Too busy to Work out

Options
The title says it all. I am so busy with going to school plus taking care of my boyfriend, my house and my pets I can't seem to find anytime to do any workouts. I go to school 9-2. Then I come home do housework and tend to my boyfriends needs even tho he can walk. I cook, clean for him. Sometimes it is frustrating. but I do it anyways. Because of the cold weather I don't really walk anymore. I feel bad for my pets because they miss being walked. I know these are all excuses but it is true. If anyone is in my shoes or has been through what I am going through maybe you can help me or tell me what worked for you. I made it to 194 pounds but I can't seem to go lower.

Replies

• bybyadipocytes
    bybyadipocytes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I work out at home on youtube. There are some really good channels, one I use is fitness blender. Anyway, you can find everything from 10 minute yoga videos to 60 min cardio videos and so much more. It is free and doesn't leave much room for excuses.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Show me your calender and I will show you your priorities. When it becomes important, you will make time.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Show me your calender and I will show you your priorities. When it becomes important, you will make time.

This.

Also, what's up with your boyfriend? Is he sick or something?
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    The title says it all. I am so busy with going to school plus taking care of my boyfriend, my house and my pets I can't seem to find anytime to do any workouts. I go to school 9-2. Then I come home do housework and tend to my boyfriends needs even tho he can walk. I cook, clean for him. Sometimes it is frustrating. but I do it anyways. Because of the cold weather I don't really walk anymore. I feel bad for my pets because they miss being walked. I know these are all excuses but it is true. If anyone is in my shoes or has been through what I am going through maybe you can help me or tell me what worked for you. I made it to 194 pounds but I can't seem to go lower.

Perhaps you left out a critical piece of information regarding your boyfriend, why can't your boyfriend tend to his own needs? Put another way, why does his needs take priority over yours? Unless there is a reason your boyfriend is incapable of taking care of some of his own needs and reducing the burden on you, I would suggest you stop acting like his cook and cleaner and make sometime for yourself.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I think you need to organize your life. A lot of people on here have way more going on than that and can still work out.

What's with the boyfriend? Is he injured or just a bum?
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    have to agree with everyone else..if it's important you'll find the time
  • bobby790
    Options
    Never to busy
  • shall1112
    Options
    yes, please explain what is up with your boyfriend. You're out of the house from 9-2? I'm sorry, you have a boatload of time! Prioritize. I leave my house by 7:15am and am lucky if I'm home by 7:30pm. I have 2 kids, a husband, a dog and a house to take care of. I'm not perfect at keeping to a workout schedule but I certainly try. Unfortunately 5:30am is my best option so that's when it happens.

I recently saw this quote: "Right now someone busier than you is running."
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself. They're all excuses. Stop making excuses.
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have to say if you really wanted to workout you would make time. I know people that work multiple jobs and workout at 2am... it can be done. You just have to want to do it.

Exercise isn't crucial to weight loss - you can lose weight simply with a calorie deficit. But you will have far better final results and lose weight whilst maintaining muscle if you train. Not to mention the many benefits it will have on your cardiovascular health, stress levels and even just your mood in general.

Make time! Start with 10 minutes. Get up 10 minutes earlier. Buy a cheap dvd online or us youtube. Start with 10 mins then make it 20 and soon you will automatically wake up and hour earlier to get some training in at the start of your day. It is so worth it.

