.

I try to distract myself by first having a glass of water and then i go read a chapter of a book. By the time i'm done reading the chapter the urge to eat junk will have passed. It's not foolproof, but every bit helps!
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Questions:

-Why do you get emotional? -- Try to avoid those situations as much as possible

-Why do you turn to food? --- Is it because it's available? can you make healthy foods available instead of fatty foods?

-Can you turn to something else to deal with your emotions? -- call a friend, punch your pillows, cry it out, deep breathing, scream to let it all flow out

-Do you feel powerless when it comes to your emotions and food? -- What makes you feel powerful, in control? Think/do what makes you feel in control when you feel like you're losing power.

I can't tell you exactly what to do to manage your emotional eating but I can ask the right questions so hopefully you can answer them and figure out for yourself what you need to do to help manage your emotional eating. Hope this helps.
  • 55romaine
    Options
    Thanks everyone lots to think about. I will certainly try some of your suggestions.