Too busy to Work out

Options

Replies

• morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I work out at home on youtube. There are some really good channels, one I use is fitness blender. Anyway, you can find everything from 10 minute yoga videos to 60 min cardio videos and so much more. It is free and doesn't leave much room for excuses.

I do this. And I go to school full time plus work full time plus have a boyfriend and chores and homework. you just need to commit to some workout... even if its 30 min.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    There was a thread awhile back, about what time you get up to exercise. I get up at 3:20 AM on work days to stairclimb for 1/2 hr. I work 12 hr shifts, and start at 5 AM..... And I wasn't anywhere near the earliest riser in that thread.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it you want to workout you need to make time. You need to make the time to take care of yourself.

I don't mean to pry, but why do you cook and clean for your boyfriend? Can't he do that stuff himself?
  • jacklo
    jacklo Posts: 17
    Options
    Just to add to what poster shinkalork suggested, I've seen the 10 Minute Trainer videos and as long as you work out with all-out intensity, that, when combined with a diet that puts you in a caloric deficit, will do the job (although your progress MAY come a little slower than others who workout and diet harder or smarter).

If you can't afford those videos, you can find similar workouts on YouTube. They need to put on some more clothes, but just run a YouTube search using "bodyrock".

Lastly, even if you never do one workout, so long as you are operating at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. There are different ways to achieve this, some smarter than others. Do some research and find one that works for you. That said, count calories meticulously (although that in itself can be time consuming, assuming you're not eating the same foods all the time). My guess is that a lot of people consume more calories than they think they are.

Exercise more and eat less. Or exercise more and eat the same. Or eat less and don't exercise. In the end, it boils down to math.

Good luck to you (and your boyfriend). If you can become the healthiest person you can be, you will have more energy, and your boyfriend and pets will thank you.

P.S., congrats on losing as much weight as you already have.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If it's important to you- you can make it happen. 30
    Minutes can give you enough time to get in a great workout. Believe in yourself. Know your worth it and do it!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    So......school 9-2, then cooking and cleaning from 2 till bedtime? You must have the cleanest house and most elaborate meals ever. Sorrynotsorry, but sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. There are people on here with full time jobs, go to school, have kids, take care of their home and STILL find time to workout.
  • elvie64
    elvie64 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm always surprised by how much activity I can fit into a routine that seems full. I used to walk to the bus, I find that by leaving 10 minutes earlier, I can skip the bus and walk right to the train (that's almost 20 minutes return on 10 minutes of input from the schedule). I don't stand and wait for anything, I pace. When I walk somewhere, I pick the hilliest/roughest route. If there isn't a walk light on in the direction I'm heading, I go across the street and back with the light. If the elevator isn't waiting when I get in the lobby, I take the stairs. I average 7+ miles a day walking without officially "working out".
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    You go to school shorter than an 8 hr work day take care of the house just like most folks... anything else?

Because I do not see how that qualifies as being too busy. You cannot be serious. Am I missing something here?

I will say that you probably did burn calories with the basic schedule you have. You can do fitnessblender, youtube, etc. You just need to learn to fit it in.

I know you feel like after school, taking care of the household, and homework, you have no time for yourself and I know how that can be but come on girl you got to know that is all nothing but excuses your spewing. Most got way more on they plate then what you spelled out, even if they are taking care of someone disabled.

Get it together.
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    If anyone is in my shoes or has been through what I am going through maybe you can help me or tell me what worked for you.

I stopped being a martyr and realised that the most important person in my life is me. And if I had a partner that expected me to do everything for him then that is an abusive relationship (I learned this the hard way). Does your partner make you do these things and make you feel awful if you don't? Or are you doing this out of your own sense of obligation?
    I do thing like cooking for my current boyfriend (because he simply has no idea) but he does a lot for me too. It is give and take. He encourages me when I want to do things. He spots me when I lift weights, if I need him to.

Having said that, I understand that once you've fallen into the habit of doing these things it can be hard to stop, and difficult to realise that YOU are IMPORTANT and worthy of investing time into. It seems like you want to take control and do the things you want to do. The only way to do this is to just start. Even if it's sporadic. Just start. Half an hour dedicated to yourself at this point may see a lot, but it really is not.
    If you can't do this, if you partner does not support you, then you need to seek help (via a counsellor or a friend, or even a stranger if need be) to build your self-esteem to a point where you can push back or leave. No one is worth sacrificing yourself for, and believe me when I tell you that love and respect needs to be reciprocated.
    If the issue is within yourself then you need to ask why. Again you need to feel worthy of this. You deserve to live the life you want to live. You only get one crack at life- this is your time and your decision.

Best of luck to you. Feel free to friend me if you would like support xx
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Is your boyfriend an invalid? If not, then make him do some cooking and cleaning. You need to make time to workout, although working out isn't required for weight loss. It just helps your body look better and it can help your cardiovascular health.
  • SLIMGIRL86
    Options
    wow u sound like me i dont know when to work out im going to try 15 min sessions in the morning and before bed
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    You have to want to do it.

I got my Master's degree, volunteered at 2 different locations, and was the only caregiver to my then terminally ill mother. I spent hours at the hospital with her as she wasted away from cancer and graduated with a 3.8 overall GPA with my MBA.

I STILL found time to work out.

So, yea. The whole "I don't have time" excuse? It is NO excuse. If you want it, you find time for it. If you don't find time for it... well then, it must not be important.
  • Michealwho
    Michealwho Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Someone may have said this already...you need to be selfish. The housework can wait, your bf won't starve if dinner is an hour late and the dogs can be exercised when you have more time. Right now you need to take time for yourself and don't feel guilty about it.

My work day is about 12 hours long, with travel to and from, etc and I manage to help out around the home at night. I just fit my exercise in around it all.

I get up at 5am so I can ride for an hour. When I'm on the couch watching tv with my wife, I use my hand weights or do an ab workout. When I'm waiting for the washing machine to finish, I use my skipping rope, even for just 5 minutes. Try to find, 10, 15, 20 or more minutes somewhere in each day to do something. It's better than doing nothing.

Good luck!
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    ... Then I come home do housework and tend to my boyfriends needs even tho he can walk. I cook, clean for him. ...

However long it takes you each day to do this ^^ swap it with taking your poor dogs for a walk or doing a workout. Start putting your self before your boyfriend. If he can walk he can do housework and cook dinner himself.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Well, it was not mentioned what was wrong with the OP's boyfriend, so maybe it could be an abusive relationship, where she may not be able to actually state what is going on because he might read it. I don't know. But, to the OP, Just do what you can do and do not let him bring you down.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am goin gto go against the trend here and say don't worry about exercise at the moment then. Exercise is for fitness. All your weight loss needs is a calorie deficit. Sort out your diet and you will lose weight. In a few months you might find the time to exercise more easily.

I always found that dragging myself out of bed an hour earlier is completely counter productive to weight loss. Not only does it stimulates my appetite to the point that I want a 1000 extra calories for the 200 I just burned, if I get up early I crave even more food, because I am tired. Ultimately it was never sustainable for me to do so it only made me hate it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    There is a 7 minute workout app.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Making the time to workout has more to do with prioritizing it than the actual time you have...If it's not that high on your list of priorities, then you won't do it. It doesn't make you a bad person or anything, it just means that other things are more important to you right now.