Good luck!
  • SmarTam
    SmarTam Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 am and workout for an hour and go to work at 6:30 to travel almost 1 hour 45 minutes. Leave office at 4:30 and come home at 6 to make dinner for myself and my husband. Sleep at 9 to get up early. I want to watch late night shows and go out to party too, but my priority is my health and there is always some time between daily chores to do something if not every thing. Start small..look for incidental exercise like run instead of walking. Park your car a little away, carry grocerries in hand instead of shopping trolley to the parking lot (that is a good strength erercise) or jump a rope for 10 minutes meanwhile your stew is cooking. Run to catch a train even if theres 20 mintes to your train...and most important eat healthy,,,you dont need to take time out for that..just plan ahead in your mind..YOU CAN DO IT.
  • jeneferphillips89
    Options
    Get up earlier and do the workout in the morning. Do one in the evening before bed (this is my only option) or fit one in just after school. I'm a single mother (and when I say single I mean NO dad around) I go to school full time and I work full time. I spend time with my son and manage my homework all while working out planning my meals/fixing my sons meals. You can do it you simply have to make it a priority. And if your boyfriend loves you and cares about how you feel then he will understand that you need to do this for yourself. If its important to you then it should also be important to him. This is assuming that he's physically fine and is just being lazy and allowing you to carry his weight around the home.
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I hear you on being busy. I have five kids, work from home with my husband running our own business, have school runs and kindy for 3 of my kids and I homeschool my eldest, my youngest is still a baby. I find that I just have to schedule time and stick to it. It helps us to print out a weekly timetable and work out where there's a few hours here and there and block it off for exercise. I go to the gym 5 days a week for about 1-2 hours at a time, 3 of those days are right after school drop off in the morning, the other 2 are at night time around dinner and hubby gets dinner sorted and kids into bed on those nights, but then we also work as a team, and pick up each others slack. He also goes out to the gym for around 90mins each morning at 5am because that's when he'd prefer to go and that's his main block of free time throughout the week.

If you want it bad enough you figure out a way to make it work. I used to tell myself I didn't have time, but then I'd find myself sitting down for 3 hours watching TV or reading at night, if I had a exercise bike or treadmill at home I could have been walking and doing the same thing. Even without those things I could be doing leg lifts, wall squats, I had a fitball and some handweights so I could have been using them too. Do a search on working out at home in the forums here you'll find 100's of ideas.
  • Rdlm1001
    Rdlm1001 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You just don't want to, and that is ok. Just own it. When you are ready you will. Can be hard to motivate in the winter. Own your choices and empower yourself. You choose to care take your man at the sacrifice of yourself. It's ok. It is common. When you are tired of it, you will change. Just don't go into the hopeless pictures. Good luck!
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Perhaps you left out a critical piece of information regarding your boyfriend, why can't your boyfriend tend to his own needs? Put another way, why does his needs take priority over yours? Unless there is a reason your boyfriend is incapable of taking care of some of his own needs and reducing the burden on you, I would suggest you stop acting like his cook and cleaner and make sometime for yourself.

This!

And if you don't want to exercise that's different, just eat less calories (that you won't be burning) and you can still lose weight! And walk the dog!!! That's cruel!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I'm am of the school of you don't find time you make it.

There are 1440 mins in a day surely if your boyfriend is an adult he can take care of himself and the pets for at least 30-60mins of them.

I have friends on here with 6 children, others with 3 separate jobs with partners and pets and they are able to make time to work out.

Because I am not in your exact situation I can not tell you how to prioritize your life but I would hazard a guess that like most people in your position I think it is more of a mental attitude adjustment that you need, as in if you take care of your physical/mental health all of these overwhelming tasks and how to prioritize them will become much easier.

Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life.

Definitely would recommend you make time for exercise as it is great for the body and mind and contributes towards creating a calorie deficit. But weight-loss is caused by a calorie deficit, so maybe you are eating too much.

Maybe not exactly what you asked for but hope that helps.
  • sandhusaab16
    Options
    Excuses Doesn't burn calories..work out do...
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Try BEACHBODY ...10 minute trainer!
    it's 10 minutes!!!! you can do 1-2-3 a day...depending your free time...but I don't believe you don't have 10 minutes.

And don't think it's easy...Oh god! it isn't..... you'll burn!

I've completed this program and still add some to my programs as an extra!... it's quick and effective.

Hope this help.

Good luck
  • 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member
    Options

This /I\. Exercise is not necessary to lose weight, accountable eating is. I’m sure you eat every day, ensure you end each day with a caloric deficit and the weight will fall off. If you can never find time to work out then it is imperative that you monitor what you eat (more so than usual). Don’t make excuses, make progress.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I work full time, take care of my two young girls, look after the house, am in the middle of a not so nice separation, and still find time to workout. Why? Because I place a priority on looking after myself - I know that placing myself first for 60ish minutes a day, 5 days a week doesn't make me selfish, it makes me better at everything else I do